cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell dual pane/thermal pane windows on Arctic Fox?

rob990
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I was talking to a person selling an Arctic Fox on craigslist and they claim it has the cold weather package, but I have some doubt about that, so I asked if it had the thermal pane (dual pane) windows and they were unsure.

Is there a way to visually see the difference on a recent (2013) Arctic Fox TC?

(I'm not local to where it's being sold and unable to go view it myself)
32 REPLIES 32

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
blueglide wrote:
My 2015 AF 1150 came with the 'thermal pane windows' option. They are not dual pane windows like you would find in a residential window installation. There is a removable glass window pane in the dinette slider, the cabover window, and the rear dining area window. I removed mine and haven't used them since I brought the TC home.

I've never seen those on an AF before.

Those sound like "storm windows", not thermal pane windows.

My local dealer (Spokane, WA) has told me multiple times that they order all AF campers with Thermal Pane windows, which are two panes of glass, not a removable glass panel over a regular window.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
milesfound wrote:

AF has typically made two options available, factory-installed, for thermal window performance. One is typical dual-pane or thermal-pane windows and the other is storm windows, the removable interior pane. Which ones are or were offered depend on the model and year. AF has always offered factory options of some kind for that need. As others have noted, some dealers in harsher climates never order units without them and the factory will tell you that about 80% of all units produced include a thermal window option of some kind.

In 2011 the production manager for Northwoods told me that 90% ship with either dual pane or storm. At that time both were "options"
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Take a lighter and hold it up to window,1 flame single pane, 2 flames duel pane and on and on. The reflection will show you how many panes.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I had dual pane windows in the Lance I sold last year and I'm here top tell you that as they age, they become a PITA because they loose their seal and fog inside.

I prefer cut to size Reflectix. Much cheaper and does the same thing.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

milesfound
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
Arctic Fox does not install dual pane windows "ever" unless it is a custom order....Cold weather package means nothing... in the day they asked another 1000 dollars for that option...if they do now as a cold weather package correct me and educate everyone..

AF has typically made two options available, factory-installed, for thermal window performance. One is typical dual-pane or thermal-pane windows and the other is storm windows, the removable interior pane. Which ones are or were offered depend on the model and year. AF has always offered factory options of some kind for that need. As others have noted, some dealers in harsher climates never order units without them and the factory will tell you that about 80% of all units produced include a thermal window option of some kind.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Many good suggestions have been provided - Making a mark on one of the windows and also viewing the flame from a lighter are both good techniques.

Another trick my Lance dealer taught me, is to have someone hold a coin against the window and view it from the other side. You'll easily detect if they're dual pane.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
fpoole wrote:
I have them and if you look at them at an angle, you should be able to see dual panes... or put a mark on one side, out or in and look at an angle.. you should see a little space between them..
Hope that helps..

Ditto.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
Ok here is something for you all...
This is a dual pane window without a question..

This is an Artic Fox 1150 with the dual pane option which we paid almost 1000 dollars extra for having it.

Need to look at mine closer, hope its sealed to keep the moisture/dirt out from between the glass panels.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
No Door that I know of comes with dual panes...you have to do the Mod yourself...so take a look again at what you got...If you know who makes one good to go... let us all know..

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer

Tear the windows out..

Supplies..

make dual panes...

reinstall...

Dual panes in the door ..good to go!!

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here is something for you all...
This is a dual pane window without a question..

This is an Artic Fox 1150 with the dual pane option which we paid almost 1000 dollars extra for having it.

KKELLER14K
Explorer
Explorer
OK I'm going to blow this one up..LOL!! Take a good look at your door and tell me it has dual panes...so even if you have storms or dual panes in the whole rig, the door windows are useless....got something to show you what I did... I made my own.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
blueglide wrote:
Well I stand corrected...my AF 1150 has a single pane of tinted glass...definitely not two panes (dual pane). The confusing part is my windows are configured with the horizontal, sliding windows described in insp1505's reply. I guess I correctly have 'storm windows' although I can't find that option or description listed on the Northwood site. So I'm not sure now if the Northwood option of 'thermal pane windows' are true dual panes or if that is their description of removeable 'storm windows' like I have. I'm curious for those that have the true dual panes if they also came with the removeable storms?!?

True dual/thermal pane windows do not come with the inner removable storm windows. AF did offer both options for a while but now only offer standard or thermal pane windows.

insp1505
Explorer
Explorer
Gary3 wrote:
If its like a Lance then the large escape hatch window in the cabover is a singepane no matter what you order.

Arctic Fox uses a true dual pane on the drivers side escape hatch window as well. It looks so much like the others you can't hardly tell it's an escape hatch. The entire window frame hinges outward and upward for the escape.

blueglide wrote:
Well I stand corrected...my AF 1150 has a single pane of tinted glass...definitely not two panes (dual pane). The confusing part is my windows are configured with the horizontal, sliding windows described in insp1505's reply. I guess I correctly have 'storm windows' although I can't find that option or description listed on the Northwood site. So I'm not sure now if the Northwood option of 'thermal pane windows' are true dual panes or if that is their description of removeable 'storm windows' like I have. I'm curious for those that have the true dual panes if they also came with the removeable storms?!?

Mine only came with the dual pane, nothing is removable.