cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY generator box for a honda 3000

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
The available factory made aluminum diamond plate boxes run $1200. I'm far too cheap to buy one. Time for a Macgyver moment.

After reading the specs on the factory model, I went to Home depot and found this tool storage box for $60. It's a little longer, but the genny still fits in.

To attach the box to the truck and prevent / deter theft, I elected to use the hole in the middle of the bed of the truck meant for the 5th wheel attachment. It is a 2 3/8" diameter hole, 4 inches deep, through a heavy steel frame which is bolted to the truck. Strong enough for a 5er, strong enough for this job.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells
29 REPLIES 29

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
We've been running the exact same box since the original post. We used it Labor day weekend at the beach. Still going strong
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

rickv3
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Houston Remodeler, just found you're post today, have the same honda generator, wondering how the box is functioning, is the generator staying cool or overheating, this is a great design and would like to make one for my generator, how do you open the picture image in the instruction how to construct. Thanks in advance

Rickv3

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Spent several days driving through Arizona in 110ยบF heat, the generator powering the air conditioning in the TT as we rolled along. No problems.
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I got them from eBay. I got the pair from a seller named Speed Daddy, but there's lots of people that sell the same fans. They come in sizes from 6" to 16". According to the info online each one of my 12" fans push out 1700+ CFM.

http://stores.ebay.com/Speed-Daddy-Com/Cooling-Fans-/_i.html?_fsub=3489166018&_sid=841766438&_trksid...

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Proxim2020. Where did you get the fans?
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. I agree with the idea of being as quiet as possible with our generators. I built a 12 gauge steel cabinet with a similar 120 v fan and vent. I also made the cord long enough that I can park the back of the truck away from our rig. Only problem is forgetting to shut it off. At times, depending on where we are I will keep the lid propped about 2/3 of the way open.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
We had a chance to use the generator in the box for an overnight boondocking stay. It purred along, barely audible, for 17 hours using half a tank of fuel.
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ! since my readings were higher, I'll keep an eye on the temps.

Really appreciate your effort.
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I had an opportunity to take some temperature readings. I took the temps after the generator had ran for a couple of hours. We had a pretty good load on it the entire time. We had the 15k AC going along with the TV and the converter charging the battery. I used a wireless indoor - outdoor thermometer to take the temps and all are internal.

Outdoor Ambient: 85 degrees

Location #1 - 97 Degrees: This is the location in front of the left fan. Also where my kill switch is located.

Location #2 - 110 Degrees: This is the location in front of the fan on the right. The exhaust blows into this fan.

Location #3 - 86 Degrees: This is the air intake side of the generator.

Location #4 - 89 Degrees: This is the temp on top of the gas tank.

Here are a few pictures of the box.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Temperature readings on an 85 degree day

Click here
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Thought about that too. But decided to go with the factory design. Seems to keep the breaker / outlet side of the box 40 degrees cooler. Today I tested it in 85 degree heat. Will post the video when it finishes uploading.

Can you take temperature readings while yours has been running ?

I'd really like to compare to a $1200 factory mode, thinking the metal would be a better conductor of heat to the breaker side which might bring up the temps on that side.
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I like it. I put my fans on the exhaust side. I was worried that putting the fans on the intake side could unintentionally create a bottle neck at the exhaust exit. In that situation heat would start to stack up. Not trying to give you advice, just something to think about if your temps rise too high in the summer heat.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
A video of the genny in operation with temperature readings

Click here
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Had a late night stroke of common sense; to add a hole in the side located as to hold the funnel for adding oil. The funnel should fit in the space next to the genny.
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4