cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some help!!! (deciding on a rv)

OBX_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so my family and I are taking our first rv trip this summer and we are trying to find an rv to purchase. We thought about renting but the prices we are seeing are in the 5000 plus range and then extra for mileage. Don't laugh but we are doing a 9,000 mile, 35 day tour of the US. Yes we are crazy. I figure if we don't like it we can just come home. Ok so I've looked at what seems like 1000's of rvs in the 88' to 02' range. We know we want a class c with queen or double bed in back and the couch/2 captains chairs up front. something between 26 and 30'. The problem i'm having is figuring out why a 92' with 85,000 miles is 10,000 and a 99' with 43,000 miles is 9,000. A few things I know that are important- good ac, working refrig gas/elec and a good generator and newer tires. What else do I need to look for and how can I tell what brands are higher end than others? Is their a buying guide in the forum? Any help would be much appreciated. JUST TELL ME WHAT TO BUY!!!! LOL...
60 REPLIES 60

SleepyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out for our first big trip in an rv this summer with a $3000.00 rental for the 3 weeks we will be out (plus mileage, generator, etc). Look on rvshare.com or outdoorsy.co. Yes it is a sunk cost but it will be less than picking the wrong rv and dealing with all the issues that need to be dealt with. You can always try negotiating, we got our owner up to 200 miles/day and 8 hours of generator at $1.00 per hour. With all our stays at full hookups the generator shouldn't be an issue.
Sleeping our way across the US

Roger_Kneeland
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,

Beautiful Magna !! Im still hanging on to the PA Vision that I bought new ... maybe someday .

Anyway , did you buy a rear camera system from the "RV Cams " outfit that you provided the link to, if so which one ? I'd like top upgrade ours to color / audio and they seem to have a good selection of systems that use a cable system that would let me avoid running new wiring.

Thanks,

Roger
Roger & Gail
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36B V10
2001 Chevy Tracker 4Dr
G/Retriever "Captain" , Maltese "Annie"
Valparaiso IN

mx727
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
What will you see other than highway at 250 miles per day, every day for 35 days?

No one ever said he was driving every day. Well, one person applied averages, but the OP never said what the travel plan was.

I often drive 6, 7 or 800 miles a day when headed somewhere. So, 12 days of driving and 23 days of sitting and visiting for me. If that doesn't make sense, I have four kids. One in UT, IA, OH and FL. If we made a loop and spent 5 days with each one, we'd probably come real close to doing exactly what the OP is talking about.
2017 Montana 3950BR

OBX_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
Mike thx for the link. Looks like the least expensive is 315$? A little rich for my blood. What about one of the 100$ Saturday night specials from Ebay? I know I know, you get what you pay for. But there's got to be a "best of the cheapies model" And does anyone know a good website for used rv furniture besides craigslist?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Rv cams any questions call and talk to Tim
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

OBX_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
So I put my deposit on a 2004 Winnebago sightseer 30b with the workhorse chassis today.(class A) It's an entry level model but at the price point I can't pass up. I'm super excited about getting it and having my wife put her lady's touch on it. thinking about upgrading the rear view camera system. anyone have any suggestions?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It definitely sounds like you should be purchasing. nothing wrong with an older RV. have it inspected. chances are the place that is inspecting it for you (the place the owner is using) will give you a fair inspection because they are going to want to keep your business also. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase used. take it on the highway for an hour or 2 before your big trip so nothing shows up at the beginning of your trip.

I wouldn't rent when you could buy. at the end of the trip you will not have an RV and will be out all the rental fees minus fuel. if you own, you will still have an RV at the end that you could use over and over!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be scared of all the doom and gloom. This is the first rv I ever had. I knew absolutely nothing about them. I saw this at a gas station near my house and purchased it. We drove it all over for four years without a single issue. When I sold it I had three people fighting over it and I got the exact amount I paid for it.

This is my current rv. I purchased it almost two years ago at 17 years old. So far so good.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Our experience may help your decision. Our second RV was an 8-year-old Georgetown, a 32' Class A with the V-10 motor. It had 12,000 miles on the odometer and 44 hours on the generator. Our first rig was an awful, old 26' Class C - the less said the better.

Having started out with a Class C, we decided to go Class A with our second one. We bought it privately from the original owner from new, who had developed medical issues and could no longer travel. We ran it for four seasons, mainly on 2 to 3 week trips on the west coast. Unfortunately, that period of time was the worst for gas prices, running as high as $4.50 a gallon in the small towns along the coast. Gas cost, at 8 mpg or so was an issue.

When we figured out we were raiding our IRAs to pay for using it, we sold it after 4 seasons, after putting another 6000 miles on it.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Most RVs have to park in the truck area at rest areas; they don't fit in the car spaces. Running the generator usually would not be a big problem. Many states have stay limits at rest areas and discourage staying overnight, but it can be a good way ti catch a few winks or nake and eat supper.

I would suggest trying not to stop for extended periods at rest areas if the truck lot is nearly full out of consideration for truckers who legally have to rest and often may have a hard time finding a place to do that. A few can be rather mean towards RVers, but most I've run across have been entirely decent to me.

OBX_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
Steve that brings up another question about sleeping on the road. There are many days where we will be driving and sleeping in rest areas and wal mart parking lots. Rv's can park with trucks at rest areas right? And can we run our generators?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Truck stops are the way to go on the interstate. Ample clearance at the pumps, acres of concrete mean no worries about parking or turning around, and attached convenience stores and restaurants. Many have dump stations and water available. Not to mention the option of parking for a few hours of rest or overnight.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you're getting a gas motorhome you can use any service station - IF you check it out first before pulling in and getting caught. Most of the big stations have plenty of room. Definitely pick an end pump if the pumps are perpendicular to the building. Also, don't wait until you're about empty before looking for fuel. If you're driving interstates you'll have no problem. In farm/ranch country on secondary roads you'll have no problem - they need good access, too, for their trailers. The only areas you might have problems is in cities at the small stations. There are resources for the best place for RVs, also.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

OBX_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
So it seems that rvs have to stop at truckstops to avoid having to back up right? Does that make for planning gas stops more important?