Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roll call Alaska 2017
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll call Alaska 2017

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next
keyspirate

Tennessee and Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/16 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning our second trip next year. We will be doing trains, boats and planes while there.

R. Walter

Lindrith, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/16 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been in Alaska on several previous fishing trips, but always flew up. My wife and I just retired and are on the road full-timing, more or less. Currently we're in Mass volunteering at a COE site for the summer. Alaska is on our itinerary for next summer, at least on mine. Wife may or may not accompany me. I'm debating on pulling our 32 foot Hitchhiker or taking my Lance truck camper. Still have about 11 months to decide. Maybe I'll meet up with some of you next summer.

2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/16 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

R. Walter wrote:

I've been in Alaska on several previous fishing trips, but always flew up. My wife and I just retired and are on the road full-timing, more or less. Currently we're in Mass volunteering at a COE site for the summer. Alaska is on our itinerary for next summer, at least on mine. Wife may or may not accompany me. I'm debating on pulling our 32 foot Hitchhiker or taking my Lance truck camper. Still have about 11 months to decide. Maybe I'll meet up with some of you next summer.
Right or wrong I'm leaving my 5th wheel at home and taking my 17' TH-TT.

ford-willy

Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/16 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I are leaving mid May of 17 from Southern Ca. Will be traveling for 3 months. Traveling with good friends of ours. Cant wait.

2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/16 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip for 2017, with my dear mother. Dates and itinerary somewhat undecided as yet. I'm thinking of heading up via Baniff and Jasper, and returning via a more coastal route and possibly continuing on to visit my brother in California before returning home, but that may be impractically long for a working man.

Anybody every see the midnight sun baseball game in Fairbanks? It sounds kind of like fun, though of course I'm not traveling to Alaska primarily for the baseball.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/16 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

- Having made the trip from Los Anchorage to/from various locations (Cut-Bank, Idaho Falls, Bellingham, Spokane) more or less in 80 hours or less a few times, I don't recommend that method.
- I've always found the farming country of Alberta / Saskatchewan to be nice, but predictable and avoid that route if possible;
- Western /Northwestern BC and the Yukon Territories are almost as scenic as Alaska (possibly more scenic than parts of the "Beaver Creek - Delta - Squarebanks" drive). Don't skimp on time for this part of the trip.
- Having grown up in AK, I can't help but be old codger-ish and think the "old Alaska" is gone.....but the midnight sun baseball game is a bit of a link to the past.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

n2light

State of Jefferson - El Dorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/16 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add us to the 2017 list! Just came back from 5 week tour of some western NP's with 7 year old grandson, who is going with us next year; had a wonderful time.

First RV owned so this year was a shakedown for next year.

2013 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L
2016 Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel
K6DN - 146.52

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/16 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just moving this to the top for use when the 'new group' begins thoughts....

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

PghBob

Pittsburgh PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/16 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip for 2017, with my dear mother. Dates and itinerary somewhat undecided as yet. I'm thinking of heading up via Baniff and Jasper, and returning via a more coastal route and possibly continuing on to visit my brother in California before returning home, but that may be impractically long for a working man.

Definite YES to Banff and Jasper. One idea for you to save time, consider taking the Alaskan Ferry System on the return leg of your trip. In 2015, we left Juneau on the ferry and after 4 nights arrived in Bellingham, Washington. You could then just get right on I5 to Cali to visit your family. Beautiful views along the inside passage, and with stops in Sitka and Ketchikan for a few hours. If interested, book early. The ships are popular with RVers and big rigs.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/16 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I will try to get to Alaska next year, dreamed about it for years.

Anyone else planing a trip for next year?

Don't just dream about it, do it. If you keep dreaming about it that all it ever will be just a dream. We did our journey to Alaska and through Canada in June/ August 0f 2015 and plan on returning in 2018/19.

[image]
Matanuska Glacier,Alaska
[image]
Soldotna,Alaska

[image]
No night time in Deadhorse,Alaska

* This post was edited 09/26/16 02:24pm by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman210000 YouTube Videos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll call Alaska 2017
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS