cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare Tire Carrier Project - Under Chassis mount

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I needed a place to carry my spare tire/wheel. I had it in a storage compartment and it took up too much space. So, I looked underneath my RV and found a suitable location between chassis. I wanted it to sit up as high into chassis as possible (for max ground clearance) so I mounted everything to upper part of C channel chassis. I had to use nuts to space C channel and get it up as high as possible.

I used a TECA Spare Tire Hoist (200# rated). I mounted it to a 2" piece of channel and then mounted channel between/across chassis. I used 2" flat bar across chassis for tire stops. I ran extension crank handle to rear of RV and it worked out perfect as it entered into my rear storage compartment.

Time will tell how well it works and holds up.

I may wrap a bicycle cable and lock around wheel, C channel, and tire stops....for safety...in the event the hoist assembly gives out.

NOTE: I used 3/16" channel; 1/4" flat bar; and grade 8 bolts/lock nuts.

2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
15 REPLIES 15

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has the spare between the rear of the frame. If it didn't then I would go to a U-Pull-It auto parts and rob one from an F250 Ford pickup. I'm not sure about ones from other vehicles.
Regardless, there will be some cobbling to do.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Baja Man, your experience with Auto Club regarding an inner rear dual tire on your RV is EXACTLY the one I had with AAA.

I now have emergency road service with a company that knows how to take of RV issues - and their coverage is uniform throughout the U.S. (and probably throughout Canada, too).

After being with AAA for decades I switched to Coach-Net. CN will cover all of your vehicles in addition to your RV if you go with their Premium plan.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments and replies!

I posted this so that others can perhaps use it as a reference in the event they too want to add this type of carrier. It was pretty simple for a DIYer that is handy and has basic tools.

I've learned quite a bit from others on this forum and want to give back on projects that I complete. Hopefully others find these posts valuable.

I had to call Auto Club in AZ and they stated they do not change INNER wheels/tires on RVs with flats. I explained it was no different than a 3/4 ton dual wheel pick up. They repeated the same statement.

They sent a 50' flatbed 3.5 hrs later and towed me to a tire shop 7 miles away (cost $500!). I think it depends on who answers the phone at AC. I've heard of others who have had their Class C 16" INNER wheels/tires changed when they had a flat. For Class A's perhaps a typical tow truck is not equipped, but a 16" Class C wheel is the same as changing a flat on a 3/4 ton dually pick up.

I also carry a 20 ton low profile bottle jack, 3/4" breaker bar ( both from Harbor Freight), 3/4" extension, 3/4" socket, and a 24" piece of pipe that fits snugly around breaker bar. In the event AC comes out, I have all tools ready....or I can change myself if no AC around.
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

ronfisherman
roam1 wrote:

I also secured a 1x2 tube under the tire secured by threaded rod to the 1x2 above, just to be sure that 22.5 don't get away!

great minds think alike!

Same mount and mechanism holding my 19.5 spare up in back of my Super C. With a 1/2" stud that holds tire up in case lift cable breaks.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
luvztheoutdoorz1 wrote:
...anyone coming out to change it (like AAA) will have the means to change the tire from one wheel to the other...

I'm not positive about that... I'd thought that if I took an Alaska Highway/Alaska trip I'd carry a couple unmounted spares. Now that I've been there a couple times, I think windshield chips are a much more of a hazard than tire damage.

But I digress. For Class C, I think many mobile service providers will expect to "Change" a flat for a mounted spare, not "Mount" another tire. There's also the outside chance you could damage the rim but Lord Willing, not...

I like the idea of mounted spare plus jack, jack stand and a wrench. Then if a service comes and somehow doesn't have the wrench, I do. If somebody in the campground, a ranger, etc. offers to help, I have what's needed to get it done. Failing that, I've changed'em before and I guess I can do it again.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
nice job! I did the same thing with my 22.5 tire on my A
I used 1x2 steel tube over the chassis rails
I used the same crank mechanism
I also secured a 1x2 tube under the tire secured by threaded rod to the 1x2 above, just to be sure that 22.5 don't get away!

great minds think alike!

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you! I hate the space that my spare takes up in the outside storage bin. Just read (a little too late) that there is no reason to put the spare tire on a wheel since anyone coming out to change it (like AAA) will have the means to change the tire from one wheel to the other. Too late for me.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure and include the spare in your annual maintenance. Drop it, lube and exercise the hoist a couple of times, and wash the spare off well to remove accumulated dirt that holds moisture and starts rusting the wheel, and of course, check the pressure.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror.
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Nice install if you have the space. Not much room there though on shorter units. Mounted mine on the roof. Everybody asks me how I will get it down. Gravity is your friend.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Our '03 Itasca had the spare in the back up under and between the frame rails. I fixed it so I could raise and lower one side the cage it was in with a 2 pulley block and tackle.
In the 12 years we used that MH we never had a need for that spare.

Dusty

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Great just what I've been looking for to mount a spare on our class Axis 24.1.
Like you we have plenty of room.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
GOOD Lookin' Job!

Makes me tempted to look again but I don't think Jayco left me a single cubic foot of useful space under there.

I like the idea of the crank-up mount. Some of us have a tray the tire has to be heaved up into or a hinged bracket that requires a lot of lifting at an odd angle.

And, you have your tire valve facing DOWN where you can check the air!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man,

I think your idea of storing the spare tire is ideal for people who have room underneath. It is out of sight and out of the way. And it is closer to the rear axle for better weight distribution, compared to a rear bumper or receiver mounted one. Very nice job done. Maybe you will have inspired others who can, to do the same.

Our old 1983 Toyota Mirage HERE had the same setup. We owned that rig for 24 years and the spare tire storage underneath like you have was never a problem.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Can't imagine traveling without a spare!

We got this, so we still have a receiver:

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/spare_tire/index.html

Got the dealer to pay for it as part of the deal.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v