Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Too Many Choices For Newcomer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Too Many Choices For Newcomer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
VOZ

North Carolina

New Member

Joined: 10/30/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/16 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing capacity is at 10k
I'm trying to stay at a 7k or so dry weight TT.
Should keep me on the right path.

We will be going to look at a few more this weekend.

Bodie217

Copper Mountain, CO

New Member

Joined: 07/19/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/16 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VOZ wrote:

Towing capacity is at 10k
I'm trying to stay at a 7k or so dry weight TT.
Should keep me on the right path.

We will be going to look at a few more this weekend.


7k dry advertised will probably be closer to 7500lbs dry, then once you add stuff it'll go up... be safe.

Also, don't get ripped off by the dealer. You should not be paying anything close to advertised or MSRP. There is more room between invoice and MSRP on RV's than cars. Keep this handy http://www.seedealercost.com/recv


2015 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax 5.7L
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS, Hensley SwiftArrow

VOZ

North Carolina

New Member

Joined: 10/30/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/16 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANK YOU BODIE

drsteve

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/11/16 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For pulling a TT, forget the towing capacity number. You could probably pull a 10K boat, or a flat trailer loaded with 10K worth of cement blocks, but a travel trailer presents an enormous amount of frontal area (and thus wind resistance) in comparison, and has a greater percentage of tongue weight as well. With any half ton truck, the limit you will hit first when choosing a travel trailer is the cargo capacity of the truck. The Tundra's capacity is probably somewhere around 1500-1700 pounds. The door sticker will give you the number for your particular truck, and accounts for optional equipment. Does your truck have P rated tires, or LT tires? Transmission cooler? Factory tow package? What is your hitch receiver rated to carry?


2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

VOZ

North Carolina

New Member

Joined: 10/30/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/18 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 years later and I'm back..
a little different now.
I have a Tacoma not a Tundra, towing cap is 6500lbs
Looking at a Keystone Passport 239ML, it has everything I need.
Empty weight is 4140.

Selling my Jeep for this, so It has to be worth it

APT

SE Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2010

View Profile



Posted: 06/14/18 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stick to around 6k dry, which will be 7k loaded for a long weekend with 900-1000 pounds of TW. Pick a floorplan you like and you'll probably find 10 brands offering the a similar one.

Get a WDH with integrated sway control and learn how to adjust it.
Get a proportional brake controller such as Prodigy P2/P3.


A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

afidel

Cleveland

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/14/18 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VOZ wrote:

2 years later and I'm back..
a little different now.
I have a Tacoma not a Tundra, towing cap is 6500lbs
Looking at a Keystone Passport 239ML, it has everything I need.
Empty weight is 4140.

Selling my Jeep for this, so It has to be worth it


Rent a similar sized trailer and do a long weekend\week long trip. You'll get an idea of how your vehicle handles the weight and what things you find important in a trailer.


2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH


VOZ

North Carolina

New Member

Joined: 10/30/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/14/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

VOZ wrote:

2 years later and I'm back..
a little different now.
I have a Tacoma not a Tundra, towing cap is 6500lbs
Looking at a Keystone Passport 239ML, it has everything I need.
Empty weight is 4140.

Selling my Jeep for this, so It has to be worth it


Rent a similar sized trailer and do a long weekend\week long trip. You'll get an idea of how your vehicle handles the weight and what things you find important in a trailer.


too late, I already own it,,,
Rode home just fine, considering I forget to hook up my brake controller ..

SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 06/14/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

Stick to around 6k dry, which will be 7k loaded for a long weekend with 900-1000 pounds of TW.


WAY too much for a Tacoma ... geez, I tow a 19' trailer that averages ~ 4800 lbs loaded & ready to camp with an average gross tongue weight of ~ 625 lbs and I'm pretty well out of payload capacity with my 1/2 ton Silverado, allowing for a couple hundreds pounds in the truck and only 2 of us as passengers!

[image]

[image]


2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4


SoundGuy

S Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2015

View Profile



Posted: 06/14/18 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VOZ wrote:

too late, I already own it,,,
Rode home just fine, considering I forget to hook up my brake controller ..


The true test is once the trailer is fully loaded & ready to camp with everyone in the truck, along with any cargo you may carry in the back of the truck. Congrats and good luck with it. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Too Many Choices For Newcomer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS