cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disable Steering wheel lock 05 Liberty

timotb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Liberty 4x4 that will be towed behind an RV coach. Today we discovered, during a test, while being towed behind the RV and with the ignition off, a sharp turn will engage the steering wheel lock causing the front wheels to bind and not return to neutral.

How can the steering wheel lock be disabled? Turning the ignition to ON will bypass the lock and will run the battery down. Installing a battery disconnect so the key can remain in the ON position bypasses the tow brake assist. With the key in the accessory position, the steering wheel lock will still engage in a turn.

Suggestions?
15 REPLIES 15

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
The key must stay in the ignition,......because you can't get it out in off only position.
Main tran does not have to be in park, but either N or P is ok.

Read the Owners Manual. Follow the instructions contained therein.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

BennieH
Explorer
Explorer
Disabled the steering lock on 3 vehicles so far. I save the parts and put them back at trade in time. Any good mechanic can do it.
Bob & Pam
2003 Monaco Camelot 40PBDD
Ford Edge or Chevy Silverado toad.

Post your Park Reviews at:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The key must stay in the ignition,......because you can't get it out in off only position.
Main tran does not have to be in park, but either N or P is ok.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
timotb wrote:
So if I use the dumb key, the proper tow position is transfer neutral and transmission neutral? The dumb key allows the ignition to be off in tow?

Transmission should be in PARK.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Just another matter of talking before actually knowing.
I towed an 05 liberty for 2 years, not a problem, just turn the key to off, not lock.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
QUOTE: "Yes, the steering lock can be disabled on nearly any vehicle. Just have your mechanic remove the steering wheel, remove the lock pin, and reinstall the wheel. Or, do it yourself, if you have the expertise to mess with the explosive airbag."

Yikes, actually there are videos on line that can help with this and the proper way to handle air bags. If they can steal them from your car without them going off you can disable them to remove the wheel. On my 08 JK it has a

"clock spring" failure. It's some type of device that is connected with the airbag, to get to it is more than I care to bother with.It requires dismantling the steering column. Once it's done Im going to have them leave the pin out so i don't

need to use the key when towing and having to pull the master fuse.

timotb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Page 14 in the manual shows the key positions. Hopefully the locked and unlocked offs will be easy to differentiate by key being able to be removed or not.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Page 221 of the 2005 Jeep Liberty owners manual shows and describes the ignition switch and how it works.

Page 287-288 describes the recreational towing procedure in detail.

Our Liberty is a 2011, but also looked at it and the procedure is the same. Now, a CRD is a little different.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Key positions, from left to right, should be:
"ACC" (key can not be removed);
"Off, locked" (the key can be removed);
"Off, not locked" (key can not be removed);
"On" (key can not be removed);
"Start" (spring loaded to return to "ON", key can not be removed).

Somewhere in the manual there is a diagram of the switch positions.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

timotb
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have the manual in front of me on this topic. No specifics on how to have a key and stirring lock off at same time. Are there two key positions of ON before off and acc.? Still looking.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The instructions are in the Owners Manual.
IIRC, it is(it has been a while since I sold my '06 Liberty):
Transmission in Park
Transfer case in Neutral
Ignition switch in "OFF, not locked" position. Smart key or dumb key, makes no difference.
Be sure parking brake is released before driving off.
Come to think of it, the instructions for the Liberty are exactly the same as those for the '06 Wrangler I had!

Yes, the steering lock can be disabled on nearly any vehicle. Just have your mechanic remove the steering wheel, remove the lock pin, and reinstall the wheel. Or, do it yourself, if you have the expertise to mess with the explosive airbag.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

timotb
Explorer
Explorer
phays wrote:
On my 2006 the ignition is in the off position, not ACC. I use a dumb key. Once the transfer case is in neutral, I put the dumb key in and turn to the on position. Shift the transmission out of park and then turn the key off. It won't go past the off position. Now put transmission back in park and leave the ignition key alone. Been doing this for 8 years with no problems.

Don't know if the steering lock can be defeated.

I found a "dumb key" that I never knew what it was for. Using my smart key, had to return the transmission to park while the transfer case was neutral to remove the key.

So if I use the dumb key, the proper tow position is transfer neutral and transmission neutral? The dumb key allows the ignition to be off in tow?

timotb
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
On my 2004 Libby there is a position between off and on where the wheel is unlocked but no systems are getting power. Are you sure yours is not similar?

good point. I dont remember after driving this vehicle 100k miles. I will have to check.

phays
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2006 the ignition is in the off position, not ACC. I use a dumb key. Once the transfer case is in neutral, I put the dumb key in and turn to the on position. Shift the transmission out of park and then turn the key off. It won't go past the off position. Now put transmission back in park and leave the ignition key alone. Been doing this for 8 years with no problems.

Don't know if the steering lock can be defeated.