Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Andersen Ultimate Issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen Ultimate Issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Drifter1959

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/16 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Searching_Ut wrote:

Dealer won't deal with the issue, and after approximately 3 weeks Andersen isn't saying anything yet either so being as how I have a long roadtrip planned for the near future, I ended up buying a B&W hitch, which is installed in the truck already, and Reese fifth airborne pin box which should arrive and be installed Monday.

You've made the right choice IMHO.
I'm sure you won't have trouble from the new setup.
Camp On!

Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually 4X4, RAM Puck w/ Demco Hijacker 21K Autoslide, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4.10's, 51 Gal Midship Titan Fuel Tank.
Wagon: 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/16 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Searching_Ut wrote:

I'll ignore the crows foot comment, as you haven't seen my tool box. It's way to heavy, and I can't find anything in it anyway. My truck tool box has hydraulic crimpers, multimeters, an oscilloscope, battery capacity tester, inspection camera, wrenches, sockets, jacks, chains for the truck and trailer, tow straps, hardware etc. etc. etc. I need to downsize, or buy a bigger truck already. Adding more....

You just explained the reason why I gave up on toolboxes several years back. One day I decided to clean it out because I had become so frustrated with the clutter and ended condensing everything I used frequently into a few rugged tool bags that could fit under the back seat. I've never looked back. My current TV has a flat bed with side boxes, which is more than I need.

The only defense I've ever given for the Andersen UH is against those who would question its rigidity in regards to rated capacity. Such critics usually throw out baseless assertions due to observing only a few issues. I think your situation goes to show that, while the product is an excellent design and idea, it may not be compatible with all rigs. I would love to see some follow up from Andersen regarding this and maybe some from LCI as well.

For me, the Andersen has performed flawlessly. I have a Mor-Ryde pin box, which does have a little thicker plate than the standard LCI. You can see the screw marks from the adapter, but they've not made any intentions. With my situation, the Andersen was/is the only option available for me. My bed height is too high to install rails and a standard hitch. The GN ball well isn't big enough for the B & W companion flatbed series to fit into. When I contacted B & W about making a longer shank for the companion, they said "no". I have the Andersen because it was my only option (other than a GN adapter) but it hasn't been a bad decision.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

minnow

Upstate South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/16 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LCI only recommends their Reese Goosebox if using a gooseneck ball. I imagine their response to a bent pin box and Andersen Hitch is "We told you so".

To the OP, are you going to have your pin box inspected to see if it needs replacement ?

Justaguy

Fort Worth

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/16 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anderson's warranty seems pretty good as far as paying damages. It says they will even pay you $500 for the inconvenience of having to file the claim. What has Anderson said about this mess!?

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/16 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use and Andersen Ultimate rail mount. The first 4,300 miles on our 13,175# (scaled) fifth wheel were with the stock Lippert 1621 pin box without any problems at all (other than the rough ride, of course). At 4,300 miles, we replace the Lippert pin box with a Demco Glide Ride. The Demco pin box is obviously built much heavier and the plate the king pin is mounted to is at least 3 time thicker than on the Lippert. With the under-bed frame mount brackets for the mounting rails on the truck, there hasn't been a hint of flexing or damage to the truck. It seems the OP had an unfortunate cascade of circumstances.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/16 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

minnow wrote:

LCI only recommends their Reese Goosebox if using a gooseneck ball. I imagine their response to a bent pin box and Andersen Hitch is "We told you so".

To the OP, are you going to have your pin box inspected to see if it needs replacement ?

The Andersen Ultimate is NOT a gooseneck - common misconception. From an engineering point of view, the forces on the pin box and trailer are the same as those with a conventional fifth wheel hitch. A gooseneck adds a long "lever" in the form of the gooseneck post which puts torsional forces on the pin box and twists it in a circular fashion. The Andersen does not do this.

Rob

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/16 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have recently seen damage to a RAM truck bed with the Andersen Steel version with the B&W TurnoverBall. The hitch base was denting the bed at the back side of the hitch.

I can easily see how the inbox plate can be dented with a heavier load as seen in the pics.

I repeat, the andersen is a QUALITY made product but IMHO they should not be used with heavier RV's.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/16 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how many pages this one will go before the regulars get another Andersen thread closed?

Sorry you had trouble with your pinbox, OP.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

minnow

Upstate South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/16 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

minnow wrote:

The Andersen Ultimate is NOT a gooseneck - common misconception. From an engineering point of view, the forces on the pin box and trailer are the same as those with a conventional fifth wheel hitch. A gooseneck adds a long "lever" in the form of the gooseneck post which puts torsional forces on the pin box and twists it in a circular fashion. The Andersen does not do this.

Rob

Never said it was. I said it attaches to a gooseneck BALL.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/16 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

The Andersen Ultimate is NOT a gooseneck - common misconception.

Rob

If it is not a gooseneck, then it must be a ball and coupler hitch, which like other ball and couplers (and goosenecks) require safety chains in many states.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen Ultimate Issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.