cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sonic by Venture 190

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone own one of these or any Sonic trailer for that matter. I have never owned a trailer but this seem like a really nice one to get started with. I have looked for a forum just for owners of these trailers but no luck. Just wanted to know any info about them pro or con. Thanks if you can help.
2016 Sonic by Venture 190vrb
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L V8
32 REPLIES 32

ratsatc
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't sure if you got your answers. We upgraded from a pop up and went with the 2018 Sonic Lite 169vrd after a lot of research. We could not be happier. The one piece roof construction, the plywood floor construction along with the special trailer frame construction sold us. It seems really well made, lots of head room, great bathroom and really comfortable bed. Great, Great Travel Trailer. And the Exact Layout we wanted for the tow of us and our Jack Russell.

River_Patrol
Explorer
Explorer
Tex, Just joined this forum and saw your post. We also have a 2016 Sonic 190 VRB and purchased it in Oct 2015. Hope you are enjoying yours. Ours has worked well for us so far and are pleased with our purchase. I too wish there was an active Sonic forum to discuss the camper pro's and con's.

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
tex wardfan wrote:
I need to buy a stake and tieout to hook my dog to, so she can have a little room to roam while were sitting outside with her. What would be better? The corkscrew type or the drive in with a hammer type? She is 60 pounds.

Nice looking dog.

I have a hyper lab / springer mix. I have found that neither of the types of dog ties you mentioned work for him. First, he just runs around enough directions that the eventually he gets them loose in the ground and they pull out. Second, sometimes the ground is so hard I can't get them in. Third, some parks get upset with you when you put things in their ground. (But,some parks don't care).

I carry two ties. One is heavy chain with a swivel on each end. I use this to tie him to picnic tables etc. The second is a store bought cable. The cable has a plastic wrap around it and I use this to tie him to trees. The wrapped cable doesn't hurt the tree. Some parks may still not allow this and that is when I switch to the chain on the picnic table idea.

Thanks Charlie. She is pretty rambunctious so we will probably just keep her in the kennel cage when she is out side with us. she would probably just wrap herself around everything and everybody on the end of a cable or chain.

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
tex wardfan wrote:
I was told to buy a rechargeable electric drill to use on the 4 stabilizer jacks that steady the trailer when parked. I was wondering what volt rechargeable drill will be strong enough to do the job.

I use an 18 volt DeWalt drill for the stabilizers and carry an 18 volt impact wrench to change tires. Also have a 12 volt compressor.

Kip, I picked up an 18 volt Black and Decker yesterday at Walmart. it came with 2 batterys. I still need to find the socket that will have a 3/8 or smaller shank on it. Academy showed to have one online but it wasn't in our local store. I have to go back to my dealer to get the license plate and maybe they have one in their parts store.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tex wardfan wrote:
I need to buy a stake and tieout to hook my dog to, so she can have a little room to roam while were sitting outside with her. What would be better? The corkscrew type or the drive in with a hammer type? She is 60 pounds.

Nice looking dog.

I have a hyper lab / springer mix. I have found that neither of the types of dog ties you mentioned work for him. First, he just runs around enough directions that the eventually he gets them loose in the ground and they pull out. Second, sometimes the ground is so hard I can't get them in. Third, some parks get upset with you when you put things in their ground. (But,some parks don't care).

I carry two ties. One is heavy chain with a swivel on each end. I use this to tie him to picnic tables etc. The second is a store bought cable. The cable has a plastic wrap around it and I use this to tie him to trees. The wrapped cable doesn't hurt the tree. Some parks may still not allow this and that is when I switch to the chain on the picnic table idea.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
tex wardfan wrote:
I was told to buy a rechargeable electric drill to use on the 4 stabilizer jacks that steady the trailer when parked. I was wondering what volt rechargeable drill will be strong enough to do the job.

I use an 18 volt DeWalt drill for the stabilizers and carry an 18 volt impact wrench to change tires. Also have a 12 volt compressor.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Congratulations on the trailer purchase.

You will get used to towing after awhile. If it is set up right you will hardly even know it's back there after you are used to it.

Backing may take you a little practice though. Find a big empty parking lot and practice backing in that.

Thanks Charlie. We are going to the local elementary school this weekend to practice backing in. I think I might have to play with the gain on the trailer brake. There's a slight clunk when stopping.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations on the trailer purchase.

You will get used to towing after awhile. If it is set up right you will hardly even know it's back there after you are used to it.

Backing may take you a little practice though. Find a big empty parking lot and practice backing in that.

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
You can hook up the hose anytime before you dump. Waiting until you are ready to leave prevents anybody stepping on it or a campground employee cutting grass with a weed wacker from cutting slices in it.

When finished dumping and ready to go home, I usually put three complete commode bowls full of water in the tank along with some laundry detergent. This does two things. 1. Keeps any solids left in there (and there will always be some left unless you spray the inside of the tank) from hardening into concrete, and 2. Is enough to cover the bottom of the tank and allow the detergent to splash around while travelling and help clean the tank and sensors. It stays in there until the next time we dump the tanks.
Never store your trailer with dry tanks. Doing that will allow anything in there to dry and harden and will also allow the seals to dry out.

I have followed this routine for many years and have never found the need to use any toilet chemicals except if we were going to store the trailer for an extended period of time (month or more). Just make sure to use plenty of water for every flush. Put some extra in the bowel before using the toilet.
Barney

Barney, thank you so much for clarifying the amount of water to leave in the tank and also to not hook up the sewer pipe till leaving the park. So I guess you leave your city water hooked up till after you are through dumping the tanks and flushing them out. Thanks again for answering a new owners questions. It is very much appreciated.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can hook up the hose anytime before you dump. Waiting until you are ready to leave prevents anybody stepping on it or a campground employee cutting grass with a weed wacker from cutting slices in it.

When finished dumping and ready to go home, I usually put three complete commode bowls full of water in the tank along with some laundry detergent. This does two things. 1. Keeps any solids left in there (and there will always be some left unless you spray the inside of the tank) from hardening into concrete, and 2. Is enough to cover the bottom of the tank and allow the detergent to splash around while travelling and help clean the tank and sensors. It stays in there until the next time we dump the tanks.
Never store your trailer with dry tanks. Doing that will allow anything in there to dry and harden and will also allow the seals to dry out.

I have followed this routine for many years and have never found the need to use any toilet chemicals except if we were going to store the trailer for an extended period of time (month or more). Just make sure to use plenty of water for every flush. Put some extra in the bowel before using the toilet.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
Also if you are not going to dump the tanks till you are ready to leave, why hook up the sewer hose when you arrive?

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
EA Williams wrote:
As long as they're hooked up when you dump(the TT) it doesn't really matter lol. You only make that mistake once. Keep the grey tank valve closed and dump it after the black. Cleans it out. I add chemicals and a few gallons of water before the toilet is put in use and after each dumping(of the tank) This explanation should have been part of the delivery process, especially for a newbie. Dealer?

Thank you for your reply.