cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need opinion on portable oxygen concentrator

CapeM1
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about purchasing a small, over the shoulder, portable oxygen concentrator. I have it narrowed down between two different brands. 1) Respironics "Simply go Mini-Portable Concentrator". With the double battery it will weigh about 5-6 pounds. The other contender is: 2) Inogen One G4. Looks to be approximately the same weight. I currently have a Sequal Eclipse 5, but this is a much heavier and larger machine. I am looking for something that I can use to easily get into and out of the car or stores that is not as heavy and cumbersome as the Sequal. Thanks for any recommendations. ๐Ÿ™‚
2010 Rockwood 2607
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500, Ext Cab
14 REPLIES 14

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The portable ones seem to be limited to 2 liters per minute.

I ended up with a 5 liters per minute unit that weighs in at 35 lbs. It will run for about 3 hours on my battery bank/inverter.

MOD'S EDIT (7/17/19): This thread has been bumped two days in a row by commercial shills and phony accounts. I've deleted their shill posts and locked the thread so it can't be bumped again. Anyone with a legitimate need for the thread to be reopened can PM me or click Notify Moderator to send me a message.

Sorry for the bogus posts. Hopefully they'll end now.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gdh2
Explorer
Explorer
Did anyone get either the Simply Go Fit or Ingene One G4? These are the 2 units that have been recommended to my wife. The liquid oxygen is not an option for her whether, we've tried it for 4 months. None of the suppliers within 100 miles of us has a G4 for her to try. One has a Simply Go Fit that they are going to try to bring over fr her to try it. She has been tested and can use the pulse flow, we currently have a large continuous flow machine located in the basemnt and the liquid oxygen container in the garage.
With a POC, I'll rig up something so that the air goes into the water bottle to add some humidity. I'll try one with the portable liquid O2 unit first as without some humidity she gets terrible sinus infections. Just for reference, she was a very active healthy woman who was hit by a drunk driver. Injuries incl: every rib broken minimum 2 places each, separated shoulder, vertebrae sheered off her spine - 2 spinal fusions., lungs crushed and ... So pulling a cart is not an option, either is carrying a 5 pound plus portable unit. Her physio and doctors agree that the smaller/lighter the better. She is on 2.5 flow rate on continuous flow and using the porable liquid O2 unit in the car and to go to physio.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Edd505,

Umm what do those numbers mean? Are they good, bad, or ugly?

Edd505 wrote:

13.2 LBS 70%pure @2L 50%pure @3L
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I see some concentrators on Amazon for under $500. Any opinion on these? I'll be needing one for a guest when traveling in Canada and in early March, 2018. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WLPX9PZ/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

13.2 LBS 70%pure @2L 50%pure @3L
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I see some concentrators on Amazon for under $500. Any opinion on these? I'll be needing one for a guest when traveling in Canada and in early March, 2018. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WLPX9PZ/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Regards, Don

Don___Barb_Bogu
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at the Simplygo unit as well Direct Home Medical, has them on sale at $1000.00 off.

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
CapeM1 wrote:
I am thinking about purchasing a small, over the shoulder, portable oxygen concentrator. I have it narrowed down between two different brands. 1) Respironics "Simply go Mini-Portable Concentrator". With the double battery it will weigh about 5-6 pounds. The other contender is: 2) Inogen One G4. Looks to be approximately the same weight. I currently have a Sequal Eclipse 5, but this is a much heavier and larger machine. I am looking for something that I can use to easily get into and out of the car or stores that is not as heavy and cumbersome as the Sequal. Thanks for any recommendations. ๐Ÿ™‚

So did you finally purchase one of these units, and which one did you decide on?

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Everflow Concentrator at home. I would like to get a portable concentrator because I have COPD. I don't really like hauling the Oxygen tanks with me.

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking as a retired nurse, I feel that Resperonics has a good reputation & the other I have never heard of.

Sue_N_Diz
Explorer
Explorer
Diz has used the Inogen One G3 for several years (on 3L) and it has been great, as is their service. We simply plug it into the 12v while on the road.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased the Simplygo for my mother. She has used it for over 3 years with no problems and is very happy with it. I believe the max continuous flow for that unit is 2 liters. When you are out and active you need that continuous flow of oxygen and I wouldn't settle for less. Look into liquid oxygen to see if that might work better for you.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

CapeM1
Explorer
Explorer
rjf7g wrote:
How many L are you on? Will the pulse be ok for you? I researched portable ones for my Mom (pulmonary hypertension/interstitial lung disease/right ventricular heart failure/congestive heart failure) when she was still alive but there were none that could deliver a continuous stream of 6L or more. So, we used tanks on the go and a big concentrator at home.

Right now I am on 2.5 liters. I am thinking about the smaller units due to the weight issues. I do know they only give a pulse dose (not continuous) but I think using it to go to the doctor's office, or out for dinner, would be okay for me at this time; also I would be able to travel by myself much easier. Right now getting the larger concentrator(Eclipse) into my car is an exercise in itself. The unit is 18+ pounds and it has to go into the back seat and then feed the hose up to me in the driver seat. Too much of chance of having issues setting it up. The smaller one can sit right next to me up front. At this point it seems the two units I am comparing are similar but are two different makers. I had a Respironic Bipap machine for 10+ years and was very happy with it. Not sure how their oxygen products were though. Thanks for your help.
2010 Rockwood 2607
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500, Ext Cab

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
How many L are you on? Will the pulse be ok for you? I researched portable ones for my Mom (pulmonary hypertension/interstitial lung disease/right ventricular heart failure/congestive heart failure) when she was still alive but there were none that could deliver a continuous stream of 6L or more. So, we used tanks on the go and a big concentrator at home.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my concentrator was considerably larger but it and my cpap were/are respironics and I have had good luck with them.
bumpy