cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll call Alaska 2017

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to get to Alaska next year, dreamed about it for years.

Anyone else planing a trip for next year?
191 REPLIES 191

Ed_Rana2
Explorer
Explorer
Lakeside, I share your sentiment. We did similar numbers on our trip. Looking forward to a return. So many highlights, feel blessed for our experience.
Ed & Sally
2005 Jayco Jayflight 28'
2015 Chevy 2500

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Left home for Alaska May 5th. Arrived back home at end of July. 13,000 miles driven, 1100 gallons of diesel and 25 gallons of DEF used. So many memories. So much beauty seen and so many animals viewed. Fishing the ocean adjacent to and the rivers in Alaska was beyond my greatest expectations.

We have been to Alaska five times, with this the first time driving the whole distance. Everyone who likes the outdoors, enjoys wildlife, is mesmerized by beautiful mountain scenery and appreciates the solitude of wide open spaces, should plan to complete this trip at least once in a lifetime. You will most likely, not be disappointed.

Safe travels.

Lakeside

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
thedavidzoo wrote:
Quick question on Salmon Glacier near Hyder AK. Is the road up doable in a dually with TC with 4' overhang in back? Haven't been able to find that info.

Here's a couple of photos of the road out to Salmon Glacier, plently of room for your rig, photos taken in 2015.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Got back a few days ago from a great 2 month trip including Old Denali Hwy and the Dempster!
Answered my own question about duallys with a large TC on the road to Salmon Glacier. No problem whatsoever.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question on Salmon Glacier near Hyder AK. Is the road up doable in a dually with TC with 4' overhang in back? Haven't been able to find that info.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
dukenurse wrote:
We are planning our third trip to Alaska but first time by truck with slide in. We plan to leave second week of July from Virginia. Any suggestions on routes?

There is no limit with your TC. I did the Denali Highway 8 from Paxon to Cantwell, the Dalton twice up to Deadhorse and part of the Demster. On the way back I went a few days on top of Salmon Glacier pass Hyder AK (Stewart BC). Top of the world highway is an easy ride in a TC.

Also it is easy and not too espensive to take the ferry from Skagway to Haines AK.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

TravelingLady66
Explorer
Explorer
Left Taos, NM for Alaska June 6th and crossing into Canada on June 15th for Alaska, Yukon and NWT.. starting a year long journey throughout North America -- no agenda -- woo hoo...

Lisa & Alice, labradoodle
2002 Roadtrek 200 Versatile

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving on Tuesday from VA, returning 25th Aug.:B
2017 Northstar 12' STC

dukenurse
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning our third trip to Alaska but first time by truck with slide in. We plan to leave second week of July from Virginia. Any suggestions on routes?

n2light
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we had to cancel our 2017 trip.

The plan was to leave next Monday, Grandson got out of school today, and return in late August, however my mother-in-law (93) took a fall and just got out of the hospital a few days ago.

I had put new shoes on the truck and fiver, maintenance items were completed and the only thing left was to stock the fiver with groceries. Sorry we couldn't make it, but we will add our names to the 2018 roll call.
2013 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L
2016 Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel
K6DN - 146.52

terrax
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a convenient method to get the most current road conditions for Yukon roads and highways on your smartphone:

- Open your Facebook Messenger and search for Yukonroadbot
- Say or type Hi or whatever to start a conversation
- If you don't now the highway names just say or type names
- Say or type the number or road name to get the current road conditions
Stephan
rvnorth.com

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Alaska for 25 years. Still enjoy the road trips. 3 months last summer. Cruise in August this year to check out SE AK.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Jacketsbum,

We did our Alaska trip in 2015 from West. PA in the time-frame you referenced. We were time-constrained on both ends. Nevertheless, we had a great time and are talking about going up again next year. The more time you have available, the better. But, it is still a very exciting and enjoyable trip in 8 weeks.

What others have said about the trip through Canada is bang on target. So, as they say, enjoy the journey not only the destination. And, if you haven't seen the Badlands NP and Mt. Rushmore on your journey to Yellowstone, taking a little time on your Alaska trip would be worthwhile. Have fun planning your trip.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
Jacketsbum,

If you have more time available, take it, unless you're planning on a second trip. Don't rush through Canada, there's just as much to see there as there is Alaska.

Bill

Something so many seem to miss. First of all, Canada is HUGE. Alaska is small compared to the NW Canada part of the trip. Second, some of the best mountain scenery over the largest area is in Canada. Best of all, wildlife spotting is much better in Canada.

It is much more than a trip to Alaska. It is a trip to The North. The more time spent on the whole thing the better. Done it 3 times from MD. Each time the trip was in excess of 120 days. Each time we came back wondering where the time disappeared to.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995