cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended Mirrors For 1/2 ton

Galena
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to purchase new 1/2 ton truck, do I need to get a truck with the extended mirrors like used with the 3/4 ton trucks for a 30 TT?
๐Ÿ™‚
52 REPLIES 52

NYcampingnut
Explorer
Explorer
Factory tow mirrors would be great, but it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me if a truck didnt have them. I have the factory style tow mirrors on my 2010 Ram. They were not on the truck when I bought it, I was able to buy a set of aftermarket ones on eBay for quite a bit less than OE. They work just as well, fitment was good and the finish on them is great. It took all of 15 minutes to swap them out.

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
Galena wrote:
Getting ready to purchase new 1/2 ton truck, do I need to get a truck with the extended mirrors like used with the 3/4 ton trucks for a 30 TT?

Add on mirrors are nice, but factory or aftermarket tow mirrors are a lot better. I used Milenco Aero 3 mirrors and then pull the trigger on some aftermarket tow mirrors on Ebay. I really love them. I really couldn't justify the factory mirrors.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
True truck mirrors:
https://www.millsupply.com/medium-duty-truck-parts/mirrors/mirrors-for-ford/west-coast-mirrors-for-ford/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Tow mirrors are one of my favorite things. 2015 Denali 1500, I put factory 2500 towing mirrors on. 2015 F150 went to Kansas to find a Lariat with them as OEM. Then bought a 2016 Denali Duramax with them on the truck. Now I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with the aauto.com OEM clone tow mirrors. These are the best. The Ram, of course, uses the flip-up style to create a west coast tow mirror. Awesome visibility. Tow mirrors are available on 2017 Ram 1500 trucks, but they aren't power fold. Always a requirement for me. Try going through a bank drive-thru with them out... not pretty. The aauto.com mirrors are indistinguishable from stock.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
nomadnewby wrote:
Do any tow mirrors allow you to see if there's a car behind your trailer??

Thanks

They allow you to see a car closer to behind your trailer. You can see the difference.

Of course, if he is 5 feet from your trailer bumper and right in the middle of the trailer you are not going to see him.

nomadnewby
Explorer
Explorer
Do any tow mirrors allow you to see if there's a car behind your trailer??

Thanks

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Galena wrote:

I would, because they extended farther than the add-on mirrors.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a old thread. After reading it I found these mirrors for my truck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007L2JNT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work well. There is no vibration on this truck at all. This may have to do with the way the origanl mirrors are mounted from the factory.

I am just a weekend camper. I often don't even take these off and leave them on during the week.

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
HuckleberryHunter wrote:
I used the McKesh style clamp on mirrors on my half ton. I really liked them and they did the job well even if it was a bit of a pain to get them set up each trip. Even though they're not as good as the factory installed towing mirrors (I really like the ones on my new 3/4 ton Silverado!) I'd still recommend them. I think even if I were going to buy a 1/2 ton now, I'd stick with the clamp on mirrors. I don't tow all the time so it's nice to get rid of those large mirrors when not towing a trailer. The stock towing mirrors (at least GM) are a pretty big sight obstruction and take some getting used to for every day driving.

I also recommend the McKesh. Been using them for 11+ years now and they work great. For my next truck, however, I'll get factory installed so it's one less thing and looks better. IMO, those who don't "need" towing mirrors are naive or are towing a very narrow trailer. They make a huge difference.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

searfoss
Explorer
Explorer
Galena wrote:

ABSOLUTELY YES YES YES!
After towing 12 years with standard mirrors on my Ram I replaced them with towing mirrors. All I can say is OMG what a difference! I regret not paying for the OEM towing mirrors earlier. Don't waste your time on all the low cost alternatives with velcro or rubber bands etc do it the right way you will not regret it.
Poconos Pennsylvania
2016 Kodiak 286 BHSL
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear

RIP Mike, we miss you so much

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Ford's factory towing mirrors are hands down the best as far as I'm concerned. Any factory mirror is better than aftermarket though.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
I don't know what the latest Ford factory tow mirrors look like, but on my 2008 F250 the factory tow mirrors are awesome! and Huge! Call them "Dumbo ears" but man are they nice, towing or not.
We have'em on our '09 F250 and they are totally awesome. The large glass area really helps. I wish the right side would extend out a bit more as the awning arms obstruct the view somewhat.

We bought Cipa mirrors for our old 2000 F150. The were a nuisance to re&re and the glass area was so small. Found a pair of OEM manual towing mirrors on ebay for cheap because the Ford dealer that listed them had a poor description that attracted little attention. I've found that on other items too from time to time.

SoundGuy wrote:

That said, I'm dealing right now on a 2012 Silverado to replace my aging Avalanche for towing and although I'd prefer to replace the stock mirrors with factory tow mirrors that's just not going to happen for $1000+ Cdn. :E
I see that ebay has a ton of power towing mirrors for an '07-'14 Silverado around $100-$200USD and look similar to OEM but don't know if any good. The few that are listed as OEM are around $500USD and if shipped to Canada would end up towards $1KCan incl. shipping & exchange which is silly. My BIL owns an auto parts store (BC) and can get us a good wholesale discount but usually says check ebay.com first...

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RockDodger wrote:
My experience with aftermarket mirrors is that they wobble in the wind and vibrate to a point where rear visibility is sometimes non-existent.

SoundGuy wrote:
I've owned factory tow mirrors before and although I wouldn't disagree they're the best option they are an expensive option. These CIPAs I'm now using are rock solid at any speed. :B

RPreeb wrote:
I use similar, not CIPA, but same principle and they are rock solid. No vibration - work great and a much better price point.

Probably Longview towing mirrors? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new 2017 RAM Rebel.
For $530 I got the Trailer Tow Mirrors AND the brake controller.

The mirrors normally lie horizontally and rotate up and out for trailer towing.