cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water issues

beverlto
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I've located and fixed a leak in the corner of my slide out, I've found another water issue... There is some kind of leak near my shower. I can't tell if it's coming from outside or inside. The floorboards under my linoleum have very gradually swollen along a seam. I'm not seeing any kind of plumbing leak inside, but it's very tough to see underneath the shower and sink. At the same time there is a growing wrinkle in the fiberglass on the outside, and there are signs of dry rot along the bottom skirt of the motorhome.

I plain can't afford a technician to look at it. I have no way to pay for anything up front and no credit available due to lots of medical and other vehicle repair bills.

Any advice about how to locate this thing and at least stop the leak would be incredibly helpful.

This is a 2006 Winnebago Outlook class C motorhome.
Tom B.
"If you do not change directions, you will end up where you are going." - Chinese proverb
8 REPLIES 8

beverlto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this! I've inspected the drain connection to the shower pan, and looked around underneath the shower pan, but everything's dry. Likewise, there aren't any visible leaks in the water lines that run under the shower.

I finally bought an inexpensive USB borescope to take a closer look. At less than $20, I figured it was worth a try before damaging the linoleum to get underneath it. I'll post how well the borescope works.
Tom B.
"If you do not change directions, you will end up where you are going." - Chinese proverb

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The drain in the shower has been posted a number of times on this Forum as a potential leak point. If the pipe leaks where it attaches to the shower pan, water can run on the underneath surface of the pan and cause havoc.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
In my case I was able to take care of the leak in my rv that was created by excessive water pressure that overcame the ability of the screw on connector on the water line which was not readily accessible. Dropped the pressure to about 40 psi and not a leak since over a period of 3 years.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
You might try checking the incoming water pressure to the rv if you're hooked up to an external source of water. I had a serious leak once at an rv park where I was hooked up to their water system. Turned out their was in excess of 70 psi. Some rvs can take this amount of pressure but not mine. I now always check incoming water pressures and attach a pressure reducer before I hook up the water line.

A worthwhile tip in general. Unfortunately, this is no help to the OP in finding the specific location of the leak.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
You might try checking the incoming water pressure to the rv if you're hooked up to an external source of water. I had a serious leak once at an rv park where I was hooked up to their water system. Turned out their was in excess of 70 psi. Some rvs can take this amount of pressure but not mine. I now always check incoming water pressures and attach a pressure reducer before I hook up the water line.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
beverlto wrote:
Thanks for taking a look at my post! That's the strange part: the drain and fresh water lines that run under the shower appear to be dry. The water is somehow getting between the linoleum and floorboards. Sometimes the drip edge around the shower gets a little water in it, but seemingly not enough to cause this. This is more like bulk water damage without a source.

Go out during a heavy rain and inspect the area. Make extra sure you are extra careful that morning with the shower drapes to keep the area dry during your morning shower.

See what you find...

beverlto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for taking a look at my post! That's the strange part: the drain and fresh water lines that run under the shower appear to be dry. The water is somehow getting between the linoleum and floorboards. Sometimes the drip edge around the shower gets a little water in it, but seemingly not enough to cause this. This is more like bulk water damage without a source.
Tom B.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Water getting by the shower curtain or behind the faucets or how about a bad seal at the drain?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)