cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you get used to such a small bed?

RayandShawn
Explorer
Explorer
We are not big people, but we are not skinny minnie's either and in our S&B we have a king bed. In the old class a, we had a queen. How in the world are we going to adjust to such a small bed for 3 months? It is only for 3 months, but I love my bed space. Ray (DH) thinks that if I could have a double king I would! LOL. I'm also worried about the wide, separated sections of the sofa when unfolded out like a bed because I have a bad back and can hardly get up most mornings (once I'm up moving around, my back is better). I did buy a foam topper in hopes that it will be enough to kinda cover the sections that seem like canyons.

We were watching an RV show last night and those RV's had the bigger beds and it got us to worrying, he started thinking maybe we should have really considered that sofa bed more, but I said we didn't want the bigger RV's, we wanted the convenience of this class B, we don't have to worry about a tow and we can go way more places and it's 22mpg! I told him that we have to use it for the next couple of years and then we will decide if we want bigger, we have to use this one first.

The class B is new to us (bought used), bought it back in September and unfortunately have not had a chance to use it. So last night I told my husband to turn the heat on in it, we are going to driveway camp to try it out. We could have done that sooner, but, when he took it to the local Ace hardware store to have the propane filled, ugh, well, come to find out, their tanks were low, they over filled it and didn't purge it as they filled it. So, needless to say, the generator wouldn't stay running. Had to take it to the local RV shop and he was so busy he couldn't get to it for a couple of weeks and then it was another 2 weeks when he did get to it, so $600 later, we have it back and waiting to hear from Ace to pay us for that bill!

But now the Silver Bullet is back and ready to head southwest (fingers crossed) the day after Christmas. But, man, that bed.
Ray and Shawn
2015 Winnebago Era 70C
19 REPLIES 19

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I already posted. Who dredged this one up out of the archives?
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,
This sleeping problem is a problem with my wife and me. We started sleeping in a crosswise double bed and I would have to step over my wife in the middle of the night. It didn't work. I then went to the small cot by putting the back seat and the front seat together (we have a Roadtrek 190 Versitile.). Uncomfortable with my feet hanging over. I tried a L. L. Bean air mattress. One night I slipped off it breaking the seat belt. I am now trying to come up with a more sturdy arrangement without cluttering up the RV. What we need is a 190 Popular.

Heapie

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
That small bed is why I own a Roadtrek. My wife always said when I died she was going to get a RT to travel in. She went first and my cleaning lady had just gotten the RT from Louisville, KY, We all live in the same condos and they asked me where I stored mine. They went out for their first weekend and came home after one night. The bed is 5'11" and he is 6'3". I saw the ad in Craiglist and bought it.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My Class B, Xplorer 230XL, has a permanent bed in the back with a rock hard mattress. It is tight for 2, but workable. My girlfriend & I split 10 years ago & I've been solo since & it's good for me. Wish I had the tight problem though, lol. I also have a bad back, surgery in 1990. I first put 2-3" thick eggshell foam on top and that helped. 4 or 5 years ago I added 2" of memory foam on top of the eggshell and that is great, very comfortable. It would be a pain to have to tear it down every morning though.

sprintee
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 Sportsmobile Sprinter 2500 is 22 feet long and has a King size bed.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
BurmaShave wrote:
Brings to mind the funniest scene in any movie, John Candy and Steve Martin waking up in the AM (Movie 'Trains Planes and Automobiles')
"Where's your other hand?"
"Between two pillows"
"Those aren't pillows!"
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

BurmaShave
Explorer
Explorer
Brings to mind the funniest scene in any movie, John Candy and Steve Martin waking up in the AM (Movie 'Trains Planes and Automobiles')

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it depends on where you are in the relationship. When we were first married and in youthful trim, two of us in a twin was nice and cosy, and going to a double we seldom used more than half the bed. About 30 years in, we expanded to queen to have a little more sleep space for larger bodies. When an overseas move put us into a king it was "are you trying to get away from me?" But my sister and her husband totaled over 500 pounds and a king was cozy.

B designs tend to offer "twin" beds that are really more cot size, or shared beds that are larger than queen but not quite king, at the rear of the RV. Anything foldout in other locations is going to be smaller.

Given the compromises of fitting a house into a van, you have to work out what is most important to you. Across all manufacturer's offerings, most of the different compromises are available. You can also go to someone like Sportsmobile and build custom, if you can sort out your own priorities.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
interesting that for some bed size is not the main consideration and they are happy with beds 48 or 50" wide.

not us, bed size was prime.

the largest bestest bed we could find is in our chevy based pleasure way lexor TD, it is 72" wide and 73" long on pass side, 75" long on drivers side.
both of us are tall and we have a dog- so the bed space gets used.
we sleep fore and aft,
we rented a sideways sleeper in ireland and I hated the late night climb over to use the head- it wakes everyone up.

seems for some the size of the bath is prime and for that they sacrifice bed space

Mike

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
The first time we took our Cruiser out, we had the "close to queen" configuration - 72" x 72" platform. We both had trouble getting out of bed to pee during the middle of the night! Since then, we have used the "two small twins" configuration. At home, we sleep in a king water bed. The first night camping, I usually don't sleep very well. After that, I don't seem to have a problem. Our longest stay in it is 4 nights, though.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reminds me of the Fred Eaglesmith song:

Well I know you're used to them little sports jobs with a console in between,
Full-face leather, fancy headrest, a pocket for your cold cream.
I know you're used to staring at the window watching the world go by.
Well it's a different kind of automobile. It's a different kind of ride.
It's got a bench seat baby.
You don't have to sit over there.

Just snuggle in close and enjoy!
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
I have found a great way to make a bed feel big enough... Snuggle. 8-)
john 'I am Canadian'

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
RayandShawn wrote:
They took the generator out and hooked it up to their propane and it ran fine, the regulator had to be replaced, and it caused a problem with the stove. They had to empty the tanks and clean out all the gunk that was in there, reinstall the gen, took else where to refill. They charge $120 an hour, why? because apparently they can.

Your signature says this is a 2015? How the heck could it have accumulated any gunk anywhere?? You got screwed... but then you knew that. I'd say time to find a new RV service place. Live and learn...

I would also recommend that you look at something with twin beds if you find that this doesn't work for you this winter. The Winnebago Travato on the Promaster has a twin floor plan.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, my wife and I would not be able to use a 52 inch wide bed like the 70C has. I'm not that fond of the 60 inch wide one in our Class C, because of the walls on each side.

My RV bed preference is twin beds. That way each person has room to toss and turn, can get up in the night, hang their arm over the edge, whatever.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.