Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: On Call for Work While Camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> On Call for Work While Camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Bob & Ann

North AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/16 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too was tied to the phone for 39 years being in sales management and responsible for many routes, managers and sales people. If my boss was not looking for me a customer was. Every day while camping I had to drive to where there was a signal a minimum of four times seven days a week. Sometimes it would only take a few minutes while other times it could tie up half a day. When I retired five years ago I had a bad case of withdrawal. Since then I have not looked back and enjoy every minute. Have not carried a phone for the past five years and don't plan to get one.

Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/16 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(I am the original poster) I failed to post this at the start. About 7 weeks ago, It was a nice Saturday morning and I was the only one in the camp store patio. The on call has to verify backups have run over night.

[image]

I had to bring a battery pack because the lap top battery is at its end.

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I started this thread two years ago, I am pretty much not on call during off hours due to added staff.

Anyone else have to deal with being on call while camping?

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own my own business and work out of the house. I am always on call. As a Web Site Developer, I rarely meet with my customers in person. Whether we spend the day at the beach or are 1000 miles away camping, I always have my laptop. Verizon Smartphone with Hot Spot works when WiFi is not available. Living on the East Coast, I have yet to find somewhere that Verizon doesn't have good enough service to work.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. Im a real estate broker and you never know when someone is going to call or there even serious. I get coverage so if I get the call far from home someone will be there, but sometimes its hard to relax and yes I do go in. We camp close to home during the busy season so I can get in. Invested in wifi repeater with amp and high gain antenna as well as Wilson cellular amp. When away from home most CG's have internet in the office if I cant get a signal. Sometimes its hard to relax, other times not.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You either get used to it or pay the psychic cost of carrying the dread around with you. Most people get used to it. I remember being on a fly fishing trip with a friend a long time ago. A friend was wading a river when he got a cell phone call. He was able to solve the problem while standing in the river. That was something new.

I was in a bad mule wreck some years ago. It required some power tools to put my femur back together. My doctor was supposed to be on vacation, but he showed up at 0300 for the surgery. I just wrote him and thanked him again after 11 years.

goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Work has supplied me a WiFi hot spot as we know how unreliable campground internet is.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can work from home most days... when away from the office, i generally have three internet sources, home or park wifi, work cell hotspot, and personal phone hotspot. I've never been in a spot where all three were inop.

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. I'm also in the IT business. As long as my hotspot can connect, I haven't had any problems in doing any remote support work. The worst part has been the intrusion on a relaxing vacation! [emoticon]

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting reading....Are any of you Roadside Service Dispatchers working on the fly? [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> On Call for Work While Camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.