cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower Skylight Replacement

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
For my next RV repair I'm replacing my skylight in the shower as it has leaked in the past. I just pulled the plastic part off the top and it was very brittle and in much need of replacement. On my RV (National Tropical) the plastic dome of the skylight sits on top of a plastic frame with a metal flange that is attached to the motorhome. The metal flange is screwed into the roof of the motorhome. The skylight dome screws into the plastic frame.

I just spent a half hour searching the Internet and I can't find anything like it. Looks like most shower skylights don't have the frame like mine does. Most are just plastic domes that you screw directly into the roof of the motorhome and then you seal directly on the plastic.

That leaves me with two problems. I had planned to just replace the entire unit, but if I can't find the entire unit then I can clean up the old frame and reuse it. It is still in good shape. But if I do that, then I can't just use any plastic dome. I have to use one that fits over this existing frame and the screws go in sideways on it to hold it to the frame.

If I'm not being clear I can get some photos tomorrow and put them on here. So the question, has anybody replaced this type of skylight and know where I can either get an entire new unit, or if not, where I can get a replacement dome? National is long since out of business so I don't know how I could find out where they got it. I don't see a brand name on it, but I haven't removed the frame yet from the motorhome. Maybe there will be a sticker in there somewhere that tells who made it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

12 REPLIES 12

hollingshead
Explorer
Explorer
I just reached out to www.temeculavalleyrv.com and they were extremely helpful. National RV only used one type of skylight for all there RVโ€™s and the item number for the dome replacement is CDE-1624. They referred me to Fox Lite Inc 1-937-864-1966 to order direct from them. I called and they are shipping the skylight dome replacement for my National Tropical 1999 RV tomorrow. Thank you so much to this forum, I donโ€™t think I would have found this without the last post.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I see what you're saying, Pirate, but I sort of like the natural light it lets in. It's just a personal choice.

If I needed to replace it, I'd scour the salvage yards for one for my '02 Winnie, then look for new if that didn't pan out. If I really needed to save money, yeah, an aluminum plate would work fine but I'd bet it would lower resale value.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you really need the skylight? Is the skylight so you can take a shower (provide extra ceiling height in the shower) or is it for light? I replaced mine and regret it now. What is the point? My ceiling was high enough I didn't need the height, nor did I need the light. I should have just stuck a piece of aluminum over the roof opening and eternabonded it.

ItsAboutRving
Explorer
Explorer
We just found a place to purchase the skylight replacement for our 2006 National Tropical - has the lip on the skylight that screws into the metal trim piece that is attached to the room. It DOES NOT fasten directly to the roof.

http://www.temeculavalleyrv.com/

The cost of the part is $133.39.

With tax: $149.76

Shipping from CA to Texas (where we are):$16.37

Basically, this company is right down the street from the original National factory and several of the employees from National now work for TemeculavalleyRV.

Hope you find this information helpful!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have the exact size of plastic that you need, any sign shop should be able to duplicate it. They vacuum form sign faces all of the time and a dome does not even require a form. Just heat it and let it sag the amount of dome that you want. They should be able to make it out of Plexiglas or Lexan/polycarbonant, clear or tinted.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd try to use any type of stick and brick home skylight and replace with that. Home Depot or Lowes products seem to last a while.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, just the basic plastic dome will work. It screws down to the roof just like the metal frame does. If I go that route, I think what I'm going to do is look for some type of trim piece that I can glue to the fiberglass roof around the inside of the skylight cut out and have it stick up about a half inch under the dome. That way if the seal around the dome ever does leak, there will be a half inch lip keeping water from dripping down into the shower.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Yea sounds like your going to have to ditch the metal frame and go with something else. Just a thought is there good frame work in the roof under your metal frame to support different type of skylight? Always something with these ol MoHo.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Went down the RV dealer and they looked every place and can't find anybody who may make this skylight. Sounds like it was probably made just for National RV and nobody has those records anymore. So this is my first problem based on National being out of business. But it's really not that major of deal as I can just switch to a different type of skylight.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far, but as I pointed out, those off the shelf ones won't work, at least not yet. I need the exact replacement dome for the Skylights used by National RV. If I can't find the exact replacement, they I will have to use one of these generic style ones and make it work.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
We lost our dome to a tree branch several years ago. I bought a replacement off the shelf at Lowe's. Plastic dome (probably acrylic or polycarbonate) was around $50. I had to reduce the size of the flange by about 1/4 inch on one edge, easily done with the Dremel I carry in my tool kit. I used the original hardware and polyurethane caulk.

From start to finish, the job took about 1/2 hour.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.icondirect.com/skylights/

RV Skylight Domes wrote:
Icon offers high quality replacement skylight domes that fit a variety of standard skylight openings, available in square, rectangle and neo-angle shapes. Skylights enhance the ambience of a room and help maintain a more comfortable, consistent indoor climate without wasting energy.

Choose a clear skylight dome to let the most light in, or select a translucent white one for more privacy and a diffused light.

I know your MH is an orphan but is there anyone you could call for parts?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System