Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can I Tow This With My Truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can I Tow This With My Truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/16 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If the truck isn't here yet, talk to the dealer and see if they can switch you to a 3/4ton. Cost shouldn't be a much more and will give you more room to spare

The payload on some of the 3/4 ton's is not that much more. Be sure of the payload rating before upgrading.

The Max trailer package is a good upgrade and really reduces the advantage of going 3/4 ton.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/16 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you listen to a lot of people they'd have you towing a motorcycle trailer with a diesel dually. I towed a 34ft. 7,500 lb. trailer with our Chevy Silverado 1500 all over the south with no problems. Keep your speed below at 65 mph or below and you'll never have a problem.

You will use your truck 90 percent of the time not towing anything so why shackle yourself with a monster truck for towing something under 8,000 pounds?

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

Kavoom

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/16 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are probably OK but right at the limit. As noted, it might tow that weight, but your limiting factor is the payload capacity. I have a RAM with a 10,300 tow rating, but ONLY a 1450 payload capacity. You put a hitch on at 500 plus lbs then a 150 lb WDH , then the two 100 lb dogs in the crewcab and the 280 between the significant other and I and fill up a 32 gallon gas tank at 8 lbs a gallon of gas and well, you can do the math. I'm there.

What will your math look like? And so, I can theoretically tow 10,300 but one I always want a cushion and two my capacity is the limiting factor. I want camping to be fun and not be worried as the trailer makes me a nervous wreck while driving it across country. How many slide outs, couches and islands in the middle of the living space can a person want camping. So, I'm looking at 27 foot max including tongue and 500 lb hitch weights and end up in the 5,000 dry weight range.

budgiedome

Philadelphia

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/16 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the initial trips we rented. We tried 3 different sizes and configurations. We bought a used trailer last year and there was no buyers remorse. When I ran the numbers I assumed my TV would be fully loaded and at capacity. My limiting factor is my TV, which for the other 90% of my driving time is perfect, so buying a larger TV was not part of the equation. With only 2 adults we bought the smallest trailer that fit our needs. I'm not right up against my trucks specs.

* This post was edited 03/30/16 06:37am by budgiedome *

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 06/21/19 10:46am by HappyTrails2U2 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can I Tow This With My Truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS