cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lincoln mkx 2016

grimshaw
Explorer
Explorer
The owners manual for the 2016 lincoln MKX states that the vehicle can be flat towed four down. IT CAN NOT BE TOWED. 8 days with the dealer and Lincoln tech support finally determined any 2016 MKX is not towable. The dealer refunded all the costs and took the car back after the regional rep told us no tow. The manual is wrong. Thank you to Norm Reeves Lincoln for being so professional.
33 REPLIES 33

creativepart
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2016 MKX, after putting the car in neutral tow mode you turn the car off. However we have push button start. The owners manual instructions are what you should follow.
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad

cav817
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a slightly used 2014 Lincoln MKX. Ordered base plate etc. Tested putting the MKX into neutral. It worked but the engine lite stays lit. Is that normal in accessory mode? Thanks!

creativepart
Explorer
Explorer
Canuck1, that's good to know. I wish I could have bought the ACC equipped MKX. But when I purchased mine Roadmaster didn't have ANY 2016 MKX baseplate available let alone one with ACC.

I'm happy with the way the MKX tows behind the RV. It's working great. We took it on a month-long trip this past May with zero issues.
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad

Canuck1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 MKX with the 2.7 EcoBoost and Adaptive Cruise Control. Posters are correct that Blue Ox does not have a base plate that works with Adaptive Cruise. I know first hand, because I had my vehicle in their Fitment Program and after 3 days they told me they could not fabricate a plate that would work with the adaptive cruise. I was bummed out so I called Roadmaster and they recently confirmed for me that they DO HAVE a plate that will work with the adaptive cruise. I am awaiting delivery as we speak.

2002 Triple E Signature A3607GW
300HP Cat, Allison MH3000
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

creativepart
Explorer
Explorer
ALL 2016 MKXs can be flat towed. But you can't get a baseplate for one with Adapative Cruise Control. Other than that restriction. ALL 2016 MKXs can be flat towed.

Here's what happened - when the 2016 first came out they had a software issue where they would not go into Neutral Tow mode. Lincoln did two things. First they told all dealers that the cars could not be flat towed THEN they fixed the software issue on all newer cars (and they retroactively upgraded the software on those 2016's with the problematic software).

It seems the dealers only registered the first "do not tow" info because they didn't want to be stuck returning vehicles.

It's in the current manual. There are no retractions about this feature. Lincoln will confirm this. If you happened to get an older 2016 that won't go into Neutral Tow mode all you need is a software update. All others - that will go into Neutral Tow mode are good to flat-tow. Just like the manual and Lincoln says.
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a whole lot of homework. I have asked Lincoln spokesmen directly and consulted both their owners manual and their towing guide. In every instance they said that ALL Mkts can be towed four down, but the dealers say no, so who am I to believe? It is a conundrum.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
From my understanding you must have the 3.7l engine and not the eco-boost engine. Could be mistaken but that is what is being told from out Ford dealer. Please do you homework so your not out $$$$ for repairs..
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your reply. I will do what you suggested.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad

creativepart
Explorer
Explorer
There is no problem with the EcoBoost. Only the Adaptive Cruise Control. The baseplate gets in the way of the radar sensors.

Mine is not EcoBoost, though I wanted that. I could not find a EcoBoost in stock with Sync 3 and without ACC. I found the EcoBoost models with Lincoln Mytouch or with Sync3 and ACC. But not EcoBoost, Sync3 and no ACC.

Your Dealer is misinformed. Talk to Lincoln.

I would not buy one without Sync3.

Go to your dealer, get him in the car and put it in Neutral Tow Mode as per the manual. That's what I had to do. I showed the salesman, then the manager and then the service manager.

My dealer had been telling people that it would not work for 6-months. My salesman called me last week to thank me, he said the official word was now that it is flat towable at their dealership. One of the largest Lincoln dealers in Texas.
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report, ceativepart, and best of luck with your new tow car. I had really wanted the Eco-Boost, and I'm still puzzled because the manual says it can be towed but dealer says no. I wish Lincoln and their dealers could be on the same page so that customers would not be left hopelessly confused.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad

creativepart
Explorer
Explorer
Reporting back on this. We are flat towing our 2016 MKX without any problems. We had to convince the Dealer it would work. The dealer said it wouldn't but we got the Sales Manager to call Lincoln and tech support told them it did indeed work fine.

It is detailed in the owners manual and works fine.

You turn on the car without starting it then go into Settings > Vehicle > Neutral Tow Mode and hold down the OK button. Then with your foot on the brake tap N on the gear selector. The car's display reads Neutral Tow Mode Engaged. Then you turn off the car. Done.

Tows great.

Be aware that only BlueOx makes a baseplate for the 2016 MKX but only for cars without Adaptive Cruise Control.

We love our MKX and love taking it on trips with the RV.

PS. They stipulate 65mph only. And running the engine before towing every day and every 600 mi during the day.
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
creativepart wrote:
Just purchased a 2016 MKX non-ecoboost, no adaptive cruise control to use as a toad.

The Manual says it's towable. MHCA says it's towable. BlueOx says it's towable. So, we're towing it.

Simple as that.

Thank you for the confirmation. Its official, 2016 MKX is toable!

creativepart
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2016 MKX non-ecoboost, no adaptive cruise control to use as a toad.

The Manual says it's towable. FMCA says it's towable. BlueOx says it's towable. So, we're towing it.

Simple as that.
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, Ford's hybrid vehicles, the Ford Fusion Hybrid and C-max hybrid are fully flat towable from the factory, and have a rock solid, proven, reliable track record for such. People have been towing them for years without a problem. I also believe that is the case for the Lincoln MKZ hybrid.

Sooo, not really accurate to say that Ford doesn't have a flat towable model anymore. They most certainly do, with their hybrid vehicles.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")