Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Spare Tire Carrier Project - Under Chassis mount
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Spare Tire Carrier Project - Under Chassis mount

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/16 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice job! I did the same thing with my 22.5 tire on my A
I used 1x2 steel tube over the chassis rails
I used the same crank mechanism
I also secured a 1x2 tube under the tire secured by threaded rod to the 1x2 above, just to be sure that 22.5 don't get away!

great minds think alike!

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/16 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luvztheoutdoorz1 wrote:

...anyone coming out to change it (like AAA) will have the means to change the tire from one wheel to the other...

I'm not positive about that... I'd thought that if I took an Alaska Highway/Alaska trip I'd carry a couple unmounted spares. Now that I've been there a couple times, I think windshield chips are a much more of a hazard than tire damage.

But I digress. For Class C, I think many mobile service providers will expect to "Change" a flat for a mounted spare, not "Mount" another tire. There's also the outside chance you could damage the rim but Lord Willing, not...

I like the idea of mounted spare plus jack, jack stand and a wrench. Then if a service comes and somehow doesn't have the wrench, I do. If somebody in the campground, a ranger, etc. offers to help, I have what's needed to get it done. Failing that, I've changed'em before and I guess I can do it again.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/16 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roam1 wrote:

I also secured a 1x2 tube under the tire secured by threaded rod to the 1x2 above, just to be sure that 22.5 don't get away!

great minds think alike!

Same mount and mechanism holding my 19.5 spare up in back of my Super C. With a 1/2" stud that holds tire up in case lift cable breaks.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/16 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the comments and replies!

I posted this so that others can perhaps use it as a reference in the event they too want to add this type of carrier. It was pretty simple for a DIYer that is handy and has basic tools.

I've learned quite a bit from others on this forum and want to give back on projects that I complete. Hopefully others find these posts valuable.

I had to call Auto Club in AZ and they stated they do not change INNER wheels/tires on RVs with flats. I explained it was no different than a 3/4 ton dual wheel pick up. They repeated the same statement.

They sent a 50' flatbed 3.5 hrs later and towed me to a tire shop 7 miles away (cost $500!). I think it depends on who answers the phone at AC. I've heard of others who have had their Class C 16" INNER wheels/tires changed when they had a flat. For Class A's perhaps a typical tow truck is not equipped, but a 16" Class C wheel is the same as changing a flat on a 3/4 ton dually pick up.

I also carry a 20 ton low profile bottle jack, 3/4" breaker bar ( both from Harbor Freight), 3/4" extension, 3/4" socket, and a 24" piece of pipe that fits snugly around breaker bar. In the event AC comes out, I have all tools ready....or I can change myself if no AC around.

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2016 Outdoors RV - Timber Ridge 280RKS, Equal-i-zer Hitch 4pt. 14K
2014 Gregor Eagle 17 Center Console (Mercury 60hp 4 stroke)

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/16 01:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baja Man, your experience with Auto Club regarding an inner rear dual tire on your RV is EXACTLY the one I had with AAA.

I now have emergency road service with a company that knows how to take of RV issues - and their coverage is uniform throughout the U.S. (and probably throughout Canada, too).

After being with AAA for decades I switched to Coach-Net. CN will cover all of your vehicles in addition to your RV if you go with their Premium plan.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine has the spare between the rear of the frame. If it didn't then I would go to a U-Pull-It auto parts and rob one from an F250 Ford pickup. I'm not sure about ones from other vehicles.
Regardless, there will be some cobbling to do.

Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Spare Tire Carrier Project - Under Chassis mount
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS