Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Spare Tire Carrier Project - Under Chassis mount
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Spare Tire Carrier Project - Under Chassis mount

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/16 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I needed a place to carry my spare tire/wheel. I had it in a storage compartment and it took up too much space. So, I looked underneath my RV and found a suitable location between chassis. I wanted it to sit up as high into chassis as possible (for max ground clearance) so I mounted everything to upper part of C channel chassis. I had to use nuts to space C channel and get it up as high as possible.

I used a TECA Spare Tire Hoist (200# rated). I mounted it to a 2" piece of channel and then mounted channel between/across chassis. I used 2" flat bar across chassis for tire stops. I ran extension crank handle to rear of RV and it worked out perfect as it entered into my rear storage compartment.

Time will tell how well it works and holds up.

I may wrap a bicycle cable and lock around wheel, C channel, and tire stops....for safety...in the event the hoist assembly gives out.

NOTE: I used 3/16" channel; 1/4" flat bar; and grade 8 bolts/lock nuts.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2016 Outdoors RV - Timber Ridge 280RKS, Equal-i-zer Hitch 4pt. 14K
2014 Gregor Eagle 17 Center Console (Mercury 60hp 4 stroke)

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/16 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job, I think you are good to go. I had Nexus install a custom {welded}, mount under the rear of my 24' Class C when we were passing through Elkhart. This is where you want your spare. The weight is down low and forward of the rear of the coach. Mounting on the rear bumper is a disaster waiting to happen.... and yes, I know this first hand.

I bought a rear bumper mount and after hitting just about every pothole between Tucson and Maine its finally fractured leaving the spare hanging at a 60 degree angle out from the bumper. Lots of Class C's have such wimpy bumpers they cannot support the weight and you are very likely to lose the entire bumper. [emoticon]

As for the folks that think they don't need a spare.... good luck with that.

[emoticon]

The Logans

West Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/16 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't imagine traveling without a spare!

We got this, so we still have a receiver:

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/spare_tire/index.html

Got the dealer to pay for it as part of the deal.

Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/16 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baja Man,

I think your idea of storing the spare tire is ideal for people who have room underneath. It is out of sight and out of the way. And it is closer to the rear axle for better weight distribution, compared to a rear bumper or receiver mounted one. Very nice job done. Maybe you will have inspired others who can, to do the same.

Our old 1983 Toyota Mirage HERE had the same setup. We owned that rig for 24 years and the spare tire storage underneath like you have was never a problem.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/16 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GOOD Lookin' Job!

Makes me tempted to look again but I don't think Jayco left me a single cubic foot of useful space under there.

I like the idea of the crank-up mount. Some of us have a tray the tire has to be heaved up into or a hinged bracket that requires a lot of lifting at an odd angle.

And, you have your tire valve facing DOWN where you can check the air!

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

scrubjaysnest

Big Bend area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/16 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great just what I've been looking for to mount a spare on our class Axis 24.1.
Like you we have plenty of room.

Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator ">
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/16 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our '03 Itasca had the spare in the back up under and between the frame rails. I fixed it so I could raise and lower one side the cage it was in with a 2 pulley block and tackle.
In the 12 years we used that MH we never had a need for that spare.

Dusty

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/16 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice install if you have the space. Not much room there though on shorter units. Mounted mine on the roof. Everybody asks me how I will get it down. Gravity is your friend.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/16 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure and include the spare in your annual maintenance. Drop it, lube and exercise the hoist a couple of times, and wash the spare off well to remove accumulated dirt that holds moisture and starts rusting the wheel, and of course, check the pressure.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror.

2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.

luvztheoutdoorz1

Lincoln, NE

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/16 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you! I hate the space that my spare takes up in the outside storage bin. Just read (a little too late) that there is no reason to put the spare tire on a wheel since anyone coming out to change it (like AAA) will have the means to change the tire from one wheel to the other. Too late for me.

Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Spare Tire Carrier Project - Under Chassis mount
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS