Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Looking to buy a diesel pusher - How big is too big???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Looking to buy a diesel pusher - How big is too big???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
TheLostDutchman

Prescott Valley, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/17 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So here is the story... We've been RVers since the late '70s. Started in a van conversion, moved up to a small class "c", then up to a 30 foot fifth wheel. We are shifting away from our current camping style - a good deal of which was spent primitive (dry) camping and trail riding in the back country interspersed with long, cross country sight-seeing trips.

We have now decided to go full time this year and pretty much stick to cross country sight seeing. We've spent several months shopping around and paring down the list of coaches we like and have narrowed it down to two. But they are both in the 40 to 45 foot range.

We will probably move around a lot in the new rig, but stay in any given area long enough to really check out all the local sights and offerings. We may stay in one place a couple of days, or maybe a month. Just depends.

We keep hearing rumors that many people regretted moving up into units that big and that begs the question: How big is too big?

We really like the 45 footers but do not want to stay in big, expensive luxury resorts... not our style. And we will have a 4X4 toad that will get us to the places we want to see. I know we won't fit in most state and national parks, but should be able to find a suitable RV parks within a reasonable driving distance... Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here?

Please share your experiences, thoughts, and advice... We only get one chance to do this right... can't afford a mistake. Thanks in advance.
Bill & Nettie.

Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/17 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have been RVing for longer than us so I don't know about giving you any advise but I'll share a couple thoughts. We went from 36', to 40', to 44' over 20 years and have zero regrets. We chose the size of rig we wanted to live in over where we go with it.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 2014 Ford Edge
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/17 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stay in standard RV parks that are not expensive luxury ones. They can easily accommodate 45' rigs. If you like the floor plan etc, go for it.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
[email protected]
602-321-8141
K7OU
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

TheLostDutchman

Prescott Valley, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/17 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you both for your quick replies. We were just at the Phoenix Good Sam's RV Show... Spent a week there and found exactly what we think we are looking for. Glad to hear neither of you have regrets or issues.
Thanks again. Bill

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/17 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Bill,

We have been RV'ing regularly since 2007 owing a 42' coach for 7.5 yrs. and now the current 45' coach just over 2 yrs. Very few times have parks not been able to accommodate us.

The Denver area has always been the most difficult place to get a RV park reservation.

We like RV resorts as they usually are gated and guarded and are in fun cities to visit. But, we have stayed in everything else in between!

I have to say, I can tell a difference in the 3 additional feet. I have to be a little more careful making tight turns and watching rear swing. But, it's worth having the extra space and a bath and a half.

Because of our size, I also have to watch for low tree branches which you would with any larger coach.

Good luck,
MM.

Mr.Mark

Liberty Coach
Lincoln MKX

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/17 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One place of which I know is: Hwy 140 from Yosemite to Merced, CA has a bridge with a 40 foot limit. Also potentially it may be hard to find an RV park with an available long space, mandating good planning.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/17 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully you can keep your smaller units for those back off the grid places you like so well... Nothing wrong with having both unless going full time does away with your home base idea where you can keep extra things stored...

I never made it to the big items but I imagine I would not be able to keep up with maintenance and added costs involved with those hugh machines...

We are in our mid 70s now and still like the RV CAMPING idea verses the RV TRAVELING idea... This keeps up for the most part within 200 miles or so around our home base with maybe a couple of longer trips down to the Myrtle Beach and Gatlinburg areas to visit with family...

My younger sister and her hubby had the hugh 5th wheel and traveled all over with it so I got to hear about all of the expenses involved keeping all of that up in good shape. Then they started staying in West banks of FLA for several months a year and finally got rid of the 5th wheel and got a winter home in FLA. Now they drive down and spend the winter months there in the FLA home...

If you gots the resources go far it haha... We are back to tent camping this season until we find some good prices of our battery bank replacement costs. Kinda looking forward to that haha...

Thats what we lived for back in the 60s and 70s especially when we was living in the Arizona area going to the high country alot there...

Nothing wrong with this setup for sure hehe...
[image]
Roy's Image

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/17 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TheLostDutchman wrote:

So here is the story... We've been RVers since the late '70s. Started in a van conversion, moved up to a small class "c", then up to a 30 foot fifth wheel. We are shifting away from our current camping style - a good deal of which was spent primitive (dry) camping and trail riding in the back country interspersed with long, cross country sight-seeing trips.

We have now decided to go full time this year and pretty much stick to cross country sight seeing. We've spent several months shopping around and paring down the list of coaches we like and have narrowed it down to two. But they are both in the 40 to 45 foot range.

We will probably move around a lot in the new rig, but stay in any given area long enough to really check out all the local sights and offerings. We may stay in one place a couple of days, or maybe a month. Just depends.

We keep hearing rumors that many people regretted moving up into units that big and that begs the question: How big is too big?

We really like the 45 footers but do not want to stay in big, expensive luxury resorts... not our style. And we will have a 4X4 toad that will get us to the places we want to see. I know we won't fit in most state and national parks, but should be able to find a suitable RV parks within a reasonable driving distance... Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here?

Please share your experiences, thoughts, and advice... We only get one chance to do this right... can't afford a mistake. Thanks in advance.
Bill & Nettie.

When we were shopping for an "A" in the 34-36 foot range, we bought a 40' and never have regretted it. I don't see if another 4-5 feet would make a difference. you are moving into the type of camping we do, stop in an area we want to see, and spend Time checking it out.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/17 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few states have, or at least recently had, a 40' limit on legal motorhome length. In practice I doubt you'd be cited for a 45' rig anywhere unless you were doing something ill-advised with it (i.e. going down a road where you're clearly too long for the conditions). But, if you want to be legal anywhere in the US, you should probably limit the length to 40'.

Lwiddis

:( la Reina de los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/17 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forty-five feet is only two feet longer than I am hooked up.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Looking to buy a diesel pusher - How big is too big???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS