cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPAP machine and batteries

djg
Explorer
Explorer
I've just been informed I have to use a CPAP machine and was wondering if anyone out there uses this with just batteries, currently have 2 AGM 12 volt batteries group 31 I think about 240 amp hrs and was wondering if that is enough power to run a home unit. We usually drive during the day and do not camp for much time mostly sightseeing tc'ers, love the driving part and love scenery
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel
68 REPLIES 68

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
i feel better as on below marketplace for CPAP batteries as you can get good contemplative price here as per compare with others market.

https://www.cpapdirect.com/parts-and-accessories/cpap-batteries?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-tSs3cbV4wIVCv5kCh2o9A1qEAAYAyAAEgKzevD_BwE

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Hemi Joel wrote:
I have used nothing but tap water in my cpap humidifier for 5 years with no problems. I use the highest setting, so it goes through a full tank of water in 10 hours. If any minerals start to accumulate, it is a 20 second process to wipe it off. Distilled water is an unnecessary inconvenience.

Quoting my own post here and revising my opinion. I got some nasty water down in Florida in February that left a nasty, scummy residue in the CPAP tank. So now I can see why people use distilled water, if they have water like that. I still use tap water water without issue, once I drained out that water and got a refill. But I now carry a jug of distilled just in case.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all realize this thread is 2 1/2 years old don't you?

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife has used a CPAP for years including all the years we travelled as part or full time RVers. If you have a CPAP that only operates on 120v, you can use an inverter. Get a small unit because inverters waste power as heat. Most get so hot they have a built in fan. All wasted energy. If you camp a lot or are getting a new unit be sure to get one that operates on 12 volts without an inverter.

Most CPAPs will use about 25 AH of power so the drain is manageable. The problem occurs for the use of a humidifer or one of the new heated hoses. Those devices can use several times the amount of power. It can be a major issue in cold weather. To get by my wife sets her unit on a hot water bottle and wraps it with insulation.

There was a question about the validity of CPAPs. This is not a good place for a detailed discussion but I can make a quick summary. First many people really do benefit and without a CPAP have all sorts of issues in addition to not sleeping well. Unfortunately, much of the "science" and testing is questionable. It is no accident that Respironics makes most of the CPAPs and also makes the testing equipment including the software that analyzes the results. I was among the high percentage of those tested who was told I needed a CPAP. I insisted on a retest at a different facility and got a completely negative result.

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
In the case of CPAP https://cleanhomeguide.com/lumin-cpap-cleaner-reviews/, in order not to suffer from still high, but now unnecessary pressure, you will have to “play” well with the setpoint but not to lower it more than necessary (carefully analyzing the results using a program like SleepyHead), or even apply for polysomnography again. If you have an APAP, then you don’t need to do anything at all. Over time, the upper limit of the pressure range will get too high, which does not lead to anything bad, the pressure will just reach, for example, not 14-15, but only 11-12, although it is still allowed up to 15.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
I use the k.i.s. method, a small portable inverter, plug it into a 12V socket, and plug the CPAP into the inverter. This one is typical: http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Inverter-Charger-Charging-Shared/dp/B003SGJIRO/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8...

You don't mind hearing that thing whiring away?
Some whirl and some do not. Either way, it is quieter than my CPAP.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Ear plugs
Adventure before dementia

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I use the k.i.s. method, a small portable inverter, plug it into a 12V socket, and plug the CPAP into the inverter. This one is typical: http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Inverter-Charger-Charging-Shared/dp/B003SGJIRO/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8...

You don't mind hearing that thing whiring away?
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

rickeyleee
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.... thanks for the comments everyone. Now I can sleep at night not having to worry about it...LOL In the winter, (I live in central Iowa)... with my humidity set at 5, I sometime wake up at night with dry mouth. Will just have to be vigilant and keep a watchful eye on the battery at all times. Going to switch over now to a lot of questions on sway bars, etc. for the new trailer and will post in another area of the forum.

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
My Philips Restonic (sp) is a 12 volt unit, which I think most are. So all I needed was the 12 volt cord. In the TT I installed a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug in beside the bed. I'm yet to do that in the TC, it's on The List. Right now I use the Optima 24 AGM from my trolling motor and a clip-on cord with a cigarette lighter plug end. Optimas don't spill. I'll be using that cord in OZ in couple of weeks, too. At the clinic they sell 12 volt batteries for the machines. They look like a 24 AGM battery. They claim 24 hours use from one. I hope my experiences help with your sister's travelling.

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
I am expecting my wife's sister for a visit and the two of them are planning on a road trip in the TC. She (sister) uses a CPAP and will need to be accommodated. I have a 300W Pure Sine Wave inverter that I use for astronomy and it will plug into the lighter socket in the cabover. Is this okay? Or is it too much inverter for the job and it will kill the batteries? (two group 27's, lead acid)

Should I have started a new thread? Sorry if I am sidetracking this one.
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
I camped in Namibia with mine. It's a 12V that converts the 120volt.It was simple to hook up to the bakkie battery. We had a roof tent. As I've used it I'm needing less water, I'm using #2 setting now. When I was hunting I camped in a wall tent and used a # 24 deep cycle, supposedly it was good for three nights. Off to OZ and will be hooking up to the 'ute's battery, again a roof tent.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.amazon.com/Respironics-Shielded-System-BIPAP-Truck/dp/B00K5UVH0M/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1462662984&sr=8-1&keywords=cpap+dc+adapter

There is what you need. you can also get an extension with clips for going right to a battery. You'll use something like 25AH per night if you skip the humidifier. What I find is that you get enough condensation in the hose to make up for the humidifier, or maybe it's just that the air when camping is not as dry or warm as at home.