cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake light comes on on tow vehicle towing camper ???

vicmitch
Explorer
Explorer
After about 30 to 50 miles down the road towing camper, brake light comes on on our 2012 Dodge Durango . I suspect it is because the trailer brakes aren't being engaged well nuf by the brake controller. Is it possible for the Durango brake computer to pick up the extra load on the brakes and turn on the light ? If I play with the brake pedal and get the trailer brakes to engage, the light seems to stay off.
I definitely want to try another tow vehicle brake controller, what is the best performing brake controller now on the market? I hear about something called the Prodigy.
12 REPLIES 12

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
vicmitch wrote:
Should have gotten back sooner.

On-line mechanic suggested error code should be readable while keeping the vehicle running, sure enuf, was able to get to the dealer with the light on, left it running outside service door, mechanic read out the error code Wifi on his computer, turned out to be code turned on by by a brake system part malfunctioning, the fix was covered by a tech bulletin, end of problem!!

Cool, glad you got it solved.

vicmitch
Explorer
Explorer
Problem was the master brake control module that turned up as a tech bulletin that our dealer fixed no charge!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fantastic, everybody loves a story with a happy ending!! Glad you got it fixed!!

vicmitch
Explorer
Explorer
Should have gotten back sooner.

On-line mechanic suggested error code should be readable while keeping the vehicle running, sure enuf, was able to get to the dealer with the light on, left it running outside service door, mechanic read out the error code Wifi on his computer, turned out to be code turned on by by a brake system part malfunctioning, the fix was covered by a tech bulletin, end of problem!!

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you didn't bump the parking break?
Is it still doing it or did it stop when you disconnected the trailer?

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
how about this... with your trailer attached, your vehicle is on a different level... probably slightly "back sagged" that plus "almost low" fluid is such that the light is coming on but not during normal "untowing" use. Just a guess at a scenario.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on brake fluid level. Make sure it is right at the maximum.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
start with the fluid level ,my kids new van had the brake light coming on ,googled it,said the fluid was a tad low,added fluid and problem gone. these newer cars ain,t nothing like the old days.

vicmitch
Explorer
Explorer
I had the dealer checkout the Durango brake system, found nothing wrong, no brake light from the start with ihe vehicle running by itself

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are talking about the light on the dash that comes on. Check the brake fluid level as if it is low when you corner or stop, the light can come on. Also emergency brake, if it is not completely off can trigger light. Lastly if the ABS brake system is not working right it can trigger light too.
Dr Quick

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The brake light wont come on because the turck doesn't think the trailer brakes are good enough.
Brake light comes on if there's an issue with low pressure in the system, if there's a computer or a few other obscure reasons.
I would check the brake fluid level first. After that I would make sure nothing is leaking, especially at the wheels.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
try replacing the brake light switch in the truck.. it's like 12 dollars and 2 minutes to replace.

Yes, Prodigy makes several units.. I like the P3.