cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it worth paying for Workamper News?

Starfire5
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the free issue from a year ago and the jobs listed were almost all volunteer positions. We need something that pays well. Is it worth the money to subscribe or is it a ripoff?
Catmom to our 3 camping cats: Helen the orange kitty, tiger Suzy (both rescues, too) and our new gorgeous girl, Samantha.
Doggie Grandma to one gorgeous golden puppy named Jameson
16 REPLIES 16

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Answer to original posting: NO!

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
I have worked at Yellowstone as a seasonal worker and I know that in the beginning of August a lot of college kids are headed back to school and so the concessionaires will be looking for help. You may be there only 6 or 7 weeks but you can get a lot of overtime.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Received my paid employment from Workamper News using their email hotline! I am retired now!

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Try coolworks.com lots of paying jobs I have used them for great seasonal jobs

Jesseannie

CampnJim
Explorer
Explorer
Starfire, How has your search been going? I was also hoping to start work camping (in a few years) and thought it was supposed to be easy to find work.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Starfire5. If you are subscribers of workamper news, I think they have sample resume's you can view. You should then create your resume on their website which can then be viewed by employers that use their site. You can also then send your resume from the site to any employer that has an ad with them. Go poke around their site and explore, you should find some help .

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Starfire,

you probably need to sit down with someone and talk through your resume. You need to emphasize your skills and not create a time linear resume. If what you plan to do requires being self-directed, then you should highlight where you have been that way. If you are trying to work in gift shop or reservations/check in, you should emphasize where you used customer service skills. If you have done something as a volunteer that would demonstrate appropriate skills or experience, list it. You may have to do several different resumes for different jobs. Everywhere now expects a resume tailored to the job.

Do not expect to make the same amount of money as a temporary worker as you do full-time in a permanent career type job. Yes there are some temp jobs that pay very well, but many do not pay that great. Be prepared and aware of what prevailing rates for those type jobs are.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Starfire5
Explorer
Explorer
OK, my problem now is no responses due to having no workamping experience. The old catch-22 ... no experience, no job ... no job, no experience. So how do you break into this without experience? This is WAY harder than I thought it was going to be!
Catmom to our 3 camping cats: Helen the orange kitty, tiger Suzy (both rescues, too) and our new gorgeous girl, Samantha.

Starfire5
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Thanks everybody for the feedback and for taking the time to respond! Really appreciate it!

mikejodifin
Explorer
Explorer
We've subscribed for 4 years, it's worth it.
:C Mike & Jodi

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Yes worth it
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are some ideas for you:

Alaska, more than any other state needs thousands of seasonal workers every summer to fill a whole myriad of positions. Some pay well and include housing and/or a site. Try the web sites for:

Princess Cruises/Alaska
Holland America
White Pass and Yukon Railway
Grey Line

and there are many others.

Rail Crew Hauling; Several large companies spread out over the nation along our rail corridors need drivers to haul rail crews to and from trains. These companies are not known for treating their employees well but for a short time you can do anything.

Utilities Locators. During the Summer in the NOrthern States Utility Locating companies are looking for people. If you are fairly fit and can walk a mile through a corn field or along a RR track this job can be a good one paying $18/hour and up.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Always got my paid jobs from their Hotline emails!!!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are other free listings that have paid positions. Just do a google search for something like - jobs for rvers or camping jobs etc. You will find other sources that are free. You can also pay for your camping and work outside of the campgrounds thru a temp service, local stores, any part time positions. You would need to stay in an area for a few months before moving on though.