cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat with Skin Issues and Hair Loss

crouseman41
Explorer
Explorer
My sister has a female domestic short hair cat about two years old. She has a history of feline acne under her chin and a brown, crusty substance that forms in her ears. She has been treated with a steroid, Zymox, and Tresaderm for her ears. Ozonal olive oil, witch hazel, and an antiseptic wash have been used on the cat's acne with no success. Homeopathic liver allergy and anti-itch meds have also been used. There is no plastic in her food or water dishes. The area under her chin has enlarged and now includes part of her neck. In addition, the cat has licked the hair from the area under the base of her tail. She continues to scratch both her neck and around her ears. Does anyone have any experience with issues like this with a cat? She was a rescue from a no-kill shelter. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Could food allergies be a source of the problem?
Dale & paulette Crouse
15 REPLIES 15

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Our late cat, Madeline, was allergic to every grain on the planet. We found it out when, in desperation, we moved her to a raw food diet, and everything cleared up. She could not have cat treats, nothing with any grain in it, or she'd have a bad flare-up.

Spotacus was allergic to something, but we just couldn't pinpoint what it was. When we moved him to non-grain foods, his skin cleared up, too. We never did figure out the guilty allergen, because he still ate kitty treats without having a flare-up.

Good luck to the kitty.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

jack_the_Machin
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar problem with our cat. Tried everything we could think of, and a bunch of things recommended by others. Finally took her to the vet who gave her a "long-term antibiotic." She is much better now, sores almost gone, fur growing back, much happier cat.

Worked for us. Good Luck.

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Try an all natural food. We have a store here that sells only natural food. As well as the staples of chicken and beef they also sell rabbit, elk as well as many others. The food is ground up and is more like a pate (paste). Some are sold with added nutrients. We use the chicken and beef and they add ground up chicken bones to make it more like the food they would get in the wild. It comes frozen in tubs and you thaw it out and then we make it into meal portions and re freeze. Then take the portions out and thaw as needed. If it is a food allergy this would tell you right away. Do some research on the net for all natural diet.

LeChuck80
Explorer
Explorer
crouseman41 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. The cat was adopted as a kitten from a shelter. She has never had fleas and is a strictly indoor cat. She had feline acne as a kitten, but it is now much worse. Her ears appear to have some type of infection (cat shakes her head and scratches) and the tissue looks somewhat inflamed. She has been tested for ear mites. The area underneath the base of her tail is about an inch where she has licked the hair away - this is a recent occurrence. Her vet has declined to do blood work, saying it was not necessary. The cat's coat looks healthy and her eyes are clear with no discharge. She has no cough and her appetite is good. This cat is very dear to my sister and she is at her wit's end trying to find relief for the cat. Any thoughts are appreciated. Dr. Doug, any experience with these conditions?

I had cats with fleas and your story is similar to mine. I guess every time I was 'lucky' to take a pet with issues. Once these fleas were causing my kitty dry skin and inflammation... Then I had a similar episode with the oldest cat, but after applying some flea control tips and with what I experienced already and quickly took care of it.

speed2020
Explorer
Explorer
I am very interested in whether this tool will help people ...? We are just in a bind. My daughter urgently needs treatment for alopecia. She is in a panic and honestly we are too. Every morning she loses several locks of hair and we don’t know how to stop it. She is already afraid to go to school because they will mock her. We found several ***Link Removed*** methods on one site, but absolutely nothing helps her. What can you advise us ... She cries every two hours and begs her hair to be returned! The worst thing is that we can’t help her in any way ...

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I highly recommend Veterinary Formula Hot Spot/Anti Itch Spray for the skin. Stops the itch immediately and helps the skin heal. You can get it at Tractor Supply, Walmart or online - not all stores have all formulas on their shelves.

It is possible as was the case with our dog --- yeast infection - too much yeast in the body. Skin/ears itching, scratching, licking, hair loss, secondary skin infection. We changed from dry to wet food to eliminate the grains used to bind the ingredients into the shapes - they are carbs and add to the yeast in the body. There is a veterinary formula shampoo to help treat this too.

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
The beauty and health of the skin, nails, and hair are not possible without sufficient nutrients in the body. Vitamin for hair biotin is used as a means for external and internal use for the treatment and prevention of various pathologies. Biotin is also compatible with other vitamins and beneficial ingredients http://thehairlossadvisor.com At the same time, I use spirulina, which is the building material for the hair.

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
crouseman41 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. The cat was adopted as a kitten from a shelter. She has never had fleas and is a strictly indoor cat.....

It's past time to get a second opinion. Good luck.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

crouseman41
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Dr. Doug, for your reply. Your recommendations will be followed and are greatly appreciated. My sister is desperate to see this little cat get better.

Paulette
Dale & paulette Crouse

dturm
There is obviously an undiagnosed parasite condition or an issue with this kitten's immune system.

The infectious/parasitic causes seem to have been treated or eliminated that pretty much leaves the unusual:

1. overwhelmed and unable to deal with usual infections (like acne) or
2. immune mediated/auto-immune disease (many possible - like pemphigus)
3. severe allergic reaction to ???

Food allergies do happen and it's worth trying a limited ingredient food with a single protein and single carb source.

Antihistamines can help, my favorite in cats is chlorpheniramine (it's available OTC).

BUT, my suggestion is to get another opinion with a fresh set of eyes, probably a dermatologist would be your best bet.

The most frustrating case in a cat I had in 37 years of practice was one I referred to the derm dept at Purdue. The cat cleared up when in their hospital and relapsed every time it went home. Nothing worked. After about a year back and forth, totally unrelated the owner stopped smoking and THE CAT CLEARED UP. Go figure, the cat was allergic to tobacco.

Allergies can be really hard to track down and require a very dedicated owner willing to communicate with a vet that's willing to communicate.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would try changing food to see if it's a food allergy. Have you tried an antibiotic cream topically on the spots. Our small dog gets hotspots and the hair comes out. If I clean the area and then put neosporin on it, it heals right away. If I don't use an antibiotic, she keeps licking and licking and then it gets crusty and bleeds, no hair etc. I'd sure give it a try on any of her spots, even the feline acne area.

crouseman41
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. The cat was adopted as a kitten from a shelter. She has never had fleas and is a strictly indoor cat. She had feline acne as a kitten, but it is now much worse. Her ears appear to have some type of infection (cat shakes her head and scratches) and the tissue looks somewhat inflamed. She has been tested for ear mites. The area underneath the base of her tail is about an inch where she has licked the hair away - this is a recent occurrence. Her vet has declined to do blood work, saying it was not necessary. The cat's coat looks healthy and her eyes are clear with no discharge. She has no cough and her appetite is good. This cat is very dear to my sister and she is at her wit's end trying to find relief for the cat. Any thoughts are appreciated. Dr. Doug, any experience with these conditions?
Dale & paulette Crouse

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the cat come from a shelter or kennel? We had a cat that developed similar symptoms plus a problem with what looked like athletes' foot on her paws. Turns out there's a fungus and bacterial condition that develops from unclean kennels. Our cat was a shelter cat. A strong antibiotic and antiviral was administered and it cleared up. Sorry, can't remember the vet name for the condition, perhaps Dr. Doug can help with that. Another possibility is an allergic reaction to flea bites. Had a cat with that too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I would assume you've ruled out fleas. Had a cat with this and it was gross. Bald skin, moist, crusty.. yuck.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman