Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Dropped 5er with Pullrite SuperGlide?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Dropped 5er with Pullrite SuperGlide?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/15 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

johndeerefarmer wrote:

up2nogood wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

johndeerefarmer wrote:

I have only had mine a few months. I always do the pull test but for added insurance have one of these. Lots cheaper than a tailgate and new sides for your truck bed.

http://www.5thwheellatchkit.com/

Look at the bottom pics on the site listed. It is a B&W hitch. If you have their product you would have to get your face right up there to install the bar with this product. So if all you did instead is LOOK at the jaws to see they are wrapped around the kingpin and the hitch and kingpin plates are touching and the hitch handle is closed and locked it can't come un hitched.

Put the bar in place is just another step just like doing a visual.

[image][image]

Same is true with the Reese two jaw hitch.

He fails to realize, that all hitches require these same steps. the two are touching, the jaw is closed ,and the handle is locked. Good grief there is nothing else, unfortunately some do not do all the correct things resulting in a dropped fifth wheel.

Just because the jaws are closed doesn't mean that it's locked. On the Pullrite the jaw can close around the visible part of the pin and it still might not be locked. Furthermore, I can visually see that my added latch kit is in fact latched- no ifs, ands or buts.

I understand your system and I may do the same if I had a SB truck.

I look at the jaws closed around the kingpin and then lock the handle closed. It can't come undone at that point with the hitch I pictured above.

Neither can the Reese. I do it every time.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 103k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

Davidg53

Home

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/15 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is why I like my B&W turnoverball and Goosebox. There is no doubt when that socket sits down over that 2 5/16" ball, and the lock lever snaps. There are several other reasons I like it, but this is one of the main ones.

nineback

Northeast Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/15 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did you get the locks through the pins. Mine only has holes large enough for carter pins. The locking lever has a hole larger enough for a lock.

Tom

Cummins12V98 wrote:

tinner12002 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

jnharley wrote:

We had a Pullrite for 11 years and never had a problem with it. We now have a B&W hitch with the puck system in our new Dodge dually. We always do a pull test, we both visually check, and we do a light check. Safety is a priority for us and none of this takes more than a minute to accomplish.

I assume your RAM is newer than the 12 listed in your sig. 13 and newer RAM's have the puck system if ordered that way. Great option!

Your choice to do a pull test if you want but after doing your visual test and all looks correct no way can it unhitch. Of course you can if you so choose!

Is this what your hitch looks like?

[image]

I have the same setup mostly because of the hitches available for the new Ram factory setup. I have mine locked to bed but never thought about locks in pins and on locking handle...probably a good idea!

I think the locks are a good idea, some on here will tell you what a waste they are but hey do what works for you! Enjoy the Truck and hitch.

2015 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
Aisin with 4:10
Columbus 320RS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/15 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nineback,

I drilled the holes out and eased the hole edges with a countersink. I transferred those same pins to my new Companion shown in the pic above you posted.

I believe I drilled the holes to a larger size to fit the larger two padlocks that attach to the puck locks.

Yes I have been accused of being a lock-a-holic!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bellpr

Northeast Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/15 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Pullrite and I have never had any issues with dropping the 5er. Been towing with it since 2002.

COnative

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/15 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had a problem. Keep the king pin a little lower than the hitch plate and let it ride up an inch or two. The release arm goes click and slams in. DONE... If it doesn't, you are not hitched prorperly. Adjust height of 5er, lower is better. Always do the pull test. simple insurance...

* This post was edited 09/08/15 09:34pm by COnative *

2014 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Mega
05 StarCraft Homestead Rancher 29BHTS 5er
Pullrite Slider hitch
Champion Remote Start 3100 Watt Inverter Gen Set

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I can't understand is why so many are dead set against doing a pull test, or a tug-test as it's referred to in the trucking industry. It's cheap insurance...yet costs nothing. I'm glad you guys don't drive tractor-trailer with that carefree attitude.

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last hitch was a Pullrite Super 5th, but since they didn't see it necessary to make mounting kits for newer trucks using older hitches, I went with a Demco Recon this time, and love it more. But I can't see how it could ever drop a trailer the way it's designed. It's idiot-proof. You're far more likely to drop with a split-jaw type, which still amazes me anyone still uses this design.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

johndeerefarmer wrote:

I have only had mine a few months. I always do the pull test but for added insurance have one of these. Lots cheaper than a tailgate and new sides for your truck bed.

http://www.5thwheellatchkit.com/

Look at the bottom pics on the site listed. It is a B&W hitch. If you have their product you would have to get your face right up there to install the bar with this product. So if all you did instead is LOOK at the jaws to see they are wrapped around the kingpin and the hitch and kingpin plates are touching and the hitch handle is closed and locked it can't come un hitched.

Put the bar in place is just another step just like doing a visual.

[image][image]

JIMMY034

See the pics I posted 4 years ago. Same thing today, B&W hitch is simply hitched and no need to do more than a "VISUAL" test. Handle closed and locked with jaws around kingpin = GOLDEN.

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't think I've ever seen a thread raised from the dead after FOUR YEARS!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Dropped 5er with Pullrite SuperGlide?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS