cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Patrol TPMS

Ogordont
Explorer
Explorer
This is a relative new system that uses WIFI vise traditional radio signals. Has anyone used it and what did you think of the system? I intend to install in MH (6 tires) and dinghy (4 tires). Thanks for any info!

Gordon
Gordon and Patrice, Ret. NAVY, aviator. Ret. Atty.
2008 National Pacifica 36', 360 Cummings ISC, Allison, Freightliner
3 slides, 2014 Honda CR-V, Air Force One,
Collect old camping/Mil.stoves.--Infinium Metal Loc.--Rockhound.
Corvallis, Oregon
17 REPLIES 17

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
Cydog15 wrote:
I'd be hard pressed to give up my American made Pressurepro that I've had since 2007. The Chinese knockoffs my friends have all give them fits one way or another but they do brag when they work for awhile haha. I know all of the fleets that use TPMS use Pressurepro as well. Many school district buses have them as well.
As for WiFi, how does that make more sense? My Wifi on the road goes out when a tower is not nearby so that is years away at best if ever.

The subject of this Posting is the Tire Patrol TPMS.

I agree the PressurePro is a very good system. I regret dropping my PressurePro for the TST system.

As for the Tire Patrol TPMS I am sure you will find it is totally manufactured in the USA at a Colorado facility.

I am looking to replace my TST and wanted some real world experience with the Tire Patrol TPMS system.

Doesn't appear to be made in the US like Pressure pro. Can't find it and I do know PP has the patent so would be surprised if it was. When I bought mine years ago, I asked about the Chinese knockoffs and they said they would enforce it if they ever got significant traction and doesn't appear they did.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Cydog15 wrote:
I'd be hard pressed to give up my American made Pressurepro that I've had since 2007. The Chinese knockoffs my friends have all give them fits one way or another but they do brag when they work for awhile haha. I know all of the fleets that use TPMS use Pressurepro as well. Many school district buses have them as well.
As for WiFi, how does that make more sense? My Wifi on the road goes out when a tower is not nearby so that is years away at best if ever.

The subject of this Posting is the Tire Patrol TPMS.

I agree the PressurePro is a very good system. I regret dropping my PressurePro for the TST system.

As for the Tire Patrol TPMS I am sure you will find it is totally manufactured in the USA at a Colorado facility.

I am looking to replace my TST and wanted some real world experience with the Tire Patrol TPMS system.

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
Cydog15 wrote:

WiFi is not dependent on cell towers unless you are using a cell phone to attach to the Internet and then to your WIFi. WiFI can be a closed system with only local attachments between units. WiFi is not the Internet. It is a network using radio waves in ether the 2.4 GHz and/or 5GHz range. This type of system would not lose connection unless you separated the sending units(tire device) from the receiving unit (monitor) beyond their range.
You could have all your devices in your RV and TV connected to a WIFi system and share between them if they are WiFi capable. The TPMS system here uses an encrypted connection so you can only connect to its own devices.

You're right, I thought about that after I posted but thinking how to have constant internet on the road unless sat had me thinking. Cell is not the answer and cable is not either. My sat is good most of the time but no internet.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Cydog15 wrote:

WiFi is not dependent on cell towers unless you are using a cell phone to attach to the Internet and then to your WIFi. WiFI can be a closed system with only local attachments between units. WiFi is not the Internet. It is a network using radio waves in ether the 2.4 GHz and/or 5GHz range. This type of system would not lose connection unless you separated the sending units(tire device) from the receiving unit (monitor) beyond their range.
You could have all your devices in your RV and TV connected to a WIFi system and share between them if they are WiFi capable. The TPMS system here uses an encrypted connection so you can only connect to its own devices.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used the Tire Patrol TPMS?

I had a TST 507 that was not reporting one morning on my last trip. I swapped the sensor with one that I had on a spare tire.

Then both sensors were reporting. But with the 1 hour time before notice of a sensor signal loss I do not have confidence the one that was not reading can be trusted.

I like the specs on the Tire Patrol but some of the reviews I have read are not very promising. Hoping someone has tried the system and can give a report.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TST and after replacing the batteries I have no confidence that I got a good seal.

The o-ring is very fragile and I am concerned it could be damaged on assembly.

With the hermetically sealed sensor a leak which will cause a sensor failure is not likely.

I have caught two tires with nails in them by monitoring the tire pressures. I had time to get off the freeway once as I had notice a tire was in trouble before the pressure dropped to the alarm point.

Thus being able to glace at the monitor for tire pressures is a very big thing for me.

Also when there is an alarm a quick glace tells you what tire is in trouble. If it is on the TV then stopping is high priority. A Trailer tire may not be as high of a priority. The TST system requires waiting for the full pressure reading cycle before you know what tire is in trouble and what the current pressure is.

The Patrol TPMS will give you current pressure in real time on all tires. Thus if it is a slow leak you know you have time to look for a safe place to stop and as happened to me once time to take the next freeway exit.

Ogordont
Explorer
Explorer
The pass thru senders I had previously used replaceable batteries. I replaced them once. You have to order fresh "O" rings and remove 4 little screws to gain access to the battery compartment. Those screws make the ones they use in eyeglasses look BIG. They are tapped into plastic and stripping or cross threading them is a real risk. If you do so or the "O" ring doesn't seat properly you can cause a leak. Good by sender in the first wet weather you drive in! If the Tire Patrol folks make any improvements in the sending software that compatible software is automatically incorporated into the factory sealed replaced units. If you are full timing and on the road all year round then owner battery replacement may be the way to go. On the other hand, if you RV seasonally, factory low battery, total unit replacement could be more attractive. I'm in the latter category. As mention in a prior email the fact that the system is USA made is also a positive factor for me.
Corvallis, Oregon

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds promising, but I don't like the non-user replaceable sensors. What happens when the battery dies while you're out on the road? To me user replaceable is pretty much a must have.

Having all tires showing isn't that big of a deal. I never spend any amount of time looking at the monitor anyway, since taking eyes off the road is rarely a good idea. An audible alert is a necessity, visual is secondary.

Also a loss of signal alert is necessary with a quick response time. What kind of wireless connection is less important to me than consistent/reliable connection.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I just talked to the Tire Patrol people.

First and very important to me their system circuit boards and all are made in the USA.

Second the tire sensors go to a very low transmission rate when the tire is stationary. The gentleman I talked to said you can still get the tire pressures before the trailer or Motor Home is moved.

I asked about the frequency used and it is a WIFI system and has a much longer range than the current systems on the market.

Third the sensors are hermetically sealed. Battery life is expected to be about 2 years. For $10 they will replace the battery and upgrade the sensors postage paid.

Forth I like the monitor that displays all tire pressures all of the time. A quick glance at the monitor gives that priceless feeling things are good.

The system is not on the market yet but will be in a couple months. This is a system I will be following as it looks like the way to go when it is available.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A person may not save any money but may find that the new system addresses some of the issues with the old systems that tend to be ignored by the companies.

Some systems offer excellent performance but don't offer user replaceable batteries. Others have other pluses but suffer from excessive response time when a monitor loses contact with a sensor. Some need a booster if the truck/trailer combination is pretty long, but only offer the booster antenna as an extra cost option.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ogordont
Explorer
Explorer
I had TST pass thru senders on our 30' travel trailer. It is a good product and worked fine. I was not thrilled with the readout monitor which cycled each tire readout separately. It was also not easily read, by me, at a glance while driving down the road. This "new" system is a second iteration. They have apparently been making TPMS transmitters for at least 3 years in conjunction with their toad portable braking system. Their display pad is 7" and displays the numbers on all tires all the time. As far as saving money, I'm not sure I will be not be spending a bit more. I expect to have and use this product for quite awhile and, unless prohibitively more expensive, don't worry about spending a little bit more to get what I want. I haven't made up my mind yet and am looking at several systems
Corvallis, Oregon

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
How much money are you expecting to save on a "new to the market" system over a tried and tested company like TST or Tire tracker? Both of these companies have many satisified customers over years of servicing the RV industry.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Ogordont
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure about other systems but the Tire Patrol factory said that the monitor displays a low battery reading. I will check re disconnect signal being displayed. If transmission stops I would expect a dead battery indication. Their second generation system won't be on the market until sometime in March. Thanks.
Corvallis, Oregon