cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deep Cycle Battery???

richardtc17
Explorer
Explorer
When I recently purchased my TT that included a NAPA Battery - Marine Starting - Universal BCI #24M Battery PART # BAT 8304

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBE8304

I was told it was a deep cycle battery. Given that it is a "starting" battery and it says nothing about being a deep cycle battery I have my doubts.

What are the downsides of this battery?

I know they are not meant to discharge to any great degree. They are starting batteries so they can provide starting power. My guess is that it won't last as long.

The RV dealer is out of state, but I am considering requesting that they set up a way for me to return it to a local NAPA.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Richard
41 REPLIES 41

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
So far I know two types of deep cycle batteries available in the market and as well have good acceptance to the customer as on below.
>> Flooded deep cycle batteries
>> Sealed deep cycle batteries
but I have little confusion within this options as per features!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
I took possession of my 2012 funfinder on Nov 15, 2011. The trailer has a AGM "marine starting battery". It's been charged by the much maligned WFCO converter/charger. The battery is still in there, and still holds a charge.

My WFCO must be the "only" (LOL) good WFCO in existence, as I have seen it charge at over 14V, also it drops to 13.2 to 13.0 after about a day or day and half. 13.6 is it's mid-level. If the battery is not run down a whole lot, it simply starts out it's charge cycle at 13.6. Here I am, 8 years on, I'm happy with that.

As others have said, your discharge strategy needs to be smart. Do some reading on what parasitic draws you may have, and address those if needed.

EDIT: I put one of those little voltminder gadgets in the trailer to keep an eye on battery voltage. It plugs in to the 12 cig lighter power port.

They have improved. The older ones were notorious for poor charge control, but the WFCO in my 2018 Coachmen seems to do what it's supposed to do.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
And one more thing to add to your things to think about is:
1. When someone says "Solar" it can mean different things to different people. When someone says solar can't keep up, to me it means "their solar" can't keep up. There are so many different solar set ups and darned near all of them are junk when it comes to real charging. I am a big fan of solar and not a fan at all of generators(though I do carry one for emergencies). I can say pretty surely that all the factory installed set ups are really a waste of money if you really want to use your furnace at night in 10-30 degree temps then hope to harvest from the sun in the day time. There is a lot of great info out there on how to set up a great solar system that can harvest and charge even on pretty cloudy days(not dark rain cloudy days....)As stated in another post on this thread, there is not a one size fits all. It takes a fair amount of research and thought and if I were you and thinking of solar:
1. Build big, use hefty conductors, like #4 and #2
2. Get an MPPT type controller and install it as close to the battery bank as possible. Not in the cabinet over the bed like the RV manufacturers do.
3. Get panels that have the highest wattage(most important)and smallest foot print(not as important as highest wattage)
4. I wouldn't let a dealer install it unless they have a reputation as solar experts and have a proven track record.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
I took possession of my 2012 funfinder on Nov 15, 2011. The trailer has a AGM "marine starting battery". It's been charged by the much maligned WFCO converter/charger. The battery is still in there, and still holds a charge.

My WFCO must be the "only" (LOL) good WFCO in existence, as I have seen it charge at over 14V, also it drops to 13.2 to 13.0 after about a day or day and half. 13.6 is it's mid-level. If the battery is not run down a whole lot, it simply starts out it's charge cycle at 13.6. Here I am, 8 years on, I'm happy with that.

As others have said, your discharge strategy needs to be smart. Do some reading on what parasitic draws you may have, and address those if needed.

EDIT: I put one of those little voltminder gadgets in the trailer to keep an eye on battery voltage. It plugs in to the 12 cig lighter power port.
Mine is stuck at 13.6. I really don't care about the boost mode that much. But it will not go into float/13.2 ever. In AZ, it boils the water away in the summer. I no longer use it for that.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
full_mosey wrote:
I read here very often that the WFCO charger dries out regular flooded batteries(FLA) which results in exposed plates and permanent damage or destruction.

Is there any situation where the WFCO's 13.6V could cause an AGM to vent and dry out?

I don't see how a WFCO could dry out any battery as it rarely if ever bulk charges at it's claimed 14.4 volt bulk charge voltage :B
This depends on where you live.
In Phoenix AZ, my WFCO will dry out golf cart 6 volt batteries as 13.6 V (where it seems to always be) is too much when the tempertures get over 110 pretty often.
In Ontario...probably not a problem.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
It is settled then. An AGM battery like the DEKA 31 is a drop-in replacement and the worst the WFCO can do is UNDER-charge.

Get a portable regular automotive charger that can do 14.4V and use that to give the DEKA a decent top charge.

I would let the WFCO run as usual, but periodically use the portable.

HTH;
John

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
I read here very often that the WFCO charger dries out regular flooded batteries(FLA) which results in exposed plates and permanent damage or destruction.

Is there any situation where the WFCO's 13.6V could cause an AGM to vent and dry out?

I don't see how a WFCO could dry out any battery as it rarely if ever bulk charges at it's claimed 14.4 volt bulk charge voltage ... the most I've ever seen from mine at the battery terminals is ~ 13.72 volts. Undercharging a depleted battery, AGM or flooded, however will lead to excessive sulfation and ultimately premature death. For those of us who normally camp on electric sites and therefore rarely deep discharge the battery this isn't much of an issue as the battery is as likely to die of old age. My own 9 yr old flooded G27 Interstate is a case in point, has always been maintained by WFCO converters but still holds a full charge just fine and rarely requires watering ... but it also rarely see deep discharge. That said, this past fall I turned my current WFCO off permanently and now use a CTEK portable charger that does do a proper 14.4 volt bulk charge and lo & behold the battery is now performing even better ... after surface charge wears off it holds ~ 12.82 volts unloaded for weeks while sitting on my workbench. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer

HTH;
John

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
From the East Penn AGM Technical Manual ...

... considerable difference in appropriate charge voltages as temperature changes, even between 32F and 90F which many of us would typically camp in. :E

Is AGM temp compensated charging important? ... no doubt in my mind. ๐Ÿ˜‰

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi John,

No way to add liquid to an AGM so if you exceed the gassing voltage it may turn into a too heavy doorstop rather than a battery. Therefore temperature compensation is a good plan.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
Does anyone know why temp comp is important enough to be printed on the label?

AGM batteries are "sealed" so there's no way to replace fluid should it be depleted by overcharging. If it is overcharged, as can easily be the case if temp compensated charging is not used, fluid will vaporize and vent out the one way vents that are provided to prevent the battery from bulging and completely self destructing ... problem is, because the battery is "sealed" there's no way to replace that fluid as there is with a conventional flooded battery and it will prematurely sulfate. Likewise, if the battery is undercharged it will also prematurely sulfate, shortening it's expected lifespan significantly. Temperature compensated charging is the solution, labeling the battery to this effect is to remind owners this is an issue not to be ignored. Each battery manufacturer has their own specific recommendations, such as this East Penn AGM Technical Manual, which would apply to that Duracell AGM being discussed as in reality it's an East Penn / Deka AGM.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know why temp comp is important enough to be printed on the label?

HTH;
John

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rsaylor3 wrote:
So will the converter in the camper properly charge a deep cycle 29 or does it require a separate quality charger?

Depends on the charger, it's characteristics, and whether it's been properly installed, which often isn't the case as trailer manufacturers usually just stick the converter wherever it will fit and at best use 6 gauge cable for the run to the battery regardless of how far it may be located from the converter. Adequate for those who rarely dry camp, a nightmare for those who do dry camp regularly and expect the most out of their deep cycle battery investment. In my own trailer my WFCO 8955 converter which is well known to rarely bulk charge at 14.4 volts is mounted at the far rear of the trailer with ~ 25' of 6 gauge used to get to the battery. It never delivers a 14.4 volt bulk charge so I've permanently turned it off and instead use a portable charger located with feet of the battery to properly charge the battery. This charger doesn't offer temperature compensation but my current flooded battery doesn't require it ... if I were to upgrade to one of these East Penn / Deka / Duracell AGM batteries I'd want to also upgrade the charger to one that does offer temperature compensation. Unfortunately that eliminates most converters as most, with just a couple of exceptions, don't offer TC. Some pundits here on the forum disagree TC charging is necessary but it's clear from the pic I posted above that East Penn doesn't agree, insisting their AGM batteries do require temperature compensated charging. Guess who I believe? ๐Ÿ˜‰