cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MPG loss carrying Canoe on TV?

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We're trying to figure out a way to have a watercraft with us as we travel the country. If we carry a canoe on top of the TV will we lose even more gas mileage? We now get a whopping 8.4 mpg pulling the trailer.

Anybody have experience carrying a canoe (or other boat) long distances?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
28 REPLIES 28

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
pasusan wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
You realise this thread goes back to 12/26/15.
Like I said before if a few bucks for gas is going to be a big deal you might as well sell everything and go sit on the porch at the retirement center.

Bill
OP here - thanks so much for stopping back in again to repeat your thoughts. A lot of folks had interesting things to say about aerodynamics and how boats or bike racks affected their mpg.

We are retired now and often travel with our B instead of the TT, and not often at water spots, so not missing the canoe.

Don't know how this thread came back - I thought they were closed after a year. :h

Looks like people with lots of time to look deep in the old post.
Looked at your profile and the most northernmost part of PA would be the Erie area. I was in the area this summer at the time of "The Roar on The Shore"
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Like I said before if a few bucks for gas is going to be a big deal you might as well sell everything and go sit on the porch at the retirement center.

Bill
OP here - thanks so much for stopping back in again to repeat your thoughts. A lot of folks had interesting things to say about aerodynamics and how boats or bike racks affected their mpg.

We are retired now and often travel with our B instead of the TT, and not often at water spots, so not missing the canoe.

Don't know how this thread came back - I thought they were closed after a year. :h

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option is to buy a toy Hauler the next time you shop RV's.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
rtate wrote:
When I had a bumper pull I built a rack for my kayak that went over the roof of the pickup and out over the bed. I check my milage pretty closely and did notice a slight improvement with the kayak on top. I am guessing that it broke up the airflow flowing over the cab of the truck down into the bed and hitting the front of the trailer. Actually improved the airflow somewhat.

First off, I agree with everyone who said you shouldn't worry about this if all you are concerned with is gas mileage. Leave the boat home and save a few bucks if that is the total issue.

It all comes down to air flow and rtate brings up a good issue but you will never really know until you pay attention. I tow an Airstream and they are pretty good aerodynamically speaking. I was getting between 10 and 13 miles towing on long trips.I have close to 48,000 total towing miles now. I added a bike rack to the back and noticed that my mileage went down a good 1 mpg even if the rack was empty! The disruption in flow created enough turbulence to cause the change. We still take our bikes because we want to ride them. I always laughed when I saw pickup trucks with their tailgates removed. One person told me it was to increase mileage. The fact is, as was determined by lab testing, this actually hurt mileage because the trucks were designed to have better air flow with the tailgate in place.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

rtate
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a bumper pull I built a rack for my kayak that went over the roof of the pickup and out over the bed. I check my milage pretty closely and did notice a slight improvement with the kayak on top. I am guessing that it broke up the airflow flowing over the cab of the truck down into the bed and hitting the front of the trailer. Actually improved the airflow somewhat.
2014 Ram CTD 4x2 SRW 3.42 68 RE auto trans
Big Horn 3055RL

Restless

San Marcos Tx

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you have some time to try it out yourself. I would just start a log and note if the mileage is much different. After a few trips you will probably be able to answer those questions yourself. Good luck.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

rtate
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a bumper pull and carried a 15 foot Kayak on top of my truck, I actually noticed about 1/2 mpg improvement in milage. Probably helped the air flow.
2014 Ram CTD 4x2 SRW 3.42 68 RE auto trans
Big Horn 3055RL

Restless

San Marcos Tx

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
pasusan wrote:
OP here - thanks to all who responded! We are on the fence at this moment whether to get an inflatable or carry our hard sided canoe.

It does seem that the mpg difference won't be much to consider... I just have a hard time picturing the big old canoe on top of the truck for long trips, just for the possibility of using it. We will be retiring within the next couple of years and will be taking longer trips - not to go to one CG with water, but to go all over - sometimes being near water.

We've got some time to think about it before we need to do something. ๐Ÿ™‚

Let me see, you bought your setup to have fun right? You are worried about a few tenths in mileage?? I have seen more of a drop in mileage from a head wind.
I was paying over $4.50 a gallon for diesel last year. Are you going to stay home if gas goes up $.50? The canoe is a minor thing quit obsessing and go have fun.
Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
-Mark Twain

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
K3WE wrote:
pasusan wrote:
OP here - thanks to all who responded! We are on the fence at this moment whether to get an inflatable or carry our hard sided canoe.

It does seem that the mpg difference won't be much to consider... I just have a hard time picturing the big old canoe on top of the truck for long trips, just for the possibility of using it. We will be retiring within the next couple of years and will be taking longer trips - not to go to one CG with water, but to go all over - sometimes being near water.

Wish I had a pic. You need a good canoe rack- camper or not. You are right- you LOOK loaded.

But canoe camping is EXCELLENT!

Um,,, around here if you tell someone that they "LOOK loaded" it means something other then what I believe you were trying to say.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:

Wish I had a pic. You need a good canoe rack- camper or not. You are right- you LOOK loaded.

But canoe camping is EXCELLENT!

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure you keep the pointy end facing forward.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Just drill several large holes in the canoe. Cuts down on the wind resistance. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.