Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can I Tow This With My Truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can I Tow This With My Truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/16 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you were towing to the lake 50 miles away twice a year and it was barely in spec (there are several numbers to consider and actual pulling power is rarely the issue with modern trucks), I might shrug and say it's OK if you go slow and are careful.

For long term cross country stuff, get a truck that's suited to the trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/16 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post the payload number as requested. Your tongue weight is going to be around 1000 + lbs. A good weight distribution hitch does not increase payload, nor do air bags. IMO, I would not tow that monster TT with my family in your truck.

You may go ahead and do it though - and that's your choice. Good luck on traveling the country in that combo. And, I'm sorry, the numbers matter before you get your towing experience. Either have a big enough cushion if calculating (guessing) or packing up the TV as you would to go on a trip and getting it weighed (knowing). Then getting the appropriate TT.

Google Cat scale locator to find one near you.

Best advice I can give is to find out how to figure it out from people who know on here, then actually do it. Not just listening to "its doable" comments.

I'm sorry you got sucked into the fantasy world of tow capacity. That number is determined by pulling a flat trailer with weight. When your pulling a big sail down the road - high walled TT, things are a lot different.

Good luck

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lan.N

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/16 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many replies. Thank you everyone for your help. Unfortunately, the exact payload number is not available right now. It's a long story, but basically the dealership messed up and gave us a truck without the max towing package. The replacement truck will be here next week with a GVWR rating of 7600 lbs. The current truck has a rating of 7200 GVWR; the payload sticker on the door right now is 1638 lbs. The replacement vehicle will probably not see a 400 lbs increase since it will be heavier equipped, so I'm guessing the new payload rating will be 1800 - 1900 lbs.

The TT being discussed has a 715 lbs hitch weight. According to Krobbe formula:
Payload Limit: 1800
Passenger: 400 (2 small people and 2 huge dogs)
Cargo: 200
WDH: 100
1800-400-200-100 =1100
1100/.15 = 7333 lbs (lol, the same number as you)
Looking at the result I should not exceed 7333 lbs in towing?

Some of you were wondering why I got a 1/2 ton instead of something bigger. First of all, I stated that we were inching closer to our dreams, meaning that we are taking steps toward it... Obviously, without any monetary constraints, we will get the biggest and baddest tow vehicle to tow whatever we want (or probably just get a class A.); life however is more complicated. We are both young adults and still have student loans to pay off. We still have to work in crowded cities and getting a bulky expensive truck before going full time will not be practical at the moment. I'm sure in the future we will want to upgrade. Plus, we got the truck for a little over 37k, and getting something bigger right now would cost us much more $$$.

Once again, thank you everyone for the warm welcome and for all the advice. According to majority consensus I should go lighter and smaller. Some stated that I could probably tow it, but it will not be fun or safe in a 1/2 ton. Being inexperience, I wasn't sure and needed clarity. Thank you rv.net forum [emoticon] Since this TT is definitely vetoed. Will the Outback Terrain 250TRS be a better fit for my truck?

The TT specs:

Shipping Weight 5483
Carrying Capacity 2017
Hitch 585
Length 27' 6"

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/16 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of calculators which you may find useful in determining what you can tow.

This

And This

1600 - 1800 (or more) lbs of payload and he can't tow a trailer with 1000 lbs of tongue weight. Interesting.

* This post was edited 03/18/16 09:32am by bid_time *

DwnSth

SE Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/16 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you my be eliminating your first selection for TT a bit too quick, especially with the new truck and higher payload rating. Modern 1/2 tons properly equipped can tow a trailer that size with ease. As I have mentioned in other post on same topic, I doubt I would go much larger than what I have now but it's very similar is length and weight to what you are looking at. It tows wonderfully and have put almost 8K miles on it this year. The truck and trailer combo are comfortable enough that we have cranked out several 600 mile days when needed (when we're headed home, we're headed home!)
The limiting factor on my truck has actually been the hitch weight limit of 1150 lbs. not the payload at 2090.

2014 Berkshire 360QL

krobbe

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/16 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that you've determined your carrying capacity, let's look at how your truck might perform towing 6 to 7K lbs.
These HP/Tq curves will give you some idea of what RPM the 5.3L will run at to move that load.
My 8.1L runs at about 2200 RPM to tow a 7200lb TT at 62mph on a flat road. Looking at the HP curve, it is outputting 180HP and 440lb-ft TQ.
Under the same conditions, the 5.3L will need 180+HP to maintain 62mph. On that curve, the RPM at 180HP is 2800RPM. But the TQ is at 350lb-ft so not as much work is getting done. So the 5.3 can maintain 62mph at say 2800 to 3000RPM, the rise and fall of the road grade will cause the speed of the engine to vary greatly to maintain 62mph. Cruise control may not work very well if the transmission is constantly shifting up and down.
Bottom line is: Expect to be running between 2800 and 3800RPM while towing. Much higher in the mountains. That engine will run all day at those RPMs so let er sing!
[image]
[image]

Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

handye9

Brown City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/16 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lan.N wrote:

The TT being discussed has a 715 lbs hitch weight. According to Krobbe formula:
Payload Limit: 1800
Passenger: 400 (2 small people and 2 huge dogs)
Cargo: 200
WDH: 100
1800-400-200-100 =1100
1100/.15 = 7333 lbs (lol, the same number as you)
Looking at the result I should not exceed 7333 lbs in towing?

Advertised hitch weights are similar to advertised tow capacities, "Pie in the sky". They are notoriously low.

There is no standard for advertised hitch weights. One manufacturer may include a battery, propane, and optional equipment. Another (the majority of manufacturers would fall in this category) may not. It would not be unusual to see a TT with an advertised 700 lb hitch weight, roll off the dealers lot at 800+ lbs of actual hitch weight. When the consumer loads up for a camping trip, they are adding more weight.

Depending on what and where things get loaded, hitch weight will be different and variable during for every trip. You'll need room in your payload calculations to account for these weight fluctuations. If the advertised hitch weight puts you close to your max, loaded hitch weight could be a problem.

Holding tanks can also have a major impact on hitch weight. Depending on their location, in relation to the trailer's axles, they can add or subtract from the hitch weight. Behind the axles, they subtract hitch weight. In front of the axles, they add hitch weight. My trailer for example, has black and grey tanks directly above the axles, fresh tank behind the axles, and a galley (second grey) tank in front of the axles. During any given trip, my hitch weight can vary by as much as 200 lbs. My advertised hitch weight was 880, loaded for camping, it runs a little over 1000, and my heaviest scaled hitch weight (full galley tank and low fresh water) was 1250 lbs (approximately 16 percent of loaded trailer weight).

You don't show any calculations for aftermarket accessories. If you add any dealer installed options (undercoating, bed liners, step bars, etc) or end user items (bed cap, tonneau cover, etc), you'll need to add their weight as cargo.

18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

DBH_MI

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/16 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 2014 version of the truck the OP is considering. Dual cam hitch, 7500 lb trailer. I tow with 6th gear locked out and the truck runs approx. 2300 rpm in 5th at 62 mph with the occasional downshift to 4th on hills and average 10 mpg. When we travel to Colorado, we typically cover 450 to 550 miles per day and spent a day last August pulling in 100 degree heat with a 20 to 30 mph headwind. No problems. No issues being "blown around" by Semis on the expressway or two lanes. No "white knuckle" driving. Keeping the trailer within the towing parameters of the tow vehicle is important regardless the size of the tow vehicle.

krobbe

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/16 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DBH_MI wrote:

I have the 2014 version of the truck the OP is considering. Dual cam hitch, 7500 lb trailer. I tow with 6th gear locked out and the truck runs approx. 2300 rpm in 5th at 62 mph with the occasional downshift to 4th on hills and average 10 mpg. When we travel to Colorado, we typically cover 450 to 550 miles per day and spent a day last August pulling in 100 degree heat with a 20 to 30 mph headwind. No problems. No issues being "blown around" by Semis on the expressway or two lanes. No "white knuckle" driving. Keeping the trailer within the towing parameters of the tow vehicle is important regardless the size of the tow vehicle.

See This^
Can't argue with REAL world towing experience with the Chevy 5.3L and your TT of choice. My paper calculations don't compare with the actual results. Computer engine control programming, transmission efficiencies and many other factors make a huge difference over some generic HP curve.
Camp On!

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/16 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

krobbe wrote:

Bottom line is: Expect to be running between 2800 and 3800RPM while towing. Much higher in the mountains. That engine will run all day at those RPMs so let er sing!

That would be 4th and 3rd gear engine speeds. I think most people with 5.3L/6-spd/3.42 run in 5th on flat highways at 2200rpm. That's where my 6.0L/3.73 runs with almost identical power as 2014+ 5.3L at 1000 pounds heavier TV weight. 2800-3000rpm into headwinds in 4th gear and occasional 3rd gear for hills. I do agree the 5.3L will spin for 200k miles at that speed/load.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can I Tow This With My Truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS