cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking camper on sloped driveway

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I just bought a used 2011 Lance 855 non slide and am bringing it home next week. question is my parking area is sloped about 6" side to side in about a 10' width and is also about 6" front to back at about the same distance.
Will I be able to drop the camper and level it without the legs binding? They are electric jacks. Thank you
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)
20 REPLIES 20

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
LOADING/REMOVING CAMPER
Keep children and animals away from the area when
raising or lowering the camper. Avoid putting any part
of your body under the camper during the procedure.
Do not tilt the camper sideways while raising it on the
jacks. The jacks could buckle.
Always raise or lower the camper with the front either
level or higher than the back to avoid weight transfer

and damage to jacks or cargo.
Load and unload camper on firm level ground.
Unequal load on the jacks can cause the slideout
opening to rack.
Use caution when loading and unloading the camper
on a windy day. The amount of wind that is dangerous
depends on your exposure and the weight of the

camper, etc.
ALWAYS KEEP FRONT HIGHER THAN REAR.
LOADING CAMPER ON TO TRUCK
1. Extend each jack no more than 4" at a time,
starting with the front jacks, keeping the camper
as level as possible at all times. Repeat this

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Redhanded73 wrote:
i just need to load it back up

I "assume" you have the 4 corner jacks? If so,go to a camper place and borrow/rent a pair of the universal ones that are on tripods, and you use them in the middle of each side. Between all 6 you would be fine. Otherwise, have 4 other people there, to hold it steady in case it starts to slide. Back in slow and carefully.

Redhanded73
Explorer
Explorer
i just need to load it back up

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
When unloading the camper, be advised that as you pull the truck forward the trailing edge of the bed often makes arc, so have someone monitor the read of the bed as you pull forward…You may have to lower the rear jacks more than you first realize…

3 tons

Redhanded73
Explorer
Explorer
i have the same problem with an 83 lance. I took it off at a storage place and the parking was inclined. I have since gotten a level spot at a different place. Now I have to load it back on my truck, the front of the camper is already higher, so I'm guessing this will make it somewhat easier to load but any suggestions I will greatly appreciate. Thanks everyone in advance.

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. A lot of good info. Thanks again
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

pastorbillv
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a lot of side slope. I just lower it as low to the ground as possible in the side-to-side level position. Front is always higher. When you get it low-to-the ground, it's not going to move around. I always have those square plastic pieces under the feet to spread the load out (I'm on gravel/dirt). And, when bad weather comes, I often just put the truck under it, so I don't have to be concerned at all.

Good luck!
Bill
2004 Bigfoot 29G (Love the garage!)
2017 Northern-Lite 10'2" SE on F-350 (CC, Dually, 4WD, Boss)

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
unloading on a side slope, don't level your truck on blocks. If you unload that way, as soon as your truck comes off the blocks as your pulling forward the bed twists and you might hit side of camper
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
You would not want to use it like that. First off you'll wreck the fridge.

Actually, 4" high in the front is well within the operating limits of the fridge. The operating limits are usually 3* side to side of fridge (usualy back-front of camper) and 6* front to back of fridge (usually side-side of camper). Someone did the calcs and that equates to about 8" difference between the front wheels and back wheels and also about 8" difference between the left wheels and right wheels.

If you look at the tubes in the back of the fridge and think of water flowing through them, you want to be level enough where the water doesn't puddle in any of the lines.

And actually, 4" off really isn't that bad to use the camper. I've had it that far off before for overnight parking lot stays and didn't have any problems rolling off the bed or things sliding off the stove while cooking. My biggest problem was feeling a bit off balance.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
This may be a stupid observation, but the 4" front to back slope recommendation is for STORING the camper. You would not want to use it like that. First off you'll wreck the fridge. Second off you'll slide out of bed at night.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

gregchambers
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 4 degree front to back slope but not much side slope. It is not fun trying to both load and unload as it puts your jacks & feet into a bind and the straps that fasten the rear jacks to the bumper started to bend. I built a set of ramps out of pressure treated wood 9" tall that I drive up onto which has made both unloading (backing front tires onto ramps) and just parking in the driveway so that we can use the camper and run the refrigerator (driving rear wheels onto ramps) so much easier and less stressful. The key is using the truck's 4x4 compound low for controlling the travel speed onto the ramps. Also, when the camper is up in the air and off the truck, make discernible marks with a felt pen on the inner jack legs so you will know that you are at the correct height when you raise the camper to reload it. I would definitely not want a cross slope or I would build a platform to eliminate it.

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get some wood to make some leveling blocks. Front to back isn't as big an issue as side to side. At least try to level the truck side to side. Too far out of level, and the bottom may drag on the wheel wells as you pull out. Front to back you can level the camper up high enough with the jacks. It's so much easier and less mental stress when your truck is level first.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's do able if the jacks aren't sketchy. But not ideal IMO.
Lift it up square to the truck, don't try to plumb it up until it's off the truck and take measurements so you can get the angle right to re load it.
After its off you can plumb it up no problem. And I wouldn't put the jacks on blocks unless absolutely necessary, and make them a large pad so can't slide off or roll the blocks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I've often used ratchet straps from my camper jacks (up high where the mounts are) to the nearest tree, car, post, whatever to steady mine and make sure it doesn't crash. Small effort, huge peace of mind.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.