Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Ordered Host Mammoth
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ordered Host Mammoth

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 52  
Prev  |  Next
zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/16 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike/kellie wrote:

Nice! Did you work with a local dealer of direct?

I went thru a dealer. He is 10 hours away so he's not local. They were the closest to me though.

Tiffin Zephyr(sold)
Dodge Caliber toad(sold)
Artic Fox 1150 slide(sold)
2011 DRW 3500 Crewcab Longhorn( sold)
2016 RAM Laramie Limited DRW crew cab(sold)
Sabre 5th wheel 33L(sold)
2017 Host mammoth
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2018 RAM 5500 CM bed

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/16 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

any idea when you should expect to be able to pick it up?

I was told it would be off the production line on 1/19/17. Then about 5 or 6 days for shipping.

So end of Jan I hope.

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/16 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I weighed my truck the other day. Went to the Fly J and filled up fuel and DEF. I had the TL frame mounts on and my fast guns in the back seat. With wife and I in the truck we were 9300. About 500 more than I thought. I don't think me going on a diet is going to help much. I will be over my GVW by about 1k.
I will be under my axle and tire ratings. I will of course be weighing it when we pick it up. I'm interested to see how close the wight is to the 4276lbs sticker they are putting on it. Of course that is a dry, no batteries weight. Time will tell.

finsruskw

Earlville, IA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/16 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW!!
You are heavy. My 2015 Ram 3500 dually is at 8680 empty, full of fuel w/me on board & ready to load the TC.
You have bigger fuel capacity??

KhakiCUmmins

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/17 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zb39 wrote:

A couple weeks ago I phoned in an order. (After a few weeks go negotiating) My wife and I have been in a few of them. This will be out 3rd TC and our 8th RV. 4 MH 24, 34, 40 and 45 ft. 2 other TC and a 5th wheel.

We always have a MH and a TC at the same time. Now it is a 5th wheel and TC. They get used for diff things.

Didn't get a lot of options. I feel I can do a better job with the batts, inverter, and the TV's.

Ordered, double couch, leather or what passes for leather on both.
3 slides are now standard, no choice, thats what I was told.
micro/convection
sealed burner top
upgraded escape hatch
9k btu AC
gas electric hot water
swing out brackets, they should be standard.
power awning.

It is prob diff from what most people would order but we have ben camping traveling for a long time. I will add 4 or 6 6v batts and a 3k inverter. I also have a pair of honda 2 k gen.
I will only carry 1. I don;t think they have started the build. I was told it would be in around the end of Jan. Looking forward to it.

I have a newby question. I'm looking to get into a TC and I keep seeing that everyone is using 6V batteries. Why do they use 6V batteries in a camper instead of 12V batteries?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/17 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KhakiCUmmins wrote:

I have a newby question. I'm looking to get into a TC and I keep seeing that everyone is using 6V batteries. Why do they use 6V batteries in a camper instead of 12V batteries?

Feel free to start a thread if needed. Basically, most people feel the 6V batteries last longer on a charge and also have more capacity. The downside is if you have issues with one battery, you are pretty much done.

If you search you'll probably find lots of discussions on why to use 6V or not.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/17 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zb39 wrote:

I weighed my truck the other day. Went to the Fly J and filled up fuel and DEF. I had the TL frame mounts on and my fast guns in the back seat. With wife and I in the truck we were 9300. About 500 more than I thought. I don't think me going on a diet is going to help much. I will be over my GVW by about 1k.
I will be under my axle and tire ratings. I will of course be weighing it when we pick it up. I'm interested to see how close the wight is to the 4276lbs sticker they are putting on it. Of course that is a dry, no batteries weight. Time will tell.

Is that with the tailgate on, or removed?

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. . ." -Mark Twain

finsruskw

Earlville, IA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/17 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found that the torklift super hitch, lower SL's, tiedowns and fast guns just about equaled the weight of the t/gate. So the weight there is near a wash.

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/17 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately that was with the tail gate off. Thats why the fast guns were in the cab with me. Also my heavy duty rubber bed mat was in also. I already know I will probably be over 14k when loaded. It's just a matter of how much. Will it be 1400 lbs or 500 lbs. I will be weighing it a few times when I get it and I will post all the weights. Also remember my empty weight was with full fuel and def and all the tie downs etc.
Wife and I etc.

I use 6 volt batts because I have used them before. My first 2 coaches used 12 volt batts. After that I always
had 6 volt and they lasted longer. I think it has something to do with heaver plates in the 6 volt vs 12 volt batts. Either way I like the 6 volt ones. I probably could get away with using 4 but i like 6 better. It will be wired up so I can run the entire camper off the inverter. It does have an auto transfer switch. So if I'm plugged in to shore or gen set it just passes thru. I would not attempt to run the AC or the fireplace off the batteries for very long at all. Even with the truck ideling I think it would be a bad idea. I have dual 440 amp alternaters on the truck but still wouldn't let it go for long. Easier to just fire up the Honda 2k.

finsruskw

Earlville, IA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/17 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be sure to weigh it the same way w/the TC on board to get an exact weight of the TC itself.
How big will the fresh water tank be in th Host?
running w/that empty would be about the quickest and easiest way to lower the gross weight of the loaded unit for travel purposes, provided of course that there is fresh water available at your destination.
Curious as to the COG on that Host and where that will wind up in relation to the bed on your truck.
By all means, pleas keep us posted and good luck!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 52  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ordered Host Mammoth
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS