Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Chainsaw ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Chainsaw ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
nevadanick

Elko, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/16 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess i should have been more specific. We are going to Alaska and will camp along the way. Just about everywhere i have ever camped, gathering firewood is allowed. I dont want to have to stick 10ft deadfall in the Jeep. I know all about transporting, the reason for taking the chainsaw. Whatever we dont use up, we leave behind for the next person.

korbe

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/16 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A chain saw can get you out of a jam too. Not just for fire wood.

tonymull

lake stevens, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/16 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry an electric, less maintenance and mess, charges from the solar panels. We camp in BC and Alaska. In BC there are many clear cuts (most access to lakes is over old logging roads) so there is always plenty of firewood to gather around the edges. In Alaska there always seems to be beetle killed timber. I carry a bow saw too. I've had to clear overhead space to get the camper into places, clear the road, and I carry it on the ATV also. If you have a wife that likes to stay warm while you wander off to fish, the amount of firewood required is a bit daunting.

PatRenee

Huntsville Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/16 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Milwaukee Tools makes a small handheld battery powered sawzall... i buy a 8 or 10 inch blade for it and cut away.... it wont cut a log but its great for 4
' or smaller.... cost $100 Home depot and Lowes carry it...

nevadanick

Elko, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/16 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, thanks for the responses that actually pertain to what i asked. I will take a small one with me.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/16 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry a bowsaw, but not for firewood -- it is to clear downed logs blocking forest roads. Yes, it is slower than a chainsaw, but we don't have to carry gas or worry about it dripping oil.

And we have only had to use it three times in the last eleven years!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/16 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During the years we lived in Alaska, I often carried a chainsaw with us. Very handy at times, especially when boon docking . Many of the years when we camped on the Kenai, we were on property we owned so cutting trees wasn't a problem.
Remember one time on the road out to Chena Hot Springs, I took the 5th wheel down a trail/path that I thought had a turn around at the end by the river. It seemed like a good idea at the time. LOL

But it took the better part of a day and a half to cut enough willow trees to be able to turn the trailer around to get out of there and back on the pavement. Normally I would walk the trail first before driving down it. Was sure glad I had a small chainsaw and a few gallons of mixed gas with us.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
http://www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/16 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the day.....I went to visit my uncle near Goose Bay which was then way off the road system. Got in OK with my 4WD pickup but it rained for two solid days and I had to more or less build my own mini-corduroy road to get out. Fortunately, I was young and energetic in those days and....had my trusty Stihl chainsaw.

I always carry a chainsaw when I'm taking a surface vehicle off asphalt in Alaska. If its my pickup, it's my big Stihl. If it's an ATV, i've got a small Poulan.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

bcbouy

pitt meadows british columbia

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/16 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i carry a little stihl 35.it's paid for itself a dozen times over.small enough to pack and big enough to cut firewood and in my case,clear a deadfall on the forest service roads i tend to travel.forget those wimpy electric ones.i think mine was around $200.a full tank and full chain lube lasts a long time.almost a full season.

2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

nevadanick

Elko, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/16 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For small i have a Husqvarna 445 and a Stihl MS250, also have a Husqvarna 365 but i havent seen trees that far north that are big enough to justify it. Used to have a couple of bigger saws also.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Chainsaw ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS