Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: setting up a deer trail camera/reformatting 64 GB card
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> setting up a deer trail camera/reformatting 64 GB card

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stick with low cost 32GB SDHC cards if the camera does not support 64GB SDXC cards. BTW they just came out with SD 8.0 cards for up to 128TB of storage and 4GB/S speed.
The next version of SD Express is a boon for pro photography

specs

* This post was edited 05/20/20 04:41pm by 8.1 Van *

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

Well actually you won't "waste" a card, you can probably use it in another device that can use a larger capacity card. Some devices can be finicky when it comes to size and card "speed" capability. This is what is can use in my GoPro 7, much larger than my stealthcam.
MICROSD CARDSYou’ll need a microSD™ card (sold separately) to save your videos and photos. Use a brand name card that fits these requirements:• microSD, microSDHC™, or microSDXC™• Class 10 or UHS-I rating• Capacity up to 256GB

why micro sd cards? I hate em
bumpy

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

I have recently purchased several trail cams and getting ready to put them out. They all say that they are rated for up to a 32 GB SD card. I spoke with a rep at Browning that said that the camera is only capable of reading 32 GB, and if I put something bigger in, it won't increase storage above the original 32 GB.

Up to 32GB, all the cards are SDHC, but above 32 GB, the cards are SDXC format. The 32GB cards are formatted in FAT32, whereas the SDXC cards are formatted in exFat.

If I reformat a 64 GB card to FAT32, should/could I have the use of all 64 GB, or will I still be limited to 32GB based on the camera. I have both Browning & Wildgame Innovations, and neither customer support dept has been able to provide a satisfactory answer.

Our daughter bought us a Victure trail camera for Christmas to hopefully capture deer and the odd bear in back of our apartment building. Tried Micro SD and a card from an old Canon PowerShot, no joy. Bought 2 San Disk 32GB 10X cards on Amazon. All is well, but it has yet to capture any critter shots. [emoticon]

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, without special software, you can't format a 64GB SD Card to FAT32. There are applications that can do it, not sure if any are free. If you do get it formatted with a third party APP, it is possible that the Camera just will not recognize the larger card.

If you right click your 64GB SD Card in Windows Explorer and select Format, FAT32 will not be an option. The Command Line and Diskpart will give you an error if you try it there.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> setting up a deer trail camera/reformatting 64 GB card
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.