Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Champion generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Champion generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
jdc1

Riverside, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

to me the most important element of this decision is the noise level. my experience camping is that Honda can't be beat in that category.

Almost every inverter generator is as quiet as a Honda now. To be competitive, they have to be.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having owned and used dozens of portable generators over the years in our construction company, I like the Champions on a price versus performance basis. Some are nosier than others but a lot cheaper and some are just as quiet as the famous brands and a lot cheaper.

NO mechanical portable generator is something I want running outside my open window at night, I don't care what color it is.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 01:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

smarty wrote:

to me the most important element of this decision is the noise level. my experience camping is that Honda can't be beat in that category.

Almost every inverter generator is as quiet as a Honda now. To be competitive, they have to be.

actually, very few can match Honda's decibel ratings. most come close but only a handful match it. and i'm a fan of a number of non-Honda inverter generators.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Champion 2000i inverter generator and it works perfect for my needs. Runs everything I need to run and understand that it is NOT a 5K unit so I use it accordingly.

cpaulsen

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cpaulsen wrote:

I have a Champion 2000i inverter generator and it works perfect for my needs. Runs everything I need to run and understand that it is NOT a 5K unit so I use it accordingly.

Bingo! Like most of these threads where everyone touts what they own, we forget to define the OP's wants and needs. I hauled one generator over 10,000 miles and two years without using it once. Another, I ran every night for a month as I did mostly Walmarting on that trip. The one that got the free ride could have been red, green, blue, or yellow. (It was a Honda 2000i

For instance, a generator to run a 15k air conditioner at Nascar races might be different from one used to top off the trailer battery once a week.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I need the power to run a construction site, I get my 8500 watt gen set out. When I start it, conversation is not possible but with the table saws, air compressors, circular saws, etc all running at the same time, ear protection is required.
When I want to charge my batteries in my TT, I fire up the Champion. Some people will never admit than anyone but Honda can make a quality gen set. Honda, Yamaha, and Champion all make good gen sets. Make a decision and live with it.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

... Some people will never admit than anyone but Honda can make a quality gen set. Honda, Yamaha, and Champion all make good gen sets. Make a decision and live with it.
They paid more, so they have to justify their purchase by convincing themselves its worth more.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

BarabooBob wrote:

... Some people will never admit than anyone but Honda can make a quality gen set. Honda, Yamaha, and Champion all make good gen sets. Make a decision and live with it.
They paid more, so they have to justify their purchase by convincing themselves its worth more.
X2!! I agree 100%. I think it's this way with a lot of things. If it doesn't have the right name on it how can it be any good? Sold my seldom used Honda before it got stolen, bought a now seldom used Champion 2000. Can't tell the difference except I had more beer money.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

BarabooBob wrote:

X2!! I agree 100%. I think it's this way with a lot of things. If it doesn't have the right name on it how can it be any good? Sold my seldom used Honda before it got stolen, bought a now seldom used Champion 2000. Can't tell the difference except I had more beer money.
B.O.

X3!

Sometimes I think the folks who bought the more expensive name brands just want to force on everyone else their miserably bad expensive purchase in order to justify their over priced purchase as better.

In some respect, there is no "best" one size fits all generator, not everyone camps in the same way nor can afford to layout $2K on a gen which only gets used for one or a couple times a year so in those cases a lower cost (and perhaps slightly louder) gen can fill in the need for this type of budget and camping style.

Yes, I have heard those supposedly quieter gens, they are not quiet, they STILL make a considerable amount of noise, you are only kidding yourselves to think they are worth $2K for everyone.

I myself settled on a much more affordable Chinese import gen since I do not boondock in a CAMPGROUND setting so I am not going to hurt anyone's ears.. Been a worthwhile $200 purchase which has served me well for nearly 15 yrs.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daughter has the Champion 3400 inverter genny with the remote start and it works great. She found it online for $999 with free shipping and not sales tax. I think it's a great brand and see no problem going with them.

I own a Honda EU2000 from 15 years ago. Paid $700 and change from a friend that had a Honda dealership. It's great but would not hesitate to buy a Champion. I've read here that they have good customer support and parts available too.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Champion generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.