Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Creative ideas on ladder rack for Dodge Xplorer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Creative ideas on ladder rack for Dodge Xplorer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wolfinstl

Wichita, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/17 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the same boat with the same question (how I found this thread). Were the side gutters strong enough to hold the weight of a rack? The side rails on my Xplorer look pretty wimpy.

daboognish88

kansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/17 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wolfinstl Here's a link to somebody who has already successfully installed one. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/55938-1978-Dodge-4x4-camper-van
There are only pictures though, and I tried messaging him months ago but he never responded. But at least we know it can be done. Hes got hilt jacks or something tying two of the racks together for some reason. Let me know what you think.

* This post was edited 03/31/17 03:00pm by daboognish88 *

wolfinstl

Wichita, KS

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/17 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I saw the 4x4 that uwsed the rain gutters as well as the guy referenced in the YouTube post who braced by drilling through the roof and placing metal anchors inside.

I'd rather not drill through the roof as that seems a bit extreme and like daboognish88 mentioned in a previous post, i'm concerned about the rain gutter method as i'm not sure of it's stability. I'm wondering if the guy with the 4x4 reinforced it somehow or mounted them stock. He's done a lot of fabrication so he may have reinforced it. I have no idea where Xplorer cut the roof to put the fiberglass on. I can see the rain gutters bottoms are still in place but i'm not sure the sides are there without drilling out the rivets and removing the decorative metal something daboognish88 did in another thread that I read.

I guess my question is directly to daboognish88. Since you pulled the rivets and have seen it with your own eyes. Did you happen to grab a picture or do you remember if the rain gutters are complete? If they are then problem solved and i'll use them.

daboognish88

kansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wolfinstl Sorry for the late reply. I did not get a picture of the gutter rail but it is a part of the van and there is a side to the rail (albeit very short in height). It seems structurally sound but then again I've never installed a roof rack on anything else. The fiberglass starts just above the rail I believe.

If you don't mind posting here when you get yours installed, that would help me and others that might read this thread. I will do the same. Planning on installing mine once the weather warms up.

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might get some ideas here roof racks as far as stealth camping in the city your wood stove will give you away every time. when listening to the police in my area i have heard the police and fire department called out many times because people saw smoke coming from a van parked around here only to find out owner is burning a wood stove. have heard them say they told them to put it out and leave.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Creative ideas on ladder rack for Dodge Xplorer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS