Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can't fly out while you have a vehicle in Mexico?? True?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Can't fly out while you have a vehicle in Mexico?? True?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
tony lee

Dallas TX to AK via Niagara Falls and Dempster Hwy

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/16 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is good to learn about the official position because this gives us the worst (or best) case scenario so we can make an informed choice. Far too much of the advice resulting from the sort of question asked at the beginning is "I did it, so it must be OK" when even the poorest student of basic logic knows full well that all it takes it ONE who tried and failed, to prove the theory. That one person was clearly identified in the referenced material right at the beginning and nothing has changed. The correct advice given by several posters here, including the last three Mexico "experts", has merely strengthened the logical argument.

Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/16 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of people taking risks. Remember the boat and yachts issue a few years back? Nobody thought they would ever check and one day they did and they had all the information.

Don't underestimate the use of systems in Mexico. You do it and you put yourself at risk.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/16 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new visa is not an issue as those are issued to everyone on the plane. I do not believe they type in info when you go through arrivals or just scan yoru passport. I doubt they woudl crosss refernce with an earlier issued one.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/16 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving is the easy part, as stated they picked all of the visa permits to prosses later, on the return trip they may be flaged and problems start or they may just give them a new visa, we will see.

navegator

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/16 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob-kir wrote:

A couple of RV friends flew out of Puerto Vallarta to Canada for Christmas on West Jet today without any problems. They called West Jet before to inquire if they provide any passport information to Mexican Aduana and they replied that they only do for U.S. bound planes. They turned in their visas as they boarded and the West Jet employee just put them in a stack.

That was the exact same situation, airline & location where my wife had a hassle. I had to take a cab back to tachos and get the TIP to show they were only in my name, before they would let her board, she only just made the flight in time. It depends on how sharp the customs guy is, if he notices you came in by land. It is definetely illegal to leave a 180 day permitted vehicle behind, although most get away with it.

bob-kir

Kalamazoo MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/16 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of RV friends flew out of Puerto Vallarta to Canada for Christmas on West Jet today without any problems. They called West Jet before to inquire if they provide any passport information to Mexican Aduana and they replied that they only do for U.S. bound planes. They turned in their visas as they boarded and the West Jet employee just put them in a stack.

bob-kir

Kalamazoo MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/16 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a number of RV friends flying home for Christmas from Puerto Vallarta that have been doing it for years. Any recent news about people having problems at the airport?

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/16 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The facts as they are today, not in years past.

When you enter Mexico you go to immigration and you are issued a tourist visa for 180 day stay, that document has a number and it is registered in a computer memory bank and you can now travel all over Mexico.

Then you move over to the Banjersito counter and you present the vehicle documents and the Visa, they register the visa number associated and linked with the hologram number for the Temporary Importation Permit for the vehicles whether it be a 10 year permit for the RV and/or a 180 day importation permit for the tow vehicle or toad, or car.

Registered in Banjersito's computer memory bank is your name with the immigration number and the Temporary Importation Permits numbers, nothing is written on the documents that you have linking them together.

What I do not know is if the airline computers have a link to the Banjersito computer, since I have not flown out of Mexico since 2005 and at that time the whole system was total chaos after 9/11.

Vehicles with a 10 year permit you can leave and come as you wish, a completely different set of laws apply to vehicles linked to tourist visas, they are temporarily imported and the owner with the 180 day visa has to remove the vehicle that was issued the 180 day permit linked to the visa with him/her upon exiting Mexico that is the law.

Need to go out of Mexico then arrange with Customs to have the vehicle in impound until you get back, you can loose the vehicles both the 10 year and the 180 day and/or be jailed and banned from coming back, Mexico does have laws and Mexican jails are not a nice place for a forced vacation.

navegator

tepetapan

catemaco,veracruz mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/16 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knowingly breaking the rules or twisting the rules in your favor is a risk that some people take as a joke. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. If having your vehicle impounded is worth the risk and lawyers fees and fines, go for it. Just don't post your sob story hoping for other rule following people to read if you get busted . Keep it to yourself.

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/16 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently got Out Visitor Permits at San Luis I had forgotten to bring along the vehicle registration which was parked on the USA side ,so had to walk back cross the border ,get the registration and walk into Mexico once again to get the Hologram.
There is nothing saying how We entered Mexico,on Our Tourist Visa other than by Land is checked, and Our Passports were not used as identification for the Vehicle Permit they only asked for My Drivers licence?
So other than using a Credit Card for all the fees there is nothing that I can see links My Visitor Form to Either of Our Vehicles ., which by the way are in My Name Only!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Can't fly out while you have a vehicle in Mexico?? True?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS