Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Buying a New TC Hauler
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Buying a New TC Hauler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/16 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After returning from a recent two-week trip to CO and WY, I ordered some Torklift Stableloads, and got busy getting my front hitch mounted so I could carry my toolbox again. I missed having the storage space.

I ordered the Stableloads from Tweety's, and I got them installed yesterday. The truck squats about 2” less with the camper on it now, so we'll see how that works. If it needs any more help supporting the camper than just the Stableloads, I'm going to have another leaf added to the overload springs.

[image]

I also got the front hitch mounted yesterday. It went on a little easier than the old truck. I remember having to use a jack to force it onto the frame, it was so tight. It's a little looser on the new truck. You still have to remove the front air dam, and drop the front ant-sway bar to get clearance. The sway bar is held up by four bolts, and you can re-mount it after installing the hitch. Once the hitch is installed, you can hold the air dam up and trace around the receiver to mark where the hole needs to be. I cut the hole from the back side of the air dam with a razor utility knife.

[image]

Looking at the hitch behind the air-dam.

The 2015 and up Superduty's have little coolers everywhere you look. I thought my old 2010 had a lot, but the new truck has even more. I was a little worried that the tranny cooler hanging on the frame on the passenger side was going to interfere with the hitch, but fortunately it doesn't.

[image]

The hitch mounting bolt closest to the sway bar has to be pulled through the frame with a bolt-puller wire. It's a carriage bolt that engages a slot in the frame.

[image]

Bolt puller.

[image]

Running the wires for the lights on the toolbox was as much a chore as installing the hitch itself. On the old truck, I had the lights at the top of the bumper guides wired into the turn/marker lights above the headlamps on each side. This was a single-filament bulb on the 2008-2010 SD's, so the bumper guide lights were on solid with the marker lights, and flashed with the turn signals. On the 2015 and up SD's, the bulb on the truck now has two filaments, so the bumper guide lights will only be on solid with the marker lights. I didn't discover that until I had already run separate wiring for each of the bumper guide lights. I also ran the wires for the auxiliary driving lights on the front of the toolbox, and connected them to one of the upfitter switches. So, the bumper guide lights are using the four-pin trailer connector, and the driving lights are using the two two-pin connectors. The driving light wiring is made from a spare 25' 12v battery charger extension cord I wasn't using.

[image]

The upfitter switches inside the cab. The choice of which switch to use is determined by the amperage of the circuit you connect to it. Battery Charge Protect is connected to the lowest amperage switch (Aux-3), the continuous-duty solenoid for the TC battery charge circuit is connected to the 15-amp switch (Aux-4), and the toolbox driving lights are connected to a 25-amp switch (Aux-2). Aux-1 is not used yet.

Ford upfitter Switches:
Aux-1 [25-amp] Circuit No. CAC05 Wire Color: Yellow 16awg
Aux-2 [25-amp] Circuit No. CAC06 Wire Color: Green / Brown 16awg
Aux-3 [10-amp] Circuit No. CAC07 Wire Color: Violet / Green 20awg
Aux-4 [15-amp] Circuit No. CAC08 Wire Color: Brown 20awg

[image]

All the lights work, yea! The toolbox is just pushed close enough to the truck to plug in the wires and test the lights. The top of the toolbox, like most of the other flat surfaces in my garage, becomes a shelf when I'm not using it on the truck, and I didn't want to unload it.

[image]

That should just about do it as far as making the new truck a TC hauler goes. If I do anything else before this topic gets locked down in a year, I'll post it here.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 12/20/20 09:48am by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/16 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's such a pleasure installing mods on a truck with a totally clean undercarriage!

Nice looking truck.

What is "battery charge protect"?

Aux lights on your tool box remind me of ditch lights on locomotives.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/16 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Battery Charge Protect is one of the Stationary Engine Idle Control (SEIC) modes built into the PCM. Most of the SEIC modes are for the various types of PTO operation (Stationary mode, Live Drive and Split Shaft operation). There is also a mode for simply raising the idle RPM, either to a fixed or a variable RPM depending on how it's hooked up. BCP mode allows the PCM to monitor battery voltage while the truck is idling with the emergency brake set, and manipulate the alternator output and engine RPM separately as needed to maintain good charging voltage. The engine and tranny temps are monitored as well, and the PCM will not allow them to overheat.

I use that mode occasionally when the camper is on the truck. I had BCP mode enabled on my 2010 F450 as well, and for that model year the PCM maintained good charging voltage by manipulating the idle RPM only. On the 2011 and up, as a fuel-saving feature the alternator output can actually be increased up to a point without raising the idle RPM at all. In fact, when the Ford tech first enabled BCP on this truck, he thought it was working opposite of what it should be doing. He would turn on the BCP switch, and the idle RPM would go DOWN. It took a call to a design engineer to learn that it was working as designed.

Here's a snip from the Body Builders Bulletin that covers all of the SEIC modes. Note that in addition to giving the PCM a reference to battery voltage, you also have to install a resistor across two of the PTO control points:

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 12/20/20 10:01am by NRALIFR *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/16 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice up fitting work on the new rig....and camper.
And congrats on the new rig!
But you're right, there sure is a lot of schitt packed into the front half of these new trucks! Big reason I'm not parting with my "old" truck yet!
Hard t believe a rig only 10 years old could be considered straight forward and easy to work on......but then again that's what my dad said when I was a little kid after opening the hood on an 80s model all clogged up with emissions equipment vs the '74 and '70 models being replaced. Becoming my father! Cue up Neil young.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

riah

ny

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Happy Holidays!

(Came across your prior post via the link in the thread related to the battery charging and dc-dc charger post.)

We actually find the sunroof helpful with the TC.!

We installed a hatch for access to the TC overhead area - as the rear pass-thru access was limited for all intents and purposes, for pass thru of just small pets - so we open the camper sunroof and climb up/down through that instead. (There is a boot between the hatch and sunroof too.)

(It helped that we had purchased the TC used and were having to repair/rebuild the AF 990 TC due to prior water damage. But we can now pass thru the hatch - if the weather is poor; or when the other is driving (primarily to use the BR) - without having to lose time stopping/pulling over.) It’s been pretty handy. (We bought a foam mattress that’s in three sections, so we just store each section on their side while we are driving so that we are able to open the hatch while the vehicle is in motion.)

Anyways, just thought I’d share how we found it to be of use with a TC! [emoticon]

NRALIFR wrote:

“...This truck has a sunroof which I didn't want (sorta useless with a TC)....”
[emoticon][emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy holidays to you as well!

That’s pretty darn clever riah! I showed it to the boss and she thought so too [emoticon]

I almost wish you hadn’t told me about it though, cause now you got my thinker-bone working on how I could do that, and you know how much that can hurt. [emoticon] We’re pretty locked in to our current mattress since it’s so comfortable. You know how it is as you age, changing mattresses becomes a big deal!

So, I’m thinking of something like the pop-up campers use to lift the bed to reach the storage underneath. Gas struts! Electric lift systems! Cables and winches! Fulcrums and levers! Pulleys! Gears! Scissor lifts! Mwaahahaha! [emoticon]

Or, I could just have another beer and take a nap. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 12/22/20 01:21pm by NRALIFR *

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riah wrote:

Hi,

Happy Holidays!

(Came across your prior post via the link in the thread related to the battery charging and dc-dc charger post.)

We installed a hatch for access to the TC overhead area - as the rear pass-thru access was limited for all intents and purposes, for pass thru of just small pets - so we open the camper sunroof and climb up/down through that instead. (There is a boot between the hatch and sunroof too.)

(It helped that we had purchased the TC used and were having to repair/rebuild the AF 990 TC due to prior water damage. But we can now pass thru the hatch - if the weather is poor; or when the other is driving (primarily to use the BR) - without having to lose time stopping/pulling over.) It’s been pretty handy. (We bought a foam mattress that’s in three sections, so we just store each section on their side while we are driving so that we are able to open the hatch while the vehicle is in motion.)

Anyways, just thought I’d share how we found it to be of use with a TC! [emoticon]

NRALIFR wrote:

[emoticon][emoticon]

Pics or it didn’t happen!

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Sweet rig!
But whyyyy do mfgs continue putting wood grain in the luxury model pickups? Nothing against your truck, it's bad @ss, but cmon, there's about a dozen different high end finishes now that don't scream 1977 Cadillac!
At least it looks better than the wood grain in the new Ram Laramies.

Let me guess you one of those that likes to paint all the nice wood in a house white.

riah

ny

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As soon as I can figure out how to add pictures here I’ll do that!

riah wrote:

If I ever figure out how to add pictures here I will!

billtex wrote:

riah wrote:

Hi,

Happy Holidays!

NRALIFR wrote:

[emoticon][emoticon]

Pics or it didn’t happen!

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riah wrote:

As soon as I can figure out how to add pictures here I’ll do that!

It looks like the forums photo posting site domain has been suspended.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Buying a New TC Hauler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.