cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring 1987 holaday Rambler

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I have purchased a 1987 Motor home and am fixing it up as money is available. I have replaced the passenger side brake line and caliper and now have three wheels that lock up when you stomp on the breaks. This is much better then the one or two that were working on the harrowing drive home after the purchase.
The air pumps are being removed at this time as the driver side one is locked up. The passenger side one seems to be working, but there is a hole in the part mounted on the header that is causing a little ticking sound. The header parts will be welded up at a later date when I can bribe my people with a appropriate reward.
I have changed the passenger side spark plugs, the old ones had a gap of around 80 to 85 thousand when I took them out. They did have a nice tan color. The driver side plugs will be replaced next, along with the cap and rotor.
The front air bags are holding pressure, and the front suspension has been greased with new grease. It has some sort of stabilizer made from mounting two large springs on the front and rear of the lower control arm.
I will be asking some ???? when I get to the parts I don't under stand.
717 REPLIES 717

goodady
Explorer II
Explorer II

Welding up the header parts sounds like a plan, and I'm curious about those air pumps. Hope you can sort out the ticking sound soon. Good call on the front suspension grease-up too.

Stroker500
Explorer
Explorer

Hello to a fellow ADHD friend, I too bought I believe the exact model for the exact price.  Now that my job retired me, lol, let go after 20 years, i have decided to go in full gear on this.  My name is Ed and I am in Summerville SC.  If you write me at my email I will give you my phone number

galaxie500beast@yahoo.com

The manual is much to be desired and I am wanting to know how to get the leveling system to engage.  I have the manual and auto level system panel on the left side, and I know that day I bought it, I saw him activate it.  Lost his number and now I ask you for the sequence to get it to work.  Do I have to have the manual brake on and somehow active that air compressor.  there is no power indication light coming on that is where it baffles me.

Looking forward to a fellow Rambler owners answers and thanks

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Great work.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
After a call back from the people at HWH, 563-724-3396, they said they made the jacks for that system back in the day. It is a 100 series kickdown system. it has different jacks. the front part for jack is AP7001, the back jack is AP7164. the Actuator is part AP0547 and seems to be the same on the front and rear. they said to make sure the roller bearing part number R12E should probably be replaced on each jack. the difference in jacks is where the Actuator mounts on the jack it seems. said the should both be 9000-pound jacks.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I dent see anything on the lippord jacks that look close. There must be some one make a replacement part for it. I guess its a take it to the rebuilder item. only been forty years it cant be that hard to get off, LOL

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
This is a picture of the passenger side front. It works and is extended.
the piece held by the hose clamp has two wires going into it, one to a ground on the pump. seen in the upper left of the shot, the other runs back to the light assembly by the driver's door. I believe this is a mercury switch. to activate the indicator lights.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
The main ram moves free and is clean, the ram on the metering block doesn't move. The part hanging down is a mercury switch I believe.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
We took of the lines and springs.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I was just checking to see if you got an answer yet.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
I have never used the leveling jacks. it seems the front work and the house to the return line is broke. Here is the rear jack. where does the wire go, and anybody know if they sell a kit to the controller mounted on the side of the jack.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
This is simply amazing. You have 6 years into this restoration.
I have to admire your persistence. Keep going. I just hope the end
result will be worth your effort.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
knocker loose time
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
These are the back of the step bolts, Ya they need to be taken off also.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
This is a underneath shot of the front two bolts. I am going to take this off and repair the step. Some day.