Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Tires

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I am new here, and I am not sure if I am posting my question in the proper area, So please forgive my ignorance.

I have a 2006 Starcraft Travelstar 18SD. It is a hybrid toy hauler, with an open toy deck on the front. Tongue to rear bumper, the trailer is approximately 29' long, and is equipped with tandem 3500# axles. Tongue weight is 494#, dry weight is 3860#, loaded weight is 4381#, and gross weight is 7100#.

Currently, I am still running the stock tires, which are 235/75/15C Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers. (yes, mud terrain tires) The tires are in need of replacement.

So here is my question.....

As far as the stock tire size is concerned, selection is fairly limited, for what I would consider a quality brand tire.

First Option : I have found some Goodyear Wrangler Radial tires in the aforementioned size. They are rated at 2028# each, at 35 PSI.

Second Option : I change to a 225/75/15 trailer tire, with a load rating of C or D. My concern with these is speed rating. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to run down the road at unsafe speeds. But the speed rating on trailer tires spooks me a little.

Third Option : An educated suggestion from one of you fine forum members.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
19 REPLIES 19

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
New Maxxis tires were installed last Friday, (6/9/17) and we just returned from our first camping trip of the year. (320 miles total) The tires worked flawlessly, and the trailer pulled quietly, and straight as an arrow. Thanks again for all of the replies to this thread. I would have never discovered these tires were it not for some shared knowledge from TexasChaps.

Jeff

Y-Guy
Thanks for updating the thread Jeff!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a set of Maxxis UE168n Bravo tires, like the ones in the link above. They should be here next week. I will let you know how they work out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Jeff

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link, TexasChaps. Those look great, and the price is very good.

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis UE168n bravo commercial truck tire.

load range D 8 ply
been using these for a long time.

https://simpletire.com/maxxis-lt235-75r15-tl16001200-tires

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect, Sir. Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
wrangler ht
Scroll down towards the bottom of thew page and click on "full specs".

Another LT235/75-15 C load range is the Cooper Discoverer HT-3 that Cooper has recommended for use on a trailer and commercial vehicles.
cooper ht 3

and a Firestone Transforce LT235/75-15 C at 1985 lbs capacity..
transforce HT
The 16" LT E Transforce is one of our popular tires with trailer owners with heavier trailers on 5k-6k axles.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN,

I am having difficulty locating the LT rated Wrangler tires you are speaking of. The only ones I can locate are the ones I wrote of in my previous post. I would love to look at them. Can I bother you for a link?

Coolbreeze01,

Those look like a great option as well. I will do a little research on them.

Thanks again.....

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I would take a look at these in load range E: http://www.carlstargroup.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables/radial-trail-hd
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jwstrout wrote:

Should I worry about the 35 PSI maximum pressure and the 105S SL ratings?

Yes.

That's pretty low tire pressure for trailer usage.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
Should I worry about the 35 PSI maximum pressure and the 105S SL ratings?

A 35 psi P tire (passenger tire) doesn't have enough pressure to hold the tire to the wheel on your toy hauler as they side slip around corners or backing. The beads can become unseated.
Another down side of a P tire on trailers is fed regs say the tire capacity has to be derated by dividing capacity by 1.1.....example a P tire with 2375 lbs capacity now has 2159 lbs capacity. P tires work great on single axle and lighter weight tandem axle trailers
I keep P tires on one of my smaller utility trailer with 3500 lb axles but they carry a 51 psi rating.

Those Goodyear LT tires can last 8-10 years/30k-40k miles when stored and maintained properly.
I wouldn't down grade from a LT tire to any brand ST tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I have a lot of research to do. Luckily, camping season in Utah is still a few months away.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest go with a load range of D and always's make sure you have the proper PSI as stated on the tire . Kenda's are a great trailer tire.

https://www.pepboys.com/tires/trailer/225_75_15_trailer_tires/00799
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
After about 5 years, on my previous TT, I replaced the original tires with Carlisles. They were still on the camper when we sold it 3 years later.

This late last Summer we replaced the original tires (almost 3 years old) with Carlisles again. Since then, we've been from Central Indiana to Branson, Mo and then Kansas City, Mo. Another trip from Indiana to South Carolina over Christmas, not to mention, several local week-end trips last Fall.

So far, they are doing just fine. I'm not seeing any signs of tread wear or anything yet. They are the "new" Carlisles. The folks that installed them had to order them for the camper because they did not have any in stock. So I waited. That was OK. They gave me a price, and I agreed. When the tires came in, they told me the price was less than the original quote, because they were the "new" Carlisles"

So far, they have served very well. No complaints, and this IS my second camper installing Carlisles.

My experience has been positive. But then, I didn't have problems with 3 campers and the original tires either, they just aged out.

Reason we got new tires for the last camper, was because one tire had really uneven wear. Never did figure out why, except the tire was a cheaper made tire. I've been watching the Carlisle on that same spot, and after several thousand miles now, no signs of anything. Very happy with mine!