cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Time RV sites near Watertown NY

Steven16
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, I am being stationed at Fort Drum NY near Watertown. I am looking for any full time sites available in the area. Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry I missed this thread almost a year ago, but having lived in Watertown, a place that Regularly gets to 20-25 below zero, and as said snow measured in Feet, sometimes two+ feet at a time, I can say that while I don't know how the OP made out, I will fess up & say (crudely) that he has a bigger set than I do, because I would never consider what he suggested.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
All I will say is you are totally Brave! Watertown right off the St. Lawrence Seaway! I thought Plattsburgh had horrendous Winters, but Not over their in the snowbelt! Your going to have a tough time keeping that heavy snow off your roof unless it is at a 35 degree angle or more!

liltreylynn
Explorer
Explorer
Were you ever able to find a location, we are getting ready to PCS there and was trying to get ahead on places to look into. Also how was your first winter there? We have been stationed there twice before however this will be our first in a RV.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Well if it's your only option then we make it work ๐Ÿ™‚ there's a ton of you tube videos on cold climate bring. I've watched some. Skirting is a necessity. Keep in mind of various methods of heat. Some of the propane heaters created ton of moisture. Bubble wrap over inside of windows seemed to be a good insulator. Put an ad on craigslist also seeking a spot.

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure, but maybe a farmer with a big barn would consider having you stay in the RV inside the barn for a fee? I know that some grape farmers let rv's stay in their yards during the summer????
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

Steven16
Explorer
Explorer
I am a little concerned about the snow and all, however this is really my only option at this point

SASS59276
Explorer
Explorer
The only Year around campground I can find is Tuggers Grill Bar & Campground (http://www.tuggersny.com/campground/)I have never stayed there. Most everything in that area is closed by Oct 15th. Winters are pretty brutal on the Tug Hill Plateau. Snow is measured in feet not inches.

Steven16
Explorer
Explorer
When I was stationed in Colorado I was able to heat my trailer fairly well. After skirting it and using two small convection heaters, and window insulation it wasn't too bad at all. I did use a lot of propane, but it was still cheaper by a ton than getting an apartment.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
As we left New York (last stop was Round Pond MWR at West Point) the third week of October, all the RV parks were turning off the utilities and shutting down for the winter. You might have to find a mobile home park that will accept RVs. You'll also need to take some extra steps to ensure that your RV survives a New York winter. In any case, you'll burn a KC-46 full of propane!

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't it be cold in the winter to heat a RV?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000