cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Camping Part Is Great...Winterizing Though.......

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
....Is just another Fall job to do!

Just started this morning.....amazing how much food and drink accumulates over a season.......double condiments in the house, now.

I removed my Kuerig coffee maker rather than take it apart to drain the tank.

More to come.
58 REPLIES 58

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
What she doesn't know is that i just clean it up and don't tell her! ha!
LOL!

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
MNGeeks61 wrote:
Necro'd! lol

For mothballs, I agree, I don't use them in our park model, I prefer the peppermint oil. Wife can't stand the mouse turds or the mouse urine smell. she then proceeds to wipe everything in the place with disinfectant.

My sister in law always complains about the mice droppings and evidence in their camper every spring. My wife reply's with "We never have any issues in ours". What she doesn't know is that i just clean it up and don't tell her! ha!

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me what people can find to complain about...

There is a "complaint" on this thread???

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Likewise here in northwest Oregon, very few below freezing episodes lasting more than a few days. I never winterize my travel trailer. I just turn on it's furnace on the lowest setting--50 degrees. Probably used one 20 LB tank of propane the entire winter.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I feel so bad for you up north, and northeast as we never needed to fully winterize here in the PNW non perishable food remained as did clothing, blew the lines if was going to freeze. Might have to do once a season or four or five depending on how many times we went out over the winter.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
It never ceases to amaze me what people can find to complain about...

Of course, when I was in the military the generally accepted phrase was "If the troops aren't complaining something is wrong"...

Try "camping" military style... It's an "attitude adjuster"...

DoneItAll
Explorer
Explorer
We solved the dilemma by camping year round. Pump in the pink stuff, keep a small heater running...decide to go out for a weekend, carry bottled water, use campground bathhouse, maybe flush and use the on-board showers. Rarely get below zero here. Can't stop camping just because it's chilly. That's what campfires are for.:)
John & Harriet on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab
2017 Lance 2375 Travel Trailer

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
The last step of my winterizing routine is to call my insurance company and cancell the collision coverage on the trailer. I keep the comprehensive coverage though which covers fire, theft, storm damage etc. I figure if it's not being towed it's not going to be in a collision. This saves me over $100 in premium.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1nobby wrote:
Amazing how one looks at things differently under different circumstances.

Hand soap, dish soap, lysol bathroom cleaner, bleach, distilled water all things normally taken for granted....but all will FREEZE and potentially cause a mess in a stored RV.

And that's why I'm storing my rig in a mine, constant 65 degrees. Well worth the $87/month.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
I learned about the city water connection last week, needing some pressure released first (I didn't and now have to repair the check valve).

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Necro'd! lol

For mothballs, I agree, I don't use them in our park model, I prefer the peppermint oil. Wife can't stand the mouse turds or the mouse urine smell. she then proceeds to wipe everything in the place with disinfectant.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Please keep careful track of where you put all the mothballs!

Personally I would never use them. Lots of other options work better.

It takes an entire summer to get rid of that smell. I'd rather replace things mice chewed than camp with that smell.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Camped for the last time last week....came home Friday.

Today, Sunday....I winterized the PortaNobby for storage.

I still can't get over how much food and condiments I accumulate over a season.

I slept in the trailer 32 nights this year...best year ever, for me.

After dropping off the trailer for storage on my way to work tonight....I have this feeling that I have forgotten to do something.

I guess I'll find out in the spring, eh?

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Gee ,sorry. Was just answering your post about $20 for anti freeze (2.50 /gal on sale)and Kookafornis question . Plus the threaded plug in your city water intake is my fix for a leaky check valve.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper