cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Car

w3ozwizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about getting a Smart Car to pull behind my motorhome. I searched on subject but did not find anything. Is there anyone out there that can tell me if it can be done? Anything to look out for? Looked at a guide online and said you can but must be manual transmission. In searching for a Smart Car to buy, they don't list a manual transmission???? Any help?
2009 Four Winds Majestic 28A
66 REPLIES 66

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on the Olympic Peninsula. See my signature. (below images are clickable)

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
9pilot wrote:
Good Afternoon from Oregon.

Hey Guys......I'm thinking of purchasing a (used) Smart Car to be used as a tow vehicle behind my RV.
Would like to visit with someone that is pulling one (flat)....I'm limited on storage space and a Smart is the only car that would work for me. Really need some first hand information.

Thanks
George
9pilot@gmail.com

Good afternoon. Consider taking a drive through a campgrund. They are out there and you might run into someone that has one.

Good luck in your quest. The 451 2009 to 2015 is your best bet. The electrics are the fastest and most fun to drive but can not be towed down. Also consider a convertible. A lot of fun.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

9pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Good Afternoon from Oregon.

Hey Guys......I'm thinking of purchasing a (used) Smart Car to be used as a tow vehicle behind my RV.
Would like to visit with someone that is pulling one (flat)....I'm limited on storage space and a Smart is the only car that would work for me. Really need some first hand information.

Thanks
George
9pilot@gmail.com

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:

That Smart is probably the only car short enough to carry sideways. Did that Allegro Bus with the Smart on a lift, have a tag axle?

A red semi tractor came into the campground towing a big fifth wheel. It had a frame long enough to haul the fiver AND a Smart. The Smart was crossways on the tractor right behind the cab. They had aluminum ramps tucked away someplace and backed the Smart down from the passenger side of the tractor. Pretty neat! I believe that particular Smart was a diesel.
----------------
I'll bet it was this one. We ran into them last winter.

WxToad
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone interested in a Smart product would do well to read Consumer Reports. After all, they OWN the car they tested and their readers provide independent statistics from having their own Smart vehicles. I'm glad I heeded their advice before I bought my Prius...yeah, the one with the Curtiss lighting harness, Torklift 2" receiver and Firestone RideRite air suspension. 😛

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Smart is the not the only vehicle with a "automatic" standard transmission. It is a standard sycro gearbox with a clutch and shift mechanism that is computer controlled and mechanically/power operated/shifted. The Ford Focus has a similar transmission available and it has been a real problem child. Also, the Fiat-Chrysler Promaster has one of these transmissions available with the diesel engine option, complete with its own power pack to operate the clutch and the shifting.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
You can't do that with a motor cycle or scooter 🙂

I hope the community here doesn't feel I have been bashing the Smart car. I do feel they are cool cars that serve a real good purpose. I feel they are especially nice to tote behind a motor home.

I used to ride motor cycles until about 15 years ago when we first learned my wife has MS. I just couldn't get on a bike anymore, not willing to risk injury...what good would I be for her then? So with that always on my mind, I am more particular with what I will drive around in on a daily basis. And around here where we live, there are way too many drivers looking down at their smart phones instead of the road. It is a very serious problem here.

+2 Brother! when my ClubCar cr*ps out and I need to go from the 'Glades vacay home to the pool, it's possibly my go-to car. When I can't pull the kickstand up on my Road King, I admit, the SMART isn't more dangerous under certain conditons. Until then, forgive me as a researcher for steering CLEAR of this POS. :B

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
What is your average mpg on the hiwway? Also at 1800 lbs do you bother with toad brakes if you are not over your GVWR?

With my 2009 Passion the sticker said the MPG is 33 City, 41 Highway. I've achieved as much as 51 Highway on I-5 in WA (and that was before I had the aftermarket cruise control installed).

Driving back and forth to town (13 miles 1 way) for errands and such, I regularly average 39 to 40 MPG.

----

If you're asking about motorhome MPG while towing then 1) the Triton V10 in my 30 foot E450 gets 5 to 7 MPG and nothing changes that, except a tail wind on I-84 West in OR when I got 9.1 MPG, and 2) the smart car is so short and narrow that it quite possibly is within the motorhome's draft (IMO). I get 5 to 7 with or without the car.
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Gjac wrote:
What is your average mpg on the hiwway? Also at 1800 lbs do you bother with toad brakes if you are not over your GVWR?
Although I don't tow mine four down I'll throw this out there. One of our friends tows without a supplemental brake although he had one from a previous toad. He used to set it up but never turned it on...I'm thinking that was more of legal CYA thing but I don't know. He doesn't bother now.

Most of the people in our club with gas smarts exceed the MPG ratings by about 3 to 4 mpg on the highway so low to mid forties. Depends a lot on the driving style.
With our 2007 E350-V10 rig, our first tow vehicle was a 2100 pound Toyota MR2 Spyder shown below. We got by without a secondary braking system. I can't say it was ideal, but rather "Getting By" with regards to braking performance & Safety. To be honest, I was surprised how much "push" the 2100 pound car gave when braking the motor home.

About the fuel economy of a straight-n-simple gasoline fueled vehicle....I did a lot of research in this area before buying our 2014 Nissan Altima with the 2.5L 4-cylinder engine. Around town we get 28-32 depending on the time of year. On trips with a lot of open road, we get near 40 mpg. If we slowed down to 60-63 mph, we'd get better yet.

One story I have that reflects this is that we visited my cousin in Michigan City IN. Before leaving town there, I filled up and reset everything in the Altima. A few hours later we get home to see that we averaged almost 44 mpg. Driving was at night with no traffic, no hills, and no winds. Not bad for a decent sized simple gas powered sedan....one of three primary reasons why I bought the car. The other two reasons were size/comfort/safety/versatility, and affordability.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:

Although I don't tow mine four down I'll throw this out there. One of our friends tows without a supplemental brake although he had one from a previous toad. He used to set it up but never turned it on...I'm thinking that was more of legal CYA thing but I don't know. He doesn't bother now.

Most of the people in our club with gas smarts exceed the MPG ratings by about 3 to 4 mpg on the highway so low to mid forties. Depends a lot on the driving style.

Ours are diesel or Electric so not a fair comparison. We have been towing the diesel on the trailer but next year will start to tow the electric on the trailer as we don't ever seem to go more than 60 or 70 miles a day from where we are staying.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
I had to bring a half dozen 2 X 4's home for my neighbour. I just put down the front seat and opened the tail gate. We bring our lawnmower in for servicing the same way. Just put down the front seat.

We have rigged ours to pull around its own trailer as well. Handy.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Try carrying three 60 lb pier blocks and a 60 lb bag of concrete (underneath the leftmost block) on a scooter. It is more than just a grocery getter.

PS: That's a full size spare tire behind the drivers seat.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
You can't do that with a motor cycle or scooter 🙂

I hope the community here doesn't feel I have been bashing the Smart car. I do feel they are cool cars that serve a real good purpose. I feel they are especially nice to tote behind a motor home.

I used to ride motor cycles until about 15 years ago when we first learned my wife has MS. I just couldn't get on a bike anymore, not willing to risk injury...what good would I be for her then? So with that always on my mind, I am more particular with what I will drive around in on a daily basis. And around here where we live, there are way too many drivers looking down at their smart phones instead of the road. It is a very serious problem here.