cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to buy a diesel pusher - How big is too big???

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
So here is the story... We've been RVers since the late '70s. Started in a van conversion, moved up to a small class "c", then up to a 30 foot fifth wheel. We are shifting away from our current camping style - a good deal of which was spent primitive (dry) camping and trail riding in the back country interspersed with long, cross country sight-seeing trips.

We have now decided to go full time this year and pretty much stick to cross country sight seeing. We've spent several months shopping around and paring down the list of coaches we like and have narrowed it down to two. But they are both in the 40 to 45 foot range.

We will probably move around a lot in the new rig, but stay in any given area long enough to really check out all the local sights and offerings. We may stay in one place a couple of days, or maybe a month. Just depends.

We keep hearing rumors that many people regretted moving up into units that big and that begs the question: How big is too big?

We really like the 45 footers but do not want to stay in big, expensive luxury resorts... not our style. And we will have a 4X4 toad that will get us to the places we want to see. I know we won't fit in most state and national parks, but should be able to find a suitable RV parks within a reasonable driving distance... Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here?

Please share your experiences, thoughts, and advice... We only get one chance to do this right... can't afford a mistake. Thanks in advance.
Bill & Nettie.
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

41 REPLIES 41

Deaton
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new coach. As you will notice from my profile, I agree completely with your choice.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I think that bigger is better, but there is limitations as to where you can go with any coach over 40'. It is hard to get into many places even with my 38'coach much less with a 45'. But if i was to go full time, I would have to go with those monstrous motor homes. Right now I still enjoy in the winter months my stick house.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
Just to interject since this subject kind of relates to us, my wife has taken a liking to Class A diesels. She's more the Ritz Carlton type than I am. But I don't have an endless pocketbook. So in looking at the used $130-150k MH's, I see there are Newmar Dutch Stars, a very few Travel Supremes, etc out there, mostly in the 2006 - 2011 vintage. Since we have 3 kids, something in the 40 - 45 ft range would most likely work for us.

My questions are:
1) Is there a significant difference in quality and reliability between brands? 2) Is something that is now 10 years old going to be reliable?
3) How much discount does one usually expect off the asking price on a used MH?
4) What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks.
With 3 kids, you might consider the 2 bath floorplans. Both the Dutch Star and Travel Supreme will serve you well - even back to 2006. Travel Supreme is now Integra for the most part.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Just to interject since this subject kind of relates to us, my wife has taken a liking to Class A diesels. She's more the Ritz Carlton type than I am. But I don't have an endless pocketbook. So in looking at the used $130-150k MH's, I see there are Newmar Dutch Stars, a very few Travel Supremes, etc out there, mostly in the 2006 - 2011 vintage. Since we have 3 kids, something in the 40 - 45 ft range would most likely work for us.

My questions are:
1) Is there a significant difference in quality and reliability between brands? 2) Is something that is now 10 years old going to be reliable?
3) How much discount does one usually expect off the asking price on a used MH?
4) What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, so thatโ€™s why youโ€™re called MileHigh! Youโ€™re on top of things!!! :W

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Yo folks! The OP bought a Newmar a few days ago................

TheLostDutchman wrote:
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their responses... we decided on a 2018 Newmar Dutch Star, 41 Footer, followed by a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit for a toad, and very happy with the choices. We wish you all happy trails and safe travels.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
We spend a lot of time talking about length and interior set ups and that is how it should be. But the other side of the equation is what itโ€™s like getting there?

Weight and wheelbase dictates, for the most part, ride and handling. Then thereโ€™s springs for the gassers and air bags for the diesel pushers etc. And of course nothing rounds out the over the road experience like a tag axle!

Look, Iโ€™ve driven both gassers and diesel pushers that got pushed all over the road by wind and 18 wheelers. Iโ€™ve even been in some that were darn right dangerous to drive over 40 mph in even a moderate wind. This is another area where weight and wheelbase can be your friend. Granted not always but mostly. Some coaches just handle like a lumber wagon!

Nothing calms down the road and holds you in place like a tag axle. You will also pay between $40,000 to $60,000 more for a coach equipped with one.

But hereโ€™s the thing. Depending on what you want to spend especially in a used coach, you can find just what you want by dropping down a few years and still get something terrific.

And do yourself a huge favor and buy your last coach first! Rather than settling to save $20 grand for something youโ€™ll not like and trade in 2 years, whereby losing $20 grand plus. Pay a little more If need be or drop down a year to keep you smilin as youโ€™re drivin!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
TheLostDutchman wrote:

So here is the story... We've been RVers since the late '70s.

Started in a van conversion,

moved up to a small class "c",

then up to a 30 foot fifth wheel.

My story - similar

We are shifting away from our current camping style - a good deal of which was spent primitive (dry) camping and trail riding in the back country interspersed with long, cross country sight-seeing trips.

How did this go? What did you find you Enjoyed - Needed? Would guess this has a good bit to did with the decision on the larger coach? IMHO, get the Coach YOU want not the one I want - this is your dream, so all we can do is share our experiences. Long trips are good in a Diesel - Power and air ride (Having had big trucks in my old life - Contractor/Roadbuilder - I can get down the road without 600+ HP) will get you down the road in comfort, let's you pull a toad that can carry you the last mile in comfort also, so you really don't need to get in that deep, so deep, that you do not fit.(JMHO) We Boondocked/no power in Yellowstone in Madison in late October, and fit.

We have now decided to go full time this year and pretty much stick to cross country sight seeing. We've spent several months shopping around and paring down the list of coaches we like and have narrowed it down to two. But they are both in the 40 to 45 foot range.

Which Two? - IMHO, the biggest thing is the Floor Plan - you've been doing this long enough that I'd guess YOU know what you need/want, so get it. How long do you plan to hang in one area? week? month? months? We have Granddaughter's in MD and Colorado, and have spent a Few Winters in Colorado, Loved It - but I had the coach designed for it/us and honestly if I had my way we would full time, with a commute between Colorado and Maryland.

We will probably move around a lot in the new rig, but stay in any given area long enough to really check out all the local sights and offerings. We may stay in one place a couple of days, or maybe a month. Just depends.

Nice thing about a 40-45' Coach is that they set up just as easily as a 30' Coach. You have to have Room to live if you do this for more than a couple weeks a year.

We keep hearing rumors that many people regretted moving up into units that big and that begs the question: How big is too big?

I'm just guessing you have heard even more about not going Big Enough! Think you know where I stand on size, only thing too big is 46' - not Legal.:-)

We really like the 45 footers but do not want to stay in big, expensive luxury resorts... not our style. And we will have a 4X4 toad that will get us to the places we want to see. I know we won't fit in most state and national parks, but should be able to find a suitable RV parks within a reasonable driving distance... Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here?

Thinking you have pretty much decided - Big Coach that works - Good COMFORTABLE Toad - Best of all worlds - so the biggest thing now is the TOAD.

Please share your experiences, thoughts, and advice... We only get one chance to do this right... can't afford a mistake. Thanks in advance.
Bill & Nettie.

Think I've covered most of this - only thing you did not mention was NEW or USED.

As no one will do what Travel Supreme did, build a Custom Production Coach, you are stuck in the choices others have made - so why not Keep a couple Hundred K in the bank to Enjoy the Places you go - USED - Just a thought.

We were very active 2005-2011 then had to hang around to take care of MIL - Not an issue just required us to put RV things on hold for a while - more Planes as we had less time - working toward getting back on the road now so we can do just what you plan - we will do it in out 05' and are working on a Toad that will go off road and handle 6 (2004-2009 Lexus GX 470) the GX is soft enough for DW but will Push a Jeep up the Mountain (Pushing, to let the Jeep get the scratches ๐Ÿ™‚ ) Had an MDX - great on the Road but a little too soft for the Trails.

So now that you have thought about this a little more Which way are You Leaning?

Will be fun to follow your New Adventures - where do you plan to go? Hard to Beat Colorado, Utah and Arizona - Best of everything. JMHO.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

stickyeye
Explorer
Explorer
Layout is what really matters most. I have a 36' DP but it has three slides making it very roomy. I've been in some shorter units with full wall slides and they felt even roomier. Of course a long unit with many slides can feel like a palace, just depends on your wants/needs.
๐Ÿ™‚

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
TheLostDutchman wrote:
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their responses... we decided on a 2018 Newmar Dutch Star, 41 Footer, followed by a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit for a toad, and very happy with the choices. We wish you all happy trails and safe travels.

Glad you're happy with your choice. We bought a 40' American Tradition, actually closer to 41' back in March '17. We've been to 30 campgrounds and have driven 7000 miles. We prefer state campgrounds and have found it imperative to book state campgrounds well in advance and book sites that will accommodate a 40' rig. In state camp grounds in Michigan and New York we were usually the largest RV and sometimes the only class A.

We found real quick that we could not be intimated by little maneuvering room and small camp sites. If I had to do it again I would probably be happy with a slightly smaller rig. More options is always nice. But this was a one time purchase and we will make do.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We have had several motor homes from 28 to 40 feet. We chose each one by the way we would be using it. Since about 2002 we have had different gas and diesel motor homes that we have full timed in.
My advice to you would be to find one that like and play house in it.....may take some time but look at everything.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm just shy of 42'. Many campgrounds can accommodate the MH with toad attached. Just go with what fits your needs and lifestyle.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bill & Nettie,

You want to know the best length and everyone has given you great information and there's not a single wrong answer among them. Buy the longest coach you can afford, those who will say they bought one too long can be counted on one hand.

If you want to know the PERFECT LENGTH ANSWER it's 40 feet! How do I know that? Simple, that's what I have silly! :C

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice!