Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: restoring 1987 holaday Rambler
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> restoring 1987 holaday Rambler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 65  
Next
femailyetti

South of Disney World

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/16 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have purchased a 1987 Motor home and am fixing it up as money is available. I have replaced the passenger side brake line and caliper and now have three wheels that lock up when you stomp on the breaks. This is much better then the one or two that were working on the harrowing drive home after the purchase.
The air pumps are being removed at this time as the driver side one is locked up. The passenger side one seems to be working, but there is a hole in the part mounted on the header that is causing a little ticking sound. The header parts will be welded up at a later date when I can bribe my people with a appropriate reward.
I have changed the passenger side spark plugs, the old ones had a gap of around 80 to 85 thousand when I took them out. They did have a nice tan color. The driver side plugs will be replaced next, along with the cap and rotor.
The front air bags are holding pressure, and the front suspension has been greased with new grease. It has some sort of stabilizer made from mounting two large springs on the front and rear of the lower control arm.
I will be asking some ???? when I get to the parts I don't under stand.

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/16 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love our '89 HR. They were very well made. Good luck with your restoration and repairs.

Miles

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/16 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

femailyetti wrote:

The front air bags are holding pressure, and the front suspension has been greased with new grease.

Wise move. I always use new grease. [emoticon]

What engine/chassis?

We'll be waiting for the pictures.

fcooper

St. Augustine, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/16 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

femailyetti wrote:

It has some sort of stabilizer made from mounting two large springs on the front and rear of the lower control arm.

This sounds like a steer safe stabilizer. Here's a picture of one.

steer safe

Fred

Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

femailyetti

South of Disney World

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/16 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it indeed looks like the "Steer Safe" product mentioned in the link. My parts are not that shiny. I believe the chassis to be a 36 foot long P30 GM, it has a 454 Chevy with a four barrel carb with a lot of vacuum lines leaking at this point. It looks exactly like the one pictured in "Son of Norway's" post, I have a hitch but do not have the rack in it like his.
If you take of the passenger side air pump you must use a Dayco 5060520 belt to replace the old one and solve the "You need a What" problem at the parts store.
It will be funny when I get the toad for it running better, then I will have a 1987 Holiday Rambler towing a 1967 Rambler American wagon lol

SourCereal81

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/16 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately I have no mechanical knowledge so I couldn't help with that, but I was wondering how the paint looks on your 87 Rambler and if you were going to do any restoration as far as the outside goes. I just bought a 1989 Windjammer (Fleetwood? Airstream?) and it needs repainting. Im planning on doing some of the work myself as far as stripping and removing the old paint. Does anybody have any thoughts about how to safely remove the old paint off the aluminum siding of an older motorhome without damaging the metal itself? I'm hoping this cuts down on the cost of having somebody else paint it, which I was quoted $8,000 to $15,000 for the entire job. Yikes.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/16 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say belts and hoses go first. Then tune up issues like plugs & cap. Good oil. Then I go a little bit beyond, sometimes I'll go ahead and swap out alternator, battery, and water pump (after flushing radiator). I take things a bit far.... Still though, remember, tires are the #1 cause of break downs. Followed by radiator hoses...

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

femailyetti

South of Disney World

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/16 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today, after cutting some bolts with a grinder, I gained access to the drivers side spark plugs and replaced them. the cap and rotor were replaced with a Accel 8122 kit. the coil is reading fine, and it was put in the new cap.
I was having trouble getting fuel to the carb so I traced the line to look for problem's. I found a eclectic fuel pump that look fairly new. They never disconnected the old mechanical fuel pump, or bypassed it with a house. next on my list is taking of the fuel pump on the motor, and installing a plate there, and making sure the electric pump and all the line are up to standards

femailyetti

South of Disney World

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/16 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will try and get some photos as I do work

* This post was edited 07/23/16 07:46pm by femailyetti *

femailyetti

South of Disney World

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/16 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok. It didnt work lol

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 65  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> restoring 1987 holaday Rambler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS