Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Nascar Follies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Nascar Follies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 223  
Prev  |  Next
TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

For many of us it was all predictable, including some of the drivers. For team owners and for NASCAR, it's THEIR business. Actually, there's only a few racetracks where those Cup cars have a chance of putting on a racing show.

Eldora, Knoxville, Indy Fairgrounds. I haven't been to Springfield or Duquoin, yet.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, we're going to re-invent the wheel. It took 50 years for the evolution of the NASCAR Cup stock car on pavement. And, for the Late Model Dirt stock car to evolve into a very efficient dirt oval racecar.
But, at least NASCAR knows they're in survival mode. I'll be watching to see what they try next.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud, I think they are buying what is left of Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus, animals included!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

Cloud, I think they are buying what is left of Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus, animals included!

LOL [emoticon]

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/21 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw an interview with Marcus Smith about the dirt race and some of the underpinnings needed. He's a very smart guy and knows that what's good for NASCAR isn't necessarily good for their tracks and vice versa. I didn't realize that Bruton was still living at 94 or that he started the Sonic Dealer group and is still on the board.
Watch Humpy on YouTube voice many of the same views. Humpy said NASCAR bulldozed him many a time when Bill France Jr. was running it.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/21 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shades of Clyde Beatty cracking a whip and shooting his .38 Special, with gorgeous blondes on the flying trapeze overhead. And 2 years later watching the the mighty midget race cars on dirt (Evans Oval). THEN, came the P-51 Mustang! There sure was a lot going on, for my bucket list.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/21 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well here we are at 9:46 pm sitting in the RV at Martinsville for the Whelen modified race. They got maybe 3 laps in before the rain hit. I came back to the camper. I heard the jet dryers running, then stopped, then race cars running for maybe 5 minutes. Now nothing.
Wife and I were talking. These spring races in the mountains are crazy. They need to be in California. The weather is too unpredictable in the spring in the Appalachians. Come here in summer or early fall.
We are about to quit hauling from SE Texas to Tennessee and Virginia and do the fall Texas race and Kansas race. I'll load up the Bigfoot cabover and hit some USAC and Outlaw Races mid summer.

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They had a clip on Race Hub that they were testing short tracks with rain tires. Not sure I’d want to sit in the rain for the whole race, but I could watch the circus on TV.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Yes I read that Larson had done some testing at Martinsville. My understanding was NASCAR was looking for a tire that could be used in wet but not raining weather. I think the goal is to get racing after a rain without having to completely dry the track. But I could have completely misunderstood.

* This post was edited 04/09/21 08:01am by TxGearhead *

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well guess what. Less than an hour from green flag and it's raining.
I made a deal with the guy next to us in a Fuzion toy hauler: I'll pull you out of the mud if you'll pull me out.
Since I've been on the internet all day, with the exception of reading a Texas history book, I recall reading somewhere that tarps are being discussed. As well as a roof over Bristol.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 223  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Nascar Follies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.