Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Composting Toilet

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Has anyone switch to the composting toilet? Is so, please expound on your experience with the conversion.

Thanks,
Bill
122 REPLIES 122

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Dalton07 wrote:
I bought this natureโ€™s head RV self contained composting toilet to be installed in my RV. It's an appropriate option. This product has durable construction with stainless steel hardware, simple to disassemble for easy dumping, features a low volume fan inside the toiletโ€™s head to dissipate odor effectively. I was also thrilled to see how well it did, keeping my bathroom odor-free.

Wow, you revived an old thread that hasn't seen activity in nearly five years.

I came here to add my .02, which is that I have an Air Head Composting Toilet in my truck camper and it works great.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

taycotrains
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Composting schmomposting. Poo needs to be bathed in plenty of clean, fresh water prior to disposal.

and after that chase it with more water !!!!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Composting schmomposting. Poo needs to be bathed in plenty of clean, fresh water prior to disposal.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
gitpicker2009 wrote:
You don't have poo when it's done. It's sort of a fine, dry earth. With the fan doing it's job, you don't even have odor.
Here's a link to the one I have:

http://airheadtoilet.com/

After two years, yes. The problem is that there are two different classifications of toilets, and people call them both 'composting'.

One kind keeps the poo in the toilet for years, until it is done composting. That is too much weight for an rv.

The other kind needs to be emptied before it is finished.

How often do you empty yours? Whst happens to the fresh poo if you use the toilet in the morning and then empty it that afternoon?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have poo when it's done. It's sort of a fine, dry earth. With the fan doing it's job, you don't even have odor.
Here's a link to the one I have:

http://airheadtoilet.com/

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
gitpicker2009 wrote:
I've got one on my sailboat and I love it.
It's very common on boats and it's much easier than the pump out stations at marinas.

Where do you put the poo when you empty the thing?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I've got one on my sailboat and I love it.
It's very common on boats and it's much easier than the pump out stations at marinas.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I love about my TC vs my 5th wheel is how easy it is to dump the tanks. Look in the driver mirror and stop spot on every time. I could see a composting toilet if I was going to stay in a certain place for a very long time. But we travel with the camper on the truck and have no problems dealing with that nasty old blank tank. Piece of cake. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about putting the poo in vacuum bags? Nonononono! It needs fresh air to compost.

brdprey
Explorer
Explorer
Bob B wrote:
The Wynns recommend using the cocoa coir instead of peat moss ..... much easier to store.

but im a glutton for punishment. i would find out how much in weight it took to do the first batch.
then i would get some vacuum bags and section out exactly that. then put them in a box. you can stack some of that air less stuff nicely.
i love my vacuum packer.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
It would be REALLY cool if rv dump stations had a composting section!

Because yes, that is the problem. Composting poo requires 2 years, in a temperate climate. And you cannot carry 2 years' worth of poo around with you.

But I have only once seen an rv park that had composting for VEGETABLE scraps, so I think we have a ways to go.

brdprey
Explorer
Explorer
after watching the wynns. i asked why not?
-you can have a couple containers one for the urine, one for the fecal compost.

i dont have one yet. i will.

then i went to the youtube and asked, using human remains for compost.
its quite interesting how fertilizer is acquired. by mixing it with the media it helps dry it out.
if you put the compost mix in with other stuff that is in a compost bin they recommend that you leave it for 1 year. that allows mother nature to deem the poo, usable.
one guy even says. keep your pee. sealed for 6 monts. :E
imagine that smell when you open it. then you create an irrigation system and dilute the urine with good water and water your tomatoes and other plants since they nitrogen is so high.

this intrigued me. but im not sure how to store this used media with out spilling it or adding to much weight to the tv.

would be kinda cool to have bins that you could drop off a bag of mix solids and that get used to help out farm lands or forest generations for the clear cutters.

i think it has potential but like one guys said. we fear our own ****.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
A tiny splish of rubbing alcohol works, too.

simplysailing
Explorer
Explorer
PLEASE do not put bleach in the urine container. It holds urine, which is ammonia based. Bleach and ammonia do not play nicely together. Instead, try vinegar. It neutralizes the ammonia in the urine and helps keep the smell down. IF you are talking about the type of composting head that separates the liquids. We put a 1/4 cup of vinegar in the liquids container of our Air Head every time we empty it. Works great! We've also not had a fly problem in the 5 years we've had our Air Head, mostly in the tropics.