Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 6.7L CAC hose rupture..beware!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.7L CAC hose rupture..beware!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
mrw8i

Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

All this idling seems to the common denominator, why do you do that?

Idling while hooking up the trailer should not be an odd thing to do. It's only a few minutes. Idling was the key to determining the cause, Ford knows about it.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrw8i wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Idling while hooking up the trailer should not be an odd thing to do. It's only a few minutes. Idling was the key to determining the cause, Ford knows about it.

Agreed. I think you're right that something in the turbo was damaged when this happened. If I owned a Ford I would be replacing that hose/fitting as a preemptive measure.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mrw8i

Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

mrw8i wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Agreed. I think you're right that something in the turbo was damaged when this happened. If I owned a Ford I would be replacing that hose/fitting as a preemptive measure.

I was thinking the same thing, replace it every 2 years.. They make aftermarket aluminum ones, 49 state legal, I live in state #50; where all diesels are checked every 2 years. I could replace the factory one every 2 years, or put an aftermarket one on then for smog put the factory one on. I'm leaning towards the latter since I think there is less chance I'll get stranded with the aftermarket tube. I keep a spare with me now - but if the turbo is damaged that doesn't help.

taken

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrw8i, it's a 10 minute swap. Run the H&S for 2 years and swap it out for each inspection to potentially save your turbo.

Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

mrw8i

Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

taken wrote:

mrw8i, it's a 10 minute swap. Run the H&S for 2 years and swap it out for each inspection to potentially save your turbo.

I see H&S has two versions, an aluminum with two silicone connectors and 3 clamps and now an all silicone pipe with 2 clamps. Which are you using? I'm leaning towards the all silicone for ease of installation.

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/18 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgive my ignorance of all things turbo but is the CAC pipe the same as an intercooler pipe? I see what appears to be the H&S silcone pipe upgrade on Amazon and it looks like the OEM part referenced earlier.

Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/18 11:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave5143 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance of all things turbo but is the CAC pipe the same as an intercooler pipe? I see what appears to be the H&S silcone pipe upgrade on Amazon and it looks like the OEM part referenced earlier.

It's the cold side intercooler pipe - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14923........opped-the-hot-side-intercooler-tube.html

Thread says hot side as the title but if you read in a few posts it is corrected.

Coincidentally, I replaced mine yesterday with a Rudy's version aftermarket pipe I bought a year ago but never go around to replacing it until yesterday. Fairly easy replacement and all the info you need is in the FTE thread.

I love me some land yachting

taken

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/18 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrw8i wrote:

taken wrote:

I see H&S has two versions, an aluminum with two silicone connectors and 3 clamps and now an all silicone pipe with 2 clamps. Which are you using? I'm leaning towards the all silicone for ease of installation.

For a while there was only the single one piece silicone kit for the 17+ and the 11-16 needed the old style kit. It would appear that they now have the 17+ style for the 11-16 too so yes, I would recommend going that route. It's even easier to install and doesn't appear to require the PS res relocate bracket like the older style kit did.

* This post was edited 08/27/18 02:55pm by taken *

taken

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/18 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave5143 wrote:

As RedRocket said, it is indeed the cold side intercooler tube. There have been a few threads about this issue on FTE. I think mine might have been the first.

Cold Side Tube Thread

Mishimoto, H&S, Rudy's, and AFE all make replacement tubes. On the 11-16 trucks, the difference between brands is some need the PS res spaced over and some don't require that. (I see H&S now offers two styles for this gen.) Either way, it's an easy install. I'm not sure if all 4 brands make them for the 17+ trucks yet but that one is an even easier install. Ford actually redesigned the pipe on the 17+ trucks but let the plastic collar that slips over the intake inlet untouched so the potential for blowing them on a 17+ is the same as the previous gen...

* This post was last edited 08/27/18 02:56pm by taken *   View edit history

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/18 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar occurrence years ago, driving a Dodge Ram 3500 CTD, towing a 32 foot fiver, on I-15 along the Virgin River where the freeway cuts through a corner of Arizona. The flex boot on the bottom of the intercooler slipped out of the clamp and blew off. I put it back (nothing was torn or broken), tightened the clamp, and a couple hundred miles later it happened again.
After the third time, I took the clamp, straightened it out on a block of wood, and dimpled it with a center punch so the inside surface looked sorta like a cheese grater. After that, it never slipped again.
Then, a couple years ago, I bought a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, equipped with a boost gauge. It never showed more than 10 PSI. I thought the gauge was bad, because the engine ran just fine. One day, while checking something else, I found that the same clamp I had trouble with on the '94 was loose, but the connector hadn't blown off. I reinstalled and tightened the clamp, and the boost gauge showed normal pressure. In fact, it showed over pressure. Some previous owner had disconnected the waste gate actuator feed hose, and plugged the port!
As much as I like to pick on Fords, when it comes to boost pipes they aren't the only ones with problems!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.7L CAC hose rupture..beware!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS