Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: SD Automobile Insurance for Nomads?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> SD Automobile Insurance for Nomads?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
mileena

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/16 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

We went through Dougherty in Sioux Falls. We thought we had a suitable full timers policy until we had a claim and found we had insufficient coverage. After a lot of looking at policies Dougherty set us up with a National Interstate policy.

BTW, I have no idea what you mean by a "garaging address." Your new address will be your mail forwarding address. This address issue has been discussed in other threads. It will not impact your insurance policy. But the idea of being "homeless" and nomadic bothers some financial institutions. Even the Federal government sometimes doesn't get it. Social security stated that I had to apply with a "permanent" address and a mail box was not sufficient. I just attached a short note to the application and I never heard anything. The application was processed.

How did SSA know it was a mail forwarder? Whenever I have used private mail carriers like The UPS Store, I write:

123 Main St., #332 (my PMB)
City, State, Zip

I do not write "PMB" or "Box". This is a dead giveaway. Otherwise, banks rebate companies might give you problems.

Also, for "garaging", that is an auto insurance term. They want to know where your car will be kept at night (or "garaged"), to calculate your rate

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/16 01:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Discuss your SD residency (insurance, etc.) with one of the major mail forwarding services.
When I was a SD "resident" I used Americas Mailbox.

Recently, Escapees (Livingston, TX) has begun offering same in SD.

BTW - (and IMO) insurance is/was very INexpensive in SD!
Only about 750K residents in the entire state!

mileena

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a quote and found insurance (Rapid City I believe) was about double the cost in SD than California or Nevada. The cheapest quote was for the high-crime and traffic Bay Area in California!

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileena wrote:

I got a quote and found insurance (Rapid City I believe) was about double the cost in SD than California or Nevada. The cheapest quote was for the high-crime and traffic Bay Area in California!

That's funny. I found that our insurance in SD was about half of what was quoted in CA

doxiemom11

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also used Doughtery Ins in Sioux Falls SD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileena wrote:

I plan to become a nomad in the next few years, and will tow my car behind my RV. SD will become my state of domicile.

When I apply for SD auto insurance, do I just list my mail forwarding address as my garaging address for my car? Does it matter that any claim I make will not be from SD most likely? Will the insurer know? Is there an add-on fee for full-time travelers?

Thanks!

Contact this lady, she has EVERY answer you need. Contact her and report back. We have used her services for 3 years. She was GREAT getting our Domicile set up.

Terri Lund
My Dakota Address
110 E. Center St.
Madison, SD 57042
www.mydakotaaddress.com
Phone: 605-427-5863
Fax: 605-427-9626

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Just Wandering 1

anywhere USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on my dakota address have been useing them about 8yrs. have progressive ins through 1st Madison in Madison. have never had any problems.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dons2346 wrote:

mileena wrote:

That's funny. I found that our insurance in SD was about half of what was quoted in CA

Ditto - about 1/2 the cost as compared to CA.

BTW - The insurance companies you check for quotes do *not* have to be in SD.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> SD Automobile Insurance for Nomads?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS