cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panels- Wired in Series vs. Parallel question

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
So the debate between wiring panels in Series or Parallel. Please tell me the benefits of wiring either way and if there are negatives, please educate me on that as well.
Thanks to those that respond.
47 REPLIES 47

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
mchero, I think nobody cares to read the full thread anymore.

Incorrect

Thanks for the link Solarenergy5. Will be helpful for others reading this thread.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

solarenergy5
Explorer
Explorer
Hi here is a tutorial videos in which you can learn about the calculations required using python. Solar panels in series or parallel are calculated with pc, programs or calculators. Hope this help. The website is foros.calculadoras.com.mx

solarenergy5
Explorer
Explorer
The voltage requirement is something you have to keep in mind when considering the type of installation. I found this tutorial video that can help you to calculate both installations just in case you want to compare that to make a more accurate decision. Youtube channel:Tutorialesdecalculadoras

if you want more advanced calculations you can check this website, too foros.calculadoras.com.mx

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Almot wrote:
, I think nobody cares to read the full thread anymore..
OP is gone. Hope he's educated by now.

Probably gave up

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
, I think nobody cares to read the full thread anymore..
OP is gone. Hope he's educated by now.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
mchero, I think nobody cares to read the full thread anymore. Not that it would make sense, either. "Debate on parallel vs series". Huh? How about both? Is it PWM or MPPT? What wattage? etc etc.

Your setup is series-parallel. YES. This is one of the options with even number of panels. Has been said in this thread - how many - 3 times, 4? ๐Ÿ™‚

What "panel or two" in addition to existing three... 60A MPPT - now that we know what controller they have, thanks God - will be more than maxed up with 5*230W. Unless they go for 24V bank - will they, can they 24? Time for a psychic to join us, to show the way.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Almot wrote:
Question with no details = Going in circles.

The OP has 3, 24 volt, 230 watt panels in series, going to a Outback 60 charge controller. He is contemplating adding another panel or two.
The question is how would you wire it or rewire it and why.

Richard

I tried to explain my setup but Almot scolded me! LOL
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Richard - this also has been already covered. Probably more than once. See the last post by SMK. No response from the OP. Going for round 5? ๐Ÿ˜‰ ...

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
I don't quite understand this obsession with wire size.
My obsession was using the OEM #10 wire from the roof to the basement.

x2.
Buy MC4 cable, cut it in half, plug and play. No roof junction box. I have yet to see a plastic box that will stand to all year round heat and UV where I am - and they all look ugly ๐Ÿ™‚

RLS7201 wrote:
The OP has 3, 24 volt, 230 watt panels in series, going to a Outback 60 charge controller. He is contemplating adding another panel or two.

Now I recall that old thread. Should've probably bought TS MPPT 60.
The question is - again - what he is going to wire, "another panel" or "two". And, - what panel(s). There can't be a definitive answer without a defined input. A debate can be. Series, parallel, series-parallel, mismatched or not, thinner/thicker cable, J-box, here we go again, round 4.

How about you answer the question twice. Once for one added panel and once for 2 added panels. And before you ask, the added panel(s) will be identical to the panels already in place. Should be simple enough.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
My obsession was using the OEM #10 wire from the roof to the basement.

x2.
Buy MC4 cable, cut it in half, plug and play. No roof junction box. I have yet to see a plastic box that will stand to all year round heat and UV where I am - and they all look ugly ๐Ÿ™‚

RLS7201 wrote:

Now I recall that old thread. Should've probably bought TS MPPT 60.
The question is - again - what he is going to wire, "another panel" or "two". And, - what panel(s). There can't be a definitive answer without a defined input. A debate can be. Series, parallel, series-parallel, mismatched or not, thinner/thicker cable, J-box, here we go again, round 4.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
My obsession was using the OEM #10 wire from the roof to the basement. That, and I just think using higher voltage is pretty cool. And wiring many panels in series is a whole lot easier.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I used PV wire for my setup. I also purchased a crimper to make up my own MC4 connectors. Very quick and easy. I believe I picked up a 100' roll.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:

Richard
OB-60 is only rated 125 Voc so the three in series is the max.

I am not sure it matters what the mix is but it needs to be even.
4 panels = 2 parallel, 2 series or 4 parallel is fine.
5 panels = 5 parallel panels.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Question with no details = Going in circles.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson