cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What jack to lift one corner of a Class C E450?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to get a jack to keep on board my 31' Class C, as well as any time needed at home.....to lift one corner at a time.

I have 6 ton jack stands to use once lifted.

Any tips on jack placement on chassis, storage, tire removal, etc.

Thanks!

Wondering if this would be good for on board as well as home use...

Harbor Freight Jack
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
19 REPLIES 19

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our class-C on an E350 chassis came with a 6 ton bottle jack. It works.

I was going to buy an 8 ton or 12 ton bottle jack because more is better. That is until I picked one up. I didn't want to carry and handle so much weight.

At home I use my rolling 4500 pound floor jack to lift a rear corner or the front end. Neither exceed the rating of the jack.

Valpo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Well I did not fail the round peg game but I have not honestly looked at the front end if I can get 2 stands side by side. Like I said I want to do the front brakes but I also don’t want to pay for something I can do myself. I can support 4 tons with jacks I have on hand if they will fit or if I can do it with 1 stand then maybe that is the way I will go.
2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE 28 foot
2018 Wrangler JLU - pulling duty as a daily and toad
2012 Audi A7 - daily fun car

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Valpo Camper wrote:
Sorry for the old thread posting. So what weight limit jackstand would be best for the front of a class C? I need to jack up the front to look at my front brakes. I have a 10 ton bottle to lift it just not sure how much hold capacity I need to support it. I have car stands on hand that will hold 2 tons each so if I can lift it then set both on the side I am working on then I should be able to support 4 tons.

If you think you can set 2 jack stands side by side and leave the other front wheel on the ground, you may have failed pre school and the square block round hole test.
I’d suggest staying away from things that may injure you.

PS it’s ok to bring the thread back up. It was a weird one anyway….always fun when Baja Man posts!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Valpo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the old thread posting. So what weight limit jackstand would be best for the front of a class C? I need to jack up the front to look at my front brakes. I have a 10 ton bottle to lift it just not sure how much hold capacity I need to support it. I have car stands on hand that will hold 2 tons each so if I can lift it then set both on the side I am working on then I should be able to support 4 tons.
2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE 28 foot
2018 Wrangler JLU - pulling duty as a daily and toad
2012 Audi A7 - daily fun car

30sweeds
Explorer
Explorer
There can be problems with almost any jack if you happen to have a flat on the front.A bottle jack won't get under it where you need to be to get the tire off the ground...and more problems if not on concrete.Black top not usually good enough.I built a 6 inch high wedge out of 1 inch plywood to run the wheel up on to get the bottle jack under it and if not on concrete,something relatively thin and extremely sturdy for under the jack to keep it from sinking in the ground.These things are HEAVY! Just went through this.Wished I would have called AAA.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
3 ton floor jack 1 wheel at a time is fine. 6 ton jack stands, impact wrench, breaker bar, impact sockets.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Baja Man wrote:
Would like to get a jack to keep on board my 31' Class C, as well as any time needed at home.....to lift one corner at a time.

I have 6 ton jack stands to use once lifted.

Any tips on jack placement on chassis, storage, tire removal, etc.

Thanks!

Wondering if this would be good for on board as well as home use...

Harbor Freight Jack

I don’t even trust shop towels from Hazard Fraught, but to each their own. I’m sure it’s fine.
Do you have onboard air to use that jack with?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Btosuner
Explorer
Explorer
thank you

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
The Low Profile 12- and 20-ton are intriguing. Question is do you want to pick up from low, or to be able to lift a little higher (low profile vs. standard)? I have seen double-extending bottle jacks, where they were really squatty but got good height because they had a telescoping ram, a piston within a piston. These low profile HF jacks are NOT that type.

Here's the double-ram (for added lift height) low profile 12-ton jack I carry in our Class C:

http://www.site.torinjacksusa.com/bigred/bigred-categories/bigred-bottle-jacks/item/12-ton-dual-stag...

To me, the ultimate would be a double-ram low profile 12-ton jack that was air lift with a 4 foot or longer air hose that DID NOT require a compressor - but instead had a levered hand pump at the end of the air hose. This ultimate setup would be the best of all worlds for lifting a Class C: HIgh lift, low profile, 12-ton lifting weight over-kill for long term reliability, air lift via a long hose for operator safety ... with the air pressure not requiring a compressor or air tank for simplicity and minimum storage space.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Bottle jack. Get several chunks of scrap lumber too for stacking. Also while we are talking, a LONG breaker bar if this is for tire changing.

How long of a breaker bar do you recommend? They got anywhere from 24 to 40 inches available.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Bottle jack. Get several chunks of scrap lumber too for stacking. Also while we are talking, a LONG breaker bar if this is for tire changing.

...and a set of wheel chocks. Get wheel chocks regardless, but especially so if you have an older chassis with the driveshaft mounted parking brake, since lifting one rear wheel off the ground completely negates the parking brake's holding power.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bottle jack and assortment of wood blocks works great, and a packing blanket from HF for 5 bucks to lie on.

I do own the air hydraulic jack as mentioned on the original post and it works great. Since the Class c went bye and I have a toy hauler I keep a 20 ton bottle jack onboard.

geeman53
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 12 ton bottle jack . It will do the heavy lifting ,if needed.
2016 forest river sunseeker 2250 slec