cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Tow This With My Truck?

Lan_N
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are making some changes in our lives trying to inch ever closer to our dream of traveling around the U.S. We are both outdoor enthusiasts and want to see and explore this majestic country of ours. We recently purchased a 2016 Silverado 1500 (4x4, double cab, max towing package, and a 5.3L V8 engine) to tow a TT in the near future. We've attended several RV shows and looked at bunch of floor plans. Base on what we want to do and our life style we believe that a TT with a bunk house will be best for us. However, since we know nothing about towing or about RV we are here for some advice.

Our truck has a tow rating of around 11k lbs and we are interested in the the Salem Hemisphere 27bh. The trailer total length is 32'8" with a dry weigh of 6048 lbs and a cargo capacity of 3117 lbs. Our first question is will our vehicle be able to handle this? Or should we be looking for something lighter and smaller? Also, what is the maximum length a 1/2 ton truck can safely tow? Since we are planning to be relative mobile what's the maximum weight I should be looking at? Thank you in advance for your help and advice.
44 REPLIES 44

HappyTrails2U2
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

budgiedome
Explorer
Explorer
For the initial trips we rented. We tried 3 different sizes and configurations. We bought a used trailer last year and there was no buyers remorse. When I ran the numbers I assumed my TV would be fully loaded and at capacity. My limiting factor is my TV, which for the other 90% of my driving time is perfect, so buying a larger TV was not part of the equation. With only 2 adults we bought the smallest trailer that fit our needs. I'm not right up against my trucks specs.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably OK but right at the limit. As noted, it might tow that weight, but your limiting factor is the payload capacity. I have a RAM with a 10,300 tow rating, but ONLY a 1450 payload capacity. You put a hitch on at 500 plus lbs then a 150 lb WDH , then the two 100 lb dogs in the crewcab and the 280 between the significant other and I and fill up a 32 gallon gas tank at 8 lbs a gallon of gas and well, you can do the math. I'm there.

What will your math look like? And so, I can theoretically tow 10,300 but one I always want a cushion and two my capacity is the limiting factor. I want camping to be fun and not be worried as the trailer makes me a nervous wreck while driving it across country. How many slide outs, couches and islands in the middle of the living space can a person want camping. So, I'm looking at 27 foot max including tongue and 500 lb hitch weights and end up in the 5,000 dry weight range.

HappyTrails2U2
Explorer
Explorer
If you listen to a lot of people they'd have you towing a motorcycle trailer with a diesel dually. I towed a 34ft. 7,500 lb. trailer with our Chevy Silverado 1500 all over the south with no problems. Keep your speed below at 65 mph or below and you'll never have a problem.

You will use your truck 90 percent of the time not towing anything so why shackle yourself with a monster truck for towing something under 8,000 pounds?
2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

If the truck isn't here yet, talk to the dealer and see if they can switch you to a 3/4ton. Cost shouldn't be a much more and will give you more room to spare

The payload on some of the 3/4 ton's is not that much more. Be sure of the payload rating before upgrading.

The Max trailer package is a good upgrade and really reduces the advantage of going 3/4 ton.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2015 GMC Sierra with the Max Trailering, 5.3L 6 speed 3.73 axle.

Tow rating is 10,900. Payload (yellow sticker) is 2015.

I pull a Cougar 30RKS. 34'4" from hitch to bumper. Max weight 8,200 lbs. Tongue weight around 1,000 (per a scale). I use a 10K Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch. I'm within all my limits by a decent margin and it tows just fine. I would not go much heavier though.

I do plan to add air-bags more to help with the bounce but it's not necessary.

Last truck was an 01 GMC 2500hd Diesel. It bounced as well and I was thinking of adding air bags to it. just a long trailer for the wheelbase of the truck. I know the two won't tow the same, and that I will have to get used to the motor revving a lot more than the diesel did, but the diesel didn't suit my non-towing life (short commute, never warmed up) so it was time to get new.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
It either has enough payload or it doesn't, it's a simple calculation. And don't overlook, 100 lbs of payload taken out of the truck and put inside the TT over the axle become only 12 lbs of payload (12 more lbs of tongue weight), an 88 lbs difference.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with a GMC max tow, crew cab, 4x4, 5.3L, payload was just over 2,000 pounds. It's a very capable truck. I have a larger family, so people and gear ate my payload away quickly.

Here's what I would say, if you were towing locally, it would be a perfect fit for 2 people. But since you plan on being full-timers, I would suspect that'll be carrying a lot of stuff, and that stuff weighs a lot. So putting that stuff in the truck, will eliminate remaining payload very quickly. Good luck.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

razehm
Explorer
Explorer
We just ran into this same issue last year. We bought a 1/2 ton truck which we loved and then a year or so later bought a TT. Of course we got a trailer that was a bunk house and tongue to bumper is 32 feet. Almost at the max load for the 1/2 ton. It did fine and would still pull it if we still had the 1/2 ton. Took a trip to the Oregon coast and it was windy the entire time, even before getting to the cost. White knuckle driving is not fun. I hate to break it to you but if its your dream to travel as you said you're going to have to move up to a bigger truck. We moved up to a F-350 and I think there is no sense in getting a 3/4 ton. You will have more piece of mind, bigger frame - brakes - capacity etc etc. Weight was always a worry but now I could pull my TT and the one your looking at :-).

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lan.N wrote:
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many replies. Thank you everyone for your help. Unfortunately, the exact payload number is not available right now. It's a long story, but basically the dealership messed up and gave us a truck without the max towing package. The replacement truck will be here next week with a GVWR rating of 7600 lbs. The current truck has a rating of 7200 GVWR; the payload sticker on the door right now is 1638 lbs. The replacement vehicle will probably not see a 400 lbs increase since it will be heavier equipped, so I'm guessing the new payload rating will be 1800 - 1900 lbs.

The TT being discussed has a 715 lbs hitch weight. According to Krobbe formula:
Payload Limit: 1800
Passenger: 400 (2 small people and 2 huge dogs)
Cargo: 200
WDH: 100
1800-400-200-100 =1100
1100/.15 = 7333 lbs (lol, the same number as you)
Looking at the result I should not exceed 7333 lbs in towing?

Some of you were wondering why I got a 1/2 ton instead of something bigger. First of all, I stated that we were inching closer to our dreams, meaning that we are taking steps toward it... Obviously, without any monetary constraints, we will get the biggest and baddest tow vehicle to tow whatever we want (or probably just get a class A.); life however is more complicated. We are both young adults and still have student loans to pay off. We still have to work in crowded cities and getting a bulky expensive truck before going full time will not be practical at the moment. I'm sure in the future we will want to upgrade. Plus, we got the truck for a little over 37k, and getting something bigger right now would cost us much more $$$.

Once again, thank you everyone for the warm welcome and for all the advice. According to majority consensus I should go lighter and smaller. Some stated that I could probably tow it, but it will not be fun or safe in a 1/2 ton. Being inexperience, I wasn't sure and needed clarity. Thank you rv.net forum 🙂 Since this TT is definitely vetoed. Will the Outback Terrain 250TRS be a better fit for my truck?

The TT specs:

Shipping Weight 5483
Carrying Capacity 2017
Hitch 585
Length 27' 6"

715lb dry hitch weight is probably right around 1000lbs fully loaded. Add in the rest and you are right up at the limits. A little flat land, short distance towing, you probably won't mind but if the goal is longer distance, longer term....

If the truck isn't here yet, talk to the dealer and see if they can switch you to a 3/4ton. Cost shouldn't be a much more and will give you more room to spare
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I also towed 7,500 pounds with the 5.3, 3.42 (2013 Silerado) and had no complaints. I took that combination through the Smokies and Ozarks, but not the Rockies.

I upgraded to a 2500 because I bought the wrong cab configuration and decided if I was upgrading, I would buy something that could hold a rick of firewood in the bed while being hitched up. I don't do "RV parks" with full hookups, and I need a rick of firewood and an extra 50 gallons of water in the bed of my truck for three or four nights of camping.

Look, if you listen to most of the posters on this forum, you will end up buying a Mack truck to tow a popup.

MY FIL has a 2013 Sierra with the 5.3 and 3.42, and he tows a Windjammer that is 35 feet long and weighs 8,500 pounds. He upgraded the tires and has taken that combination all over the country, including the big mountains out west.

People used to tow much heavier trailers with vehicles much less equipped than those we have today. Decide what you are comfortable with, but don't put a lot of stock in the "go bigger, no matter what" posters on this board.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 5.3 with 3:42 and 6 spd turns 2000 rpm at 60 MPH while towing a 6600lb 30 foot trailer. Hills will cause a downshift and an increase. On steep hills it will go up to 4000 rpm at 50 MPH.

A modern "1/2" ton properly equipped is a very capable tow vehicle. Payload remains the limiting factor.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I did the math once. My F-150 is Advertised as pulling 9500 lbs. If you figure a conservative tongue weight of 1000 lbs, truck cap and tools; I have enough cargo capacity for me and the dog. The wife has to stay home.

That is why the adds show a man towing his big boat. Note there is often no one else in the cab.

In real life my 5000 lb dry weight TT tips the CAT scales at 6200 to 6600 lbs loaded for the road, with about 750 on the tongue. With wife, dog and gear I am at my max cargo limit.

The combo pulls just fine in the hills or on the flat. No doubt a bigger TV would be nice but I do not see any reason to fix what is not broken.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Looks like you ran into the "got to have a diesel dually to pull a popup crowd".

No. I don't think so. Every post thus far has said it was likely the trailer was too much for the 1/2 ton based on experience or payload calculation. I saw nothing about any DUALLY comments.
Op, post your payload number and we can help you out with what will fit for your truck.

Yea "chicken little" posts like those by bid_time show IMO a TOTAL LACK of UNDERSTANDING the issues and I'm lost why folks want to simply "MUDDY THE WATERS" w/o providing any meaningful input.

When folks do things like this they don't realize just how much they've hurt their credibility (or simply DESTROYED IT) in future posts that readers give any weight to since the "DIE IS CAST" so to speak.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL