Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier Nat Park

rjansen518
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip from Minneapolis MN to Glacier Nat Park early
June via Medora ND. Any advice on RV parks or interesting sites? Pulling 24' trailer.
29 REPLIES 29

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
For your needs I would strongly suggest the KOA's but they are expensive - especially the one on the west side. Both are nice parks.
we just got back from our Waterton and Glacier trip. Wow, that is amazing. We stayed four nights in Waterton Springs campground on the way down. Followed that by three nights at St Mary KOA in glacier. Then one night at Waterton townsite campground on the way back.
Our two full days in glacier was just basically an introductory to the park. The first day we travelled the going to the sun road, and stopped often to see sights and do short hikes etc. While doing so we were circling some of the longer hikes we wanted to do on the map. The next day we just went out and focused on the three things we chose to give more attention. So glad we stayed at the east side of Glacier, there is so much to see there.
St. Mary KOA was great. The boys used the pool and playground every day while we prepped supper, we had their pizza delivery to the camper one day. Great pizza with lots of fresh toppings.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest that you travel west on US 2 through MT and ND on your way to the park with a side trip to Theodore Roosevelt NP which is much more interesting than Badlands NP in SD. Another great sidetrip is to visit Fort Union on the ND/MT border at the confluence of the Yellowstone River and the Missouri, lots of history there.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We stayed in Hungry Horse on the west side at the Mountain Meadow RV Park. It remains one of our favorites. We would definitely go back there.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
For your needs I would strongly suggest the KOA's but they are expensive - especially the one on the west side. Both are nice parks.
im wondering if it is best to stay on the west or the east? East is much closer for me, but if we are having to driving daily to the west for things to do then it would be better to stay west.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
WE are planning on going to glacier mid July, about the 17th. How quickly do I need to book my sites, should I already be booking? We are going to be in Waterton July 13-17 and then heading to glacier after. Do the campgrounds in the park have power, and playgrounds? Or doo I need to stay at a KOA to get that? I can live without power, but traveling with a 4 and 6 year old makes having a playground a necessity.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
You write that you are going to Glacier via Medora. Several are suggesting you drop down to the Black Hills. That is a LONG way south and then back if your destination is Glacier.

In September we did both Dakotas. Strongly suggest you stop in Medora for several days if time allows. The North Dakota Badlands (T. Roosevelt NP) at Medora are beautiful and there's a lot of stuff to do and experience: the Medora Musical, N. Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame, etc.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

rjansen518
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. Hope the Sun Road is open June 20.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
NCWriter wrote:
We're also going to Glacier this summer - glad to get all the input folks gave on the campgrounds. We booked the KOA on the east side of the park - one reason was that the Red Bus tour will pick up at right at the campground.

For anyone traveling with dogs East Glacier KOA has a dog walking service available so that while you are out they will come to your RV and feed and walk your pooch. Lets you take the all day Red Bus tour. We were very pleased with this KOA and the dog walking service is why we picked it. The West Side KOA does not offer this service instead they offer to have your pooch picked up by a local kennel and taken off site for the day.

Thank you for the information on both KOA's. Good to know! Just an FYI. KOA's give a 3 days for the price of 2 twice a year. Which is why we stayed at the West Glacier KOA around the end of September, plus, there were very few people. If you are going early in the season for Glacier and staying at the KOA, you might want to ask ahead if they have any special offers.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
We're also going to Glacier this summer - glad to get all the input folks gave on the campgrounds. We booked the KOA on the east side of the park - one reason was that the Red Bus tour will pick up at right at the campground.

For anyone traveling with dogs East Glacier KOA has a dog walking service available so that while you are out they will come to your RV and feed and walk your pooch. Lets you take the all day Red Bus tour. We were very pleased with this KOA and the dog walking service is why we picked it. The West Side KOA does not offer this service instead they offer to have your pooch picked up by a local kennel and taken off site for the day.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
By the way, if the road is not plowed you won't be biking it. ๐Ÿ™‚

It takes several weeks to completely plow and fix the road. It is open to bikes behind the plows. There are periodic gates. As a section is cleared it is opened.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You stated you will be visiting Glacier early June. Unfortunately, the Going-to-the-Sun Road probably won't be open that early. Here's the park's web site with lots of good information on the road and also camping and things to do:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm

By the way, if the road is not plowed you won't be biking it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
dave54 wrote:
If you are in Glacier before the road opens a special opportunity exists. The road is closed to vehicles, but open to nonmotorized use. You can bicycle the Going to the Sun road without dodging cars and breathing diesel exhaust.

Now that sounds like a good thing!

Really, the road is 50 miles long and not a smooth flat road, that would be 100 miles round trip on a rough road!

You don't have to ride the whole thing. Go as far as you want, then turn around. It will be downhill the whole return trip.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
dave54 wrote:
If you are in Glacier before the road opens a special opportunity exists. The road is closed to vehicles, but open to nonmotorized use. You can bicycle the Going to the Sun road without dodging cars and breathing diesel exhaust.

Now that sounds like a good thing!

Really, the road is 50 miles long and not a smooth flat road, that would be 100 miles round trip on a rough road!